21" -- sony g520 vs. mitsubishi dp2060u

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I've searched and searched for reviews on top of the line monitors and am still having a hard time deciding the best ap grille 21"-22" monitor to choose. I've very good experience with my 17" cpd e200 but had to return a horrible cpd e540 21" (slight but annoying white shadows). Now I question sony's quality.

According to displaymate, the sony gdm f520 is the best followed by mitsubishi dp2060u. I've read reviews that the dp2060u is great for text and graphics but is just slightly dimmer than the sonys (sony's are very bright, so much I always reduce below default at night). Since the next best model (cpd g520) was not even listed, I tend to think that it loses to dp2060u. It's interesting to note the price difference between the dp2060u (~$800) and gdm f520 (~$1600) in spite of displaymate awards, though I don't care about value. I'm leaning towards the mitsu instead of the g520.

Does anyone have any compelling reasons and experiences with various sony and mitsubishi models and specifically between the dp2060u vs. the g520?

I know about the technology difference (one gun versus three) and don't care. Bottom line is actual picture quality.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
They both use one gun with three cathodes. Single gun single cathode designs are from monochrome monitors.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

<A HREF="http://www.monitorsdirect.com" target="_new">MonitorsDirect.com</A>

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I got this info directly form thg: "Only two manufacturers make tubes with Trinitron technology - Sony, with the FD Trinitron, and Mitsubishi, with the DiamondTron. The PerfectFlat by ViewSonic is actually an adaptation of the latter. The main difference between the two is that Sony uses three electron guns for the three basic RGB colors and Mitsubishi only uses one." (See http://www.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020319/index.html)I don't know, but putting your statments together it could be that Sony uses three guns with single color cathodes each while Mitsubishi uses one gun with three color cathodes. I think the confusion arises due to non-technical use of "gun" and "cathode". I don't myself, but I suspect smallest electron emitting device (whatever it's called)is probably called the same thing in its plural (i.e. one color "gun" when it contains three "sub guns or cathodes").

With that technicality aside, I'm still looking for overall better picture. The dp2060u or the CPD g520. Someone must have seen these two.

Quality is better than name brand, even regarding beloved AMD.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Simply put I have found most of the technology editors and writers dont have a clue about the subject they are writing about.

Just goes to show you that you shouldn’t believe everything you read on the Internet. In the THG example the illustration shows three guns and even in the text it says three guns. In reality there is one gun with three cathodes, this is what they call it an inline gun, because the three cathodes are in a line horizontally.

Look here for a photo of an electron gun
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question694.htm

See the three holes in the bottom picture, this is where the electron beams come out.

Jim

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
You are saying then, that three individual guns are not used (now or ever)? Well, the site you directed me to also talks about three guns. Is this another error or are you in err? Again, I don't know, but I can make simple deductions. If sony actually uses an inline gun, you should correct THG. Do you actually know this for a fact? Is there some design difference between diamondtron and trinitron where, depending on the semantics, one can be said to have three guns? I suspect there is though probably subtle. If not then you really should correct THG as this would be a blunder not in semantics but in concept, the latter being worse.

Jim, you must see many monitors. What's your opinion concerning the dp2060u versus the g520 and why? Come on spill it.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If you want to talk semantics, I guess you could say there are three guns, however in reality there are three guns (cathodes) in a single case. Like the photo in my previous link. I have never seen a monitor with three individual guns.

Sony invented the Trinitron (Aperture grill) technology. This is the mask structure behind the face of the tube. Mitsubishi licensed the technology from Sony. Sony’s patent has long expired, the Trinitron and Diamontron tubes are virtually identical.

I evaluate many of the brand names on the market. If you want my opinion I would not buy either. I built a Cornerstone p1750 that uses the same Mitsubishi NF CRT, and personally I think it can compete with either of these monitors.

Link to p1750 information
http://shop.monitorsdirect.com/product.asp?sku=1838410

You can pay for a brand name if you want, Intel for example, or you could buy AMD. Intel arguably is a better brand name just like Sony and Mitsubishi, Cornerstone is not such a big brand.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / Monitorsdirect.com

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
I am looking out for cornerstone, as the p1700 (shadow mask, though) won a displaymate award next to the eizof980. If they had some in retail stores my eyes could help me chose.

I'll trust you since you are not biased... ;) I guess you really can't tell me to choose your competition!

Then, what do think of the displaymate awards? Are they reliable source of evaluating monitors? Do they sample at least a few monitors to account for variance? Do they leave out some manufacturers in testing? For example, monitor "a" didn't win because it simply was not included in the test.

Since you evaluate and build monitors, I imagine you use displaymate or other diagnostic tool and can comment on the validity of such tests.

GoSharks

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I don’t know where you live, but none of the retail stores in my area sell any high end brand name monitors like Eizo or Cornerstone.

I’m very proud that Displaymate voted my monitor one of the best, this is a real honor. I use Displaymate along with other tools when I evaluate monitor. Unfortunately I do no know the details of how they test what monitors they use. Once a year we get a request from them to submit a monitor. I suspect that all the major brands get the same invitation.

Displaymate is a good measure from a subjective point of view. I use more objective means of testing, using convergence gauges, light meters etc. for a more accurate test.

Jim Witkowski
Chief Hardware Engineer
Cornerstone / MOnitorsdirect.com

compuhan

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2002
you're right, they don't sell any high end in mass market store. fry's actually was selling a few gdm fw900's, but only in very limited numbers (i hear these aren't that great, but their competition is virtually zero).

all manufacturers probably use their own "accurate tests", but i'd rather trust a third party unless had i the luxury of seeing all with my own eyes.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
rofl.
but maybe i can be a little helpful...
if this not bother you... ll

<i>if <b>you know</b> <font color=white>you don't know<font color=black>, the way could be more easy ...