Sign in with
Your question

Denied Access to Flash Drive

Last response: in Windows 8
December 10, 2012 8:23:07 AM

I just reinstalled Windows 8 Professional on m laptop. I have had it working before without any issues. I have this flash drive which I've used a lot with this computer and Windows 8. Suddenly it refuses to open my drive. It gives me this permissions error.

It doesn't matter if I reformat it (quick or long). It's currently FAT32 so I don't know why there would be any permissions (it links you to the security tab which doesn't exist). I just put the flash drive into my friend's XP desktop and it worked just fine. Once I removed it from my system (safely removed) it freezes my laptop. Upon restart I get this message (mind you, I just reinstalled Windows not more than an hour ago).

December 10, 2012 8:29:44 AM

You might have a virus.

What does clicking 'Continue' do?
December 10, 2012 8:29:50 AM

You might have a virus.

Related resources
December 10, 2012 8:29:53 AM

You might have a virus.

December 10, 2012 10:46:31 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
You might have a virus.

> mind you, I just installed Windows not more than an hour ago

Can't be a virus as I just reinstalled.

Simply tells me that I need to take permission manually. Then I click on Security and it brings up the properties window for the drive. However, there is no Security tab (because it's FAT32).
December 10, 2012 10:46:34 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
You might have a virus.

> mind you, I just installed Windows not more than an hour ago

Can't be a virus as I just reinstalled.

Simply tells me that I need to take permission manually. Then I click on Security and it brings up the properties window for the drive. However, there is no Security tab (because it's FAT32).
!