Help me build a DX10 Vista comp. around March.

knighton

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I am thinking abut building a new computer that has a budget under 2000 around March, 07. I would like this comp to be able to easily run Vista and new DX 10 games such as crysis and possibly a new COD3 . I would like this computer to be under 2000 around the date of March. I really dont care about ausome harddrives, but i would like 2 gs ram, a good processor, and a kickass DX 10 Graphics card(possibly the ATI DX generation). If you have any ideas or specs please reply.

Thanks

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
it'd probably be better to ask this question in the beginning of the new year. at this time, we should see ati's answer to the 8-series, as well as vista itself, which brings along dx10 and probably a bunch of other goodies (i for one am hoping that its increased ram usage will drive down prices on that front....i want like 4 gigs of ram!)

anyway, point is, it seems a little early right now, as alot will change, and specs aren't out yet for some of the particular goodies (ati's dx10 series namely). who knows, maybe amd's magic bullet cpus will be the forum's favorite at that time. point is, market is very open.

tmac

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2004
it'd probably be better to ask this question in the beginning of the new year. at this time, we should see ati's answer to the 8-series, as well as vista itself, which brings along dx10 and probably a bunch of other goodies (i for one am hoping that its increased ram usage will drive down prices on that front....i want like 4 gigs of ram!)

anyway, point is, it seems a little early right now, as alot will change, and specs aren't out yet for some of the particular goodies (ati's dx10 series namely). who knows, maybe amd's magic bullet cpus will be the forum's favorite at that time. point is, market is very open.

This is good advice. A lot of people are in wait mode for the RD600/R600
benches. Plus, you get the bonus of seeing the second generation of
the 8800 cards. I'm building mine in Feb/March also. I also want
4 gigs of Ram (it probably doesn't need it now) - But, I don't know if
32 bit Vista has the same limitation as XP.

freak1982

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
You guys are both right. Wait around till closer to the time.

Couple of things I would add. From what I have read Vista is a complete memory hogg, the Ultimate and Premium edition espescially(sp). 4Gb is going to be needed (at least) I believe it can support about 16Gb in total.

Although the better hadware will run the games better (obviously a DX10 card will be needed.) there are about 7 versions of Vista ranging from about £200 to £400! The more expensive versions look prettier but are they worth it just for that (for the average home user anyway)?

G

If you want to get some of your stuff for now, get your case, hdd, cddrive, maybe psu.

If you have the $2000 now, get a 3 month cd at your bank and earn some interest so you can buy even more powerful things. That is what i would do if I had to wait 2-4 months.