Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Suggestions please - cordless webcam needed.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
August 19, 2004 1:42:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

I want a web cam that is:
1) Cordless.
2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from PC).
3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
4) Motion detection (*essential*).
5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken (ideally).
6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up the cam on my
website too.

I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't seem to
sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd? Also,
Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened? Don't
Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they didn't sell
too well.

Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?

Thanks!
Owen
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 5:31:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

In news:3C_Uc.35$ll5.14@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
> I want a web cam that is:
> 1) Cordless.
> 2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from
> PC). 3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
> 4) Motion detection (*essential*).
> 5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken
> (ideally). 6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up
> the cam on my website too.
>
> I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't
> seem to sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd?
> Also, Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened?
> Don't Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they
> didn't sell too well.
>
> Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
>
> Thanks!
> Owen

hey owen have you tried ebay ?

regards slayer
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>I want a web cam that is:
>1) Cordless.
>2) Has a reasonable cordless range (at least 5 or 6 meteres away from PC).
>3) Good pic quality. (1024 x 768 ideal)
>4) Motion detection (*essential*).
>5) Can email the pics somewhere automatically when they're taken (ideally).
>6) Has software for the above, and maybe for setting up the cam on my
>website too.
>
>I was interested in the Logitech Cordless QuickCam but they don't seem to
>sell it anymore, it's no longer listed on their site. Wierd? Also,
>Amazon.co.uk list this one as "discontinued". What happened? Don't
>Logitech want to provide cordless cams anymore? Perhaps they didn't sell
>too well.
>
>Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?

The quality of the pix generally follows the quality of the cam.
Sony CCD sensor based cams are good. Good lighting is imporatant.
for good quality. You may need to get software seperate from what
is supplied with the cam. Below are some places to see what is
available.

http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
http://www.supercircuits.com/
http://www.matco.com/
http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
http://www.polarisusa.com/
http://www.gtsecurity.com/
http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
Related resources
August 19, 2004 8:21:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:4124b8dc.373385940@news.comporium.net...
> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
>

>
> http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
> http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
> http://www.supercircuits.com/
> http://www.matco.com/
> http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
> http://www.polarisusa.com/
> http://www.gtsecurity.com/
> http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID

Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all seem
to be USA centric.

Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
find any web cams. Help?
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 8:21:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 16:21:34 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>
>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
>news:4124b8dc.373385940@news.comporium.net...
>> On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:42:23 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Any alternatives and/or places to buy one?
>>
>
>>
>> http://www.veo.com/Observer-Wireless/default.asp
>> http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=60
>> http://www.supercircuits.com/
>> http://www.matco.com/
>> http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
>> http://www.polarisusa.com/
>> http://www.gtsecurity.com/
>> http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
>
>Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all seem
>to be USA centric.
>
>Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
>find any web cams. Help?

You probably need to do google searches for security cam
suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
the below site for cameras and video senders.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/
August 20, 2004 12:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:4124cc6a.378392770@news.comporium.net...
> >Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
seem
> >to be USA centric.
> >
> >Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
> >find any web cams. Help?
>
> You probably need to do google searches for security cam
> suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
> also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
> software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
> the below site for cameras and video senders.


OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
Is this really so unusual?


Owen
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 12:50:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

owen wrote:

> "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> news:4124cc6a.378392770@news.comporium.net...
>
>>>Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
>
> seem
>
>>>to be USA centric.
>>>
>>>Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
>>>find any web cams. Help?
>>
>>You probably need to do google searches for security cam
>>suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
>>also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
>>software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
>>the below site for cameras and video senders.
>
>
>
> OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
> webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
> one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
> Is this really so unusual?
>
>
> Owen
>
>

Well, speaking personally, I don't use cordless webcams, so I can't
comment or make any recommendations. Check the security of it -
otherwise potentially anyone else could 'eavesdrop' on the feed from it.

--


Velvet
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 5:41:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:

>
>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
>news:4124cc6a.378392770@news.comporium.net...
>> >Thanks Si, do you know of any UK-based sites I could try? These all
>seem
>> >to be USA centric.
>> >
>> >Also I've looked on the Sony website (www.sony.co.uk) and cannot seem to
>> >find any web cams. Help?
>>
>> You probably need to do google searches for security cam
>> suppliers in the UK, and check the electronic surplus places
>> also. With analog cams, you can mix and match hardware and
>> software to get close to what you want. You might want look at
>> the below site for cameras and video senders.
>
>
>OK but I'm surprised *nobody* on here can think of any particular cordless
>webcam that I could take a look at? I'm surprised the answer is "search for
>one here, etc".... as if there's no well-known webcam that meets my needs.
>Is this really so unusual?

It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
"cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
(usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
*minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
August 20, 2004 8:17:49 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:4125f935.455383566@news.comporium.net...
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>
> It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
> probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
> "cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
> power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
> Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
> (usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
> might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
> requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
> can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
> look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
> *minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
> the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
>


OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:

1. Must be cordless.
2. Must have motion capture.

How about now? got any suggestions?

Owen
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 11:20:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

In news:NupVc.43$E3.37@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
> "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
> news:4125f935.455383566@news.comporium.net...
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>> It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
>> probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
>> "cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
>> power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
>> Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
>> (usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
>> might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
>> requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
>> can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
>> look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
>> *minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
>> the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
>>
>
>
> OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:
>
> 1. Must be cordless.
> 2. Must have motion capture.
>
> How about now? got any suggestions?
>
> Owen

as si asked what power requirements can you use? battery or mains?

for a camera that can do both but isnt a webcam as such but a cctv camera
that connects to a capture card.. then ebay is the place to look.. search
for wirless cameras
you can get a radio transmitted camera pic to a reciever at yr pc (range
100m)
use a capture card to view the image transmitted and use easyfreewebcam to
capture and upload and/or email the image straight from your dektop up to
yur website or email address.

these wireless cameras are shipped from hong kong for £20 uk.... you get
everything including the reciever and cables needed,, all you have to buy
over here is the power adapters..
(i use 4 of these cams and they are really good and cheap.) and very small
about the size of an oxo cube ! they also run on 9 volt batteries too but
they dont last more than 6-8 hours.
the easyfreewebcam software uses desktop capture to grab the image and email
it or upload it to my website http://nigga.no-ip.com/ click the webcam
link...

i know my cameras are not straight but i havent the time to mess with
them...

this is how i do similar to what you ask... if you want an easier solution
then you will have to do some work first...

hope this helps

regards slayer
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 1:18:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

ThE SlAyEr wrote:

> In news:NupVc.43$E3.37@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net,
> owen <spam@spam.com> , the one with no sense -typed:
>
>>"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
>>news:4125f935.455383566@news.comporium.net...
>>
>>>On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 08:50:26 GMT, "owen" <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>It isn't unusual. You have set a series of requiremnts that
>>>probably can't be obtained in a single cam package. The need for
>>>"cordless" (does it need to be battery powered, or can it have a
>>>power cord?) probably eliminates 90% of the cams on the market.
>>>Your high resolution requirement eliminates the analog cams
>>>(usually 640x480 max). Lot sof security software around that
>>>might meet the requiremnets. If the quickcam meets these
>>>requirements, then you really need to look around for one. You
>>>can check with security companys for setups like you want, but
>>>look for spending serious $$$. I suggest you start with the
>>>*minimum* requirement you *must* have and work from there. Like
>>>the old saying "Good, fast, and cheap..., chose any two.".
>>>
>>
>>
>>OK, I see what you mean. Let me reduce the requirement:
>>
>>1. Must be cordless.
>>2. Must have motion capture.
>>
>>How about now? got any suggestions?
>>
>>Owen
>
>
> as si asked what power requirements can you use? battery or mains?
>
> for a camera that can do both but isnt a webcam as such but a cctv camera
> that connects to a capture card.. then ebay is the place to look.. search
> for wirless cameras
> you can get a radio transmitted camera pic to a reciever at yr pc (range
> 100m)
> use a capture card to view the image transmitted and use easyfreewebcam to
> capture and upload and/or email the image straight from your dektop up to
> yur website or email address.
>
> these wireless cameras are shipped from hong kong for £20 uk.... you get
> everything including the reciever and cables needed,, all you have to buy
> over here is the power adapters..
> (i use 4 of these cams and they are really good and cheap.) and very small
> about the size of an oxo cube ! they also run on 9 volt batteries too but
> they dont last more than 6-8 hours.
> the easyfreewebcam software uses desktop capture to grab the image and email
> it or upload it to my website http://nigga.no-ip.com/ click the webcam
> link...
>
> i know my cameras are not straight but i havent the time to mess with
> them...
>
> this is how i do similar to what you ask... if you want an easier solution
> then you will have to do some work first...
>
> hope this helps
>
> regards slayer
>
>
>

Got a q for you Slayer - you have 4 of those wireless cams, right? How
many receivers do you need, and is it one per tv capture card?

I'm pondering for 20 quid it'd do me my third (and maybe fourth) cam
really well, given the logistics of getting cabling to where I want it,
but I need to know how it hooks into the PC capture card first...

--


Velvet
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 12:57:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

>
> Got a q for you Slayer - you have 4 of those wireless cams, right? How
> many receivers do you need, and is it one per tv capture card?
>
> I'm pondering for 20 quid it'd do me my third (and maybe fourth) cam
> really well, given the logistics of getting cabling to where I want
> it, but I need to know how it hooks into the PC capture card first...

its basically a composite input signal.. like a camcorder.

plugs into the phono in at the capture card.
if you would like to go for more cameras then you need a dvr card from ebay
too (£20)

each camera comes with a reciever so if you only have one capture card then
you can only have one cam in im afraid. thats why i use a dvr card for the
four inputs.
i recently bought a seperate reciever and integrated lcd display that is
totally portable to view my 4 cameras wirelessly round the house....hang on
ill find some links for you on ebay....

dont buy a more expensive camera on there as they are the same as i can get
for £20,,,,
id happily get one and forward ot to you for that price if you have any
trouble,, in fact i can order it and have it sent direct to your address
from the suppliers if needed...

you have to bid on the cameras but find one that is listed for 0.99 then bid
a pound....
assuming you have registered on ebay...
when the auction ends the cam will be yours as no one will bid....wierd but
thats how it happens...

the postage from hong kong varies but averages out at 18 to 20 quid...making
the total around 20 quid.

ive bought around 30 of these ina ll and sold them off for a rather nice
profit after supplying the scart adapter and power supplies...(£75 for the
fulll package)
but i dont deal in them so much now.
i just bid on one for 0.99 postage 25 quid.. more than i usually pay but it
seems the prices are creeping up.. still for the 26 quid i get a camera,
reciever and power supplies too....also all the cables needed... so its a
good deal.just takes up tooo ten days to arrive.

go to ebay and search for this member or go here :
http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOthe...

this is his shop.. i get all my stuff from here

the member is called chinaezone

his rating says it all...but like i say if you are not registered with ebay
ill be glad to help as i have a good rating and have been registered for
years now..

bloody hell i typed a whole novel !!

regards slayer
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 2:52:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"ThE SlAyEr" <phlem1@btinternet.com> wrote in news:cg2a2s$9rn$1
@sparta.btinternet.com:

> Re: Suggestions please - cordless webcam needed.

Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head", but I
all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet with a clear
picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the computer. Any ideas
would be helpful!
PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
TIA - John -
Anonymous
August 29, 2004 5:10:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
<jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
>control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head", but I
>all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet with a clear
>picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the computer. Any ideas
>would be helpful!
>PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
>TIA - John -

You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
that have the range you need.

http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
http://www.matco.com/
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 11:25:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in
news:4131d564.307710484@news.comporium.net:

> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
> <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
>>control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head",
>>but I all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet
>>with a clear picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the
>>computer. Any ideas would be helpful!
>>PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
>>TIA - John -
>
> You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
> that have the range you need.
>
> http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
> http://www.matco.com/
>
>

Thanks much for the pointers and they will be considered - but this is a
low budget projet to start so I will see about how much I want to put into
all of this ;-) I will keep you all posted about ow it goes!
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 10:39:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

In article <Xns9554DA0291CB4jkporterhawaiicom@66.75.162.196>,
John Porter <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

> shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net (Si Ballenger) wrote in
> news:4131d564.307710484@news.comporium.net:
>
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 10:52:48 GMT, John Porter
> > <jkporter2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Here is what I want to do: I would like to put a X10 cam on a remote
> >>control car/truck and the x10 I would like with the pan/tilt "head",
> >>but I all so want it to have an extended range of about 1000+ feet
> >>with a clear picture / sound back to either aa vcr or beter to the
> >>computer. Any ideas would be helpful!
> >>PS so far this is just in the thought prosess ;-)!
> >>TIA - John -
> >
> > You might find wireless video transmitters at the vbelow site
> > that have the range you need.
> >
> > http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
> > http://www.matco.com/
> >
> >
>
> Thanks much for the pointers and they will be considered - but this is a
> low budget projet to start so I will see about how much I want to put into
> all of this ;-) I will keep you all posted about ow it goes!

If you want to take things part, see what you can do about increasing
the length of the antenna. Range will be extended.
!