Big lba enabled, still only 137GB?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Running win2k pro. New about the problem with win2k not seeing the full drive. Have sp4 installed now. MS web site says sp3 resolves the issue. Ran the reg hack just to be safe and then checked it. It is enabled.

Bios sees it as the full 250GB. Popped my win2k cd in the drive like I was going to do a fresh install. It still only shows 137GB available to be partitioned. I'm assuming it because it's running off the cd so it can't use the reg hack. Anyone know of a different way thru win2k to get the rest of my drive partitioned? I know there's software out there that will do it, but after dropping all my cash on my new rig, don't really wanna spend any more. Any freeware out there?

Another odd thing. When I originally partitioned and formatted my drive, it wouldn't let me change the partition size. It gave me the opportunity to select partition size, but wouldn't accept the key strokes. Keyboard is working fine other than that. Never had a problem with it. Not a huge issue as I still have another 110 gigs or so to create more drives. Just thought it was odd. Also only gave me the option of NTFS. Used to see the option for fat32 on my old HDD.

Thanks guys.
BKJ

joex444

Distinguished
I assume that if you're using 2000 Pro you don't want to hear about how XP would a good choice.

So, I recently tried to install XP on a 250GB drive and had the same 137GB issue.

The solution I had was to slipstream SP2 into the XP CD.

Perhaps you can slipstream SP3 (why not SP4), into your W2K CD?

Failing that, I've also noticed that, atleast in XP, the 137GB issue only arises on the onboard controller. If your motherboard has a seperate controller card (perhaps an addin RAID chip that controls a seperate set of SATA or IDE connectors), when you give it a driver by pressing F6 this 137GB issues is nonexistent.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Actually figured this one out. :) Win2K Pro has a disk management utility. After getting the right sp installed, it sees the space. Can partition and format drive right from windows.