Sign in with
Your question

weird happenings with new xfx 7600gt

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2006 2:38:18 PM

Let me preface this by saying that I very out of the loop when it comes to troubleshooting graphics cards...the extent of my gaming in the past few years has been CS on a laptop.

I'm using a new system with a xfx 7600gt xxx, which is one of those cards that comes highly overclocked from the factory. I was playing Company of Heroes yesterday and I saw these weird rainbow colored artifacts on the screen (20" lcd via dvi). What was weird was that the artifacts were in the black letterboxed areas during cutscenes.

I tried initially using the newest drivers from nvidia and also the slightly older ones from the xfx site.

Is this just a buggy game or is it a problem with the card?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find the overclock settings in the nvidia control panel. I looked in google and the nvidia help, but they all point to a menu that doesn't have the overclock page...is there something that I need to do to unlock this?
December 2, 2006 3:39:04 PM

Quote:
Let me preface this by saying that I very out of the loop when it comes to troubleshooting graphics cards...the extent of my gaming in the past few years has been CS on a laptop.

I'm using a new system with a xfx 7600gt xxx, which is one of those cards that comes highly overclocked from the factory. I was playing Company of Heroes yesterday and I saw these weird rainbow colored artifacts on the screen (20" lcd via dvi). What was weird was that the artifacts were in the black letterboxed areas during cutscenes.

I tried initially using the newest drivers from nvidia and also the slightly older ones from the xfx site.

Is this just a buggy game or is it a problem with the card?

Also, I cannot for the life of me find the overclock settings in the nvidia control panel. I looked in google and the nvidia help, but they all point to a menu that doesn't have the overclock page...is there something that I need to do to unlock this?

To unlock the overclocking settings in the nVidia control panel download "coolbits". Search it in google and it should come up. Run the file, log off and then log back on, go into the nVidia control panel and, Voila! You should now have access to the overclocking options.

I think the most likely cause of those "artifacts" is the card overheating. There are a few reasons why this could have happened. One could be that the case's airflow isn't very good and the card isn't getting enough cool air. Another problem could simply be that the card is clocked too high from the factory!

Hope that'll be of some help to you!
Related resources
December 2, 2006 4:00:03 PM

If you dont get this on other games (may I recommend Medieval2:TW if you like RTS, awesome game)... it might be a game-specific issue.

Try lowering your clock speeds using the utilities people here mentionned to see if that helps. I used to have an EVGA 7600GT OC (factory overclocked, then additionnaly OC'd to 620/1600) but I never experienced any artifact problems in COH.... One thing to make sure is that your old video card drivers have been uninstalled properly (unless this is a totally new build/install).

If you get this problem in at least one more game, it's safe to say that you should exchange your card.
December 2, 2006 7:35:28 PM

I installed ntune and the card is running where its supposed to...590/1600. I looked at the temp of the card after a gaming session and it was in the mid to high 50s so I thought all was well.

After playing Company oh heroes a little while ago for about 2 hours everything was fine...The instant I finished the level I was playing, the rainbow artifacts cropped up, the system froze, had to do a hard boot. When I restarted the system I had multicolored pixels on my windows desktop allover the screen and the system was unresponsive.

My cpu runs pretty cool with the stock intel heatsink (core 2 e6400 no overclock, about 39 idle, high 40s load) The inside of my case is pretty neat, so I don't think theres an airflow problem. I'm using a cooler master centurion 5; 80mm intake, 120mm rear pretty standard stuff.

Also, I'm using a 400w power supply which I thought should be enough for my system according to the psu calculators online...Is there any free way to monitor power loads?

Medieval 2 was actually the first game that I installed on that system...it runs great with all settings maxed out at 1680x1050 but as resource intensive as company of heroes...Maybe I'll grab a copy of oblivion and see what that does.
December 2, 2006 7:59:17 PM

I just restarted the system after letting it sit off for a while. There are still rainbow artifacts on the desktop and the screen flickers on and off. I was able to look at the gpu temp and it was at 47... seems normal. There was also one of those windows "your system has recovered from a serious error" things and it blamed the display driver.

Another weird thing is that text shows up as little rectangles the size of each character. This happened in the game and on the windows shut down screen.
December 3, 2006 12:19:17 AM

RMA the card
December 4, 2006 3:07:00 PM

Especially if you are having these artifacts on the windows desktop you might need to RMA the card. Please start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and we can take care of this.

XFX Support
December 4, 2006 3:31:06 PM

Download Coolbit.

UNDERCLOCK the video card to about half of the current settings.

Test the game - the game should work - but if there is a thermal condition - it should go away. If this is the case - then RMA the card.

I had the same problem with the same card - this was the way that I was able to ensure that the problem was with the graphics card - otherwise they will give you a bit of a run-around with graphics drivers and such.

Good luck.
December 4, 2006 3:42:14 PM

Quote:
Especially if you are having these artifacts on the windows desktop you might need to RMA the card. Please start a support ticket at www.xfxforce.com and we can take care of this.

XFX Support

I think that about sums it up. Sounds like you need to RMA card.
December 6, 2006 3:39:04 PM

Once you start the support ticket, please let me know the number so I can follow up on it.

XFX Support
!