Suggestions please - cordless webcam needed.

I want a web cam that is:
1) Cordless.
2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from PC).
3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
4) Motion detection (*essential*).
5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken (ideally).
6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up the cam on my
website too.

I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't seem to
sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd? Also,
Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened? Don't
Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they didn't sell
too well.

Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?

Thanks!
Owen
15 answers Last reply
More about suggestions cordless webcam needed

    In news:3C_Uc.35$ll5.14@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
    owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
    > I want a web cam that is:
    > 1) Cordless.
    > 2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from
    > PC). 3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
    > 4) Motion detection (*essential*).
    > 5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken
    > (ideally). 6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up
    > the cam on my website too.
    >
    > I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't
    > seem to sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd?
    > Also, Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened?
    > Don't Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they
    > didn't sell too well.
    >
    > Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Owen

    hey owen have you tried ebay ?

    regards slayer

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >I want a web cam that is:
    >1) Cordless.
    >2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from PC).
    >3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
    >4) Motion detection (*essential*).
    >5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken (ideally).
    >6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up the cam on my
    >website too.
    >
    >I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't seem to
    >sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd? Also,
    >Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened? Don't
    >Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they didn't sell
    >too well.
    >
    >Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?

    The quality of the pix generally follows the quality of the cam.
    Sony CCD sensor based cams are good. Good lighting is imporatant.
    for good quality. You may need to get software seperate from what
    is supplied with the cam. Below are some places to see what is
    available.

    http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
    http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
    http://www.supercircuits.com/
    http://www.matco.com/
    http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    http://www.polarisusa.com/
    http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
    >

    > http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
    > http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
    > http://www.supercircuits.com/
    > http://www.matco.com/
    > http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    > http://www.polarisusa.com/
    > http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

    Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all seem
    to be USA centric.

    Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
    find any web cams. Help?

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:21:34 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
    >>

    >> http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
    >> http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
    >> http://www.supercircuits.com/
    >> http://www.matco.com/
    >> http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    >> http://www.polarisusa.com/
    >> http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    >> http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
    >
    >Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all seem
    >to be USA centric.
    >
    >Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
    >find any web cams. Help?

    You probably need to do google searches for security cam
    suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
    also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
    software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
    the below site for cameras and video senders.

    http://www.maplin.co.uk/
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    > >Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
    seem
    > >to be USA centric.
    > >
    > >Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
    > >find any web cams. Help?
    >
    > You probably need to do google searches for security cam
    > suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
    > also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
    > software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
    > the below site for cameras and video senders.

    OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
    webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
    one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
    Is this really so unusual?

    Owen
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    owen wrote:

    > "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
    >
    > seem
    >
    >>>to be USA centric.
    >>>
    >>>Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
    >>>find any web cams. Help?
    >>
    >>You probably need to do google searches for security cam
    >>suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
    >>also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
    >>software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
    >>the below site for cameras and video senders.
    >

    > OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
    > webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
    > one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
    > Is this really so unusual?
    >

    > Owen

    Well, speaking personally, I don't use cordless webcams, so I can't
    comment or make any recommendations. Check the security of it -
    otherwise potentially anyone else could 'eavesdrop' on the feed from it.

    --

    Velvet
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

    >"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >> >Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
    >seem
    >> >to be USA centric.
    >> >
    >> >Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
    >> >find any web cams. Help?
    >>
    >> You probably need to do google searches for security cam
    >> suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
    >> also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
    >> software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
    >> the below site for cameras and video senders.
    >

    >OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
    >webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
    >one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
    >Is this really so unusual?

    It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
    probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
    "cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
    power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
    Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
    (usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
    might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
    requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
    can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
    look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
    *minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
    the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    > It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
    > probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
    > "cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
    > power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
    > Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
    > (usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
    > might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
    > requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
    > can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
    > look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
    > *minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
    > the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".

    OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:

    1. Must be cordless.
    2. Must have motion capture.

    How about now? got any suggestions?

    Owen
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    In news:NupVc.43$E3.37@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
    owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
    > "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
    >> probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
    >> "cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
    >> power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
    >> Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
    >> (usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
    >> might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
    >> requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
    >> can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
    >> look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
    >> *minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
    >> the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
    >>

    > OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:
    >
    > 1. Must be cordless.
    > 2. Must have motion capture.
    >
    > How about now? got any suggestions?
    >
    > Owen

    as si asked what power requirements can you use? battery or mains?

    for a camera that can do both but isnt a webcam as such but a cctv camera
    that connects to a capture card.. then ebay is the place to look.. search
    for wirless cameras
    you can get a radio transmitted camera pic to a reciever at yr pc (range
    100m)
    use a capture card to view the image transmitted and use easyfreewebcam to
    capture and upload and/or email the image straight from your dektop up to
    yur website or email address.

    these wireless cameras are shipped from hong kong for £20 uk.... you get
    everything including the reciever and cables needed,, all you have to buy
    over here is the power adapters..
    (i use 4 of these cams and they are really good and cheap.) and very small
    about the size of an oxo cube ! they also run on 9 volt batteries too but
    they dont last more than 6-8 hours.
    the easyfreewebcam software uses desktop capture to grab the image and email
    it or upload it to my website http://nigga.no-ip.com/ click the webcam
    link...

    i know my cameras are not straight but i havent the time to mess with
    them...

    this is how i do similar to what you ask... if you want an easier solution
    then you will have to do some work first...

    hope this helps

    regards slayer
  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    ThE SlAyEr wrote:

    > In news:NupVc.43$E3.37@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
    > owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
    >
    >>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
    >>>probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
    >>>"cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
    >>>power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
    >>>Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
    >>>(usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
    >>>might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
    >>>requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
    >>>can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
    >>>look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
    >>>*minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
    >>>the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
    >>>

    >>OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:
    >>
    >>1. Must be cordless.
    >>2. Must have motion capture.
    >>
    >>How about now? got any suggestions?
    >>
    >>Owen
    >

    > as si asked what power requirements can you use? battery or mains?
    >
    > for a camera that can do both but isnt a webcam as such but a cctv camera
    > that connects to a capture card.. then ebay is the place to look.. search
    > for wirless cameras
    > you can get a radio transmitted camera pic to a reciever at yr pc (range
    > 100m)
    > use a capture card to view the image transmitted and use easyfreewebcam to
    > capture and upload and/or email the image straight from your dektop up to
    > yur website or email address.
    >
    > these wireless cameras are shipped from hong kong for £20 uk.... you get
    > everything including the reciever and cables needed,, all you have to buy
    > over here is the power adapters..
    > (i use 4 of these cams and they are really good and cheap.) and very small
    > about the size of an oxo cube ! they also run on 9 volt batteries too but
    > they dont last more than 6-8 hours.
    > the easyfreewebcam software uses desktop capture to grab the image and email
    > it or upload it to my website http://nigga.no-ip.com/ click the webcam
    > link...
    >
    > i know my cameras are not straight but i havent the time to mess with
    > them...
    >
    > this is how i do similar to what you ask... if you want an easier solution
    > then you will have to do some work first...
    >
    > hope this helps
    >
    > regards slayer

    Got a q for you Slayer - you have 4 of those wireless cams, right? How
    many receivers do you need, and is it one per tv capture card?

    I'm pondering for 20 quid it'd do me my third (and maybe fourth) cam
    really well, given the logistics of getting cabling to where I want it,
    but I need to know how it hooks into the PC capture card first...

    --

    Velvet
  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    > Got a q for you Slayer - you have 4 of those wireless cams, right? How
    > many receivers do you need, and is it one per tv capture card?
    >
    > I'm pondering for 20 quid it'd do me my third (and maybe fourth) cam
    > really well, given the logistics of getting cabling to where I want
    > it, but I need to know how it hooks into the PC capture card first...

    its basically a composite input signal.. like a camcorder.

    plugs into the phono in at the capture card.
    if you would like to go for more cameras then you need a dvr card from ebay
    too (£20)

    each camera comes with a reciever so if you only have one capture card then
    you can only have one cam in im afraid. thats why i use a dvr card for the
    four inputs.
    i recently bought a seperate reciever and integrated lcd display that is
    totally portable to view my 4 cameras wirelessly round the house....hang on
    ill find some links for you on ebay....

    dont buy a more expensive camera on there as they are the same as i can get
    for £20,,,,
    id happily get one and forward ot to you for that price if you have any
    trouble,, in fact i can order it and have it sent direct to your address
    from the suppliers if needed...

    you have to bid on the cameras but find one that is listed for 0.99 then bid
    a pound....
    assuming you have registered on ebay...
    when the auction ends the cam will be yours as no one will bid....wierd but
    thats how it happens...

    the postage from hong kong varies but averages out at 18 to 20 quid...making
    the total around 20 quid.

    ive bought around 30 of these ina ll and sold them off for a rather nice
    profit after supplying the scart adapter and power supplies...(£75 for the
    fulll package)
    but i dont deal in them so much now.
    i just bid on one for 0.99 postage 25 quid.. more than i usually pay but it
    seems the prices are creeping up.. still for the 26 quid i get a camera,
    reciever and power supplies too....also all the cables needed... so its a
    good deal.just takes up tooo ten days to arrive.

    go to ebay and search for this member or go here :
    http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=chinaezone&completed=0&sort=3&since=-1

    this is his shop.. i get all my stuff from here

    the member is called chinaezone

    his rating says it all...but like i say if you are not registered with ebay
    ill be glad to help as i have a good rating and have been registered for
    years now..

    bloody hell i typed a whole novel !!

    regards slayer
  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote in news:cg2a2s$9rn$1
    @sparta.btinternet.com:

    > Re: Suggestions please - cordless webcam needed.

    Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
    control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head", but I
    all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet with a clear
    picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the computer. Any ideas
    would be helpful!
    PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
    TIA - John -
  13. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
    <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
    >control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head", but I
    >all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet with a clear
    >picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the computer. Any ideas
    >would be helpful!
    >PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
    >TIA - John -

    You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
    that have the range you need.

    http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
    http://www.matco.com/
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in

    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
    > <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
    >>control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head",
    >>but I all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet
    >>with a clear picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the
    >>computer. Any ideas would be helpful!
    >>PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
    >>TIA - John -
    >
    > You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
    > that have the range you need.
    >
    > http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
    > http://www.matco.com/

    Thanks much for the pointers and they will be considered - but this is a
    low budget projet to start so I will see about how much I want to put into
    all of this ;-) I will keep you all posted about ow it goes!
  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    In article <Xns9554DA0291CB4jkporterhawaiicom@66.75.162.196>,
    John Porter <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in
    >
    > > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
    > > <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
    > >>control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head",
    > >>but I all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet
    > >>with a clear picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the
    > >>computer. Any ideas would be helpful!
    > >>PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
    > >>TIA - John -
    > >
    > > You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
    > > that have the range you need.
    > >
    > > http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
    > > http://www.matco.com/
    > >

    > Thanks much for the pointers and they will be considered - but this is a
    > low budget projet to start so I will see about how much I want to put into
    > all of this ;-) I will keep you all posted about ow it goes!

    If you want to take things part, see what you can do about increasing
    the length of the antenna. Range will be extended.

Webcams Logitech Peripherals