Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

webcam&software for monitoring

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 4:32:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Hi
I looking for good webcams and software for monitoring my firm. There is
a 10 agency office where i want to place webcams.

I need:
- good quality picture (max 640x480 & 1-3 fps depended on internet speed)
- streaming video & audio
- local video recording in HDD for future playback (max 640x480 &
5-15fps) - accessible by internet for downloading videos
- remote view software for viewing chosen webcam & record video stream

I have 10 computers:
- P4 - 2GHz, 256MB, 120GB
- Windows XP Pro
- DSL connection (256kbit upload speed; few office have 128kbit)

Best regards,
Peter
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 6:08:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:32:19 +0200, peterphk
<peterphk.no-fq.spam@wp.pl> wrote:

>Hi
>I looking for good webcams and software for monitoring my firm. There is
> a 10 agency office where i want to place webcams.
>
>I need:
>- good quality picture (max 640x480 & 1-3 fps depended on internet speed)
>- streaming video & audio
>- local video recording in HDD for future playback (max 640x480 &
>5-15fps) - accessible by internet for downloading videos
>- remote view software for viewing chosen webcam & record video stream
>
>I have 10 computers:
>- P4 - 2GHz, 256MB, 120GB
>- Windows XP Pro
>- DSL connection (256kbit upload speed; few office have 128kbit)
>
>Best regards,
>Peter

You may want to look at the Ivista security webcam software, as
it can do decent audio. The MS media encoder can also send audio,
and it is free. Below is my test page using ivista that has the
audio function.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:02:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

Assuming you already have routers in place,
and if you could live with smaller 320x240 frames
you might want to look at the likes of the dsc-2000 dlink mpeg network cams
and other makers of network cams too.

"peterphk" <peterphk.no-fq.spam@wp.pl> wrote in message
news:cg9smq$clj$1@news.dialog.net.pl...
> Hi
> I looking for good webcams and software for monitoring my firm. There is
> a 10 agency office where i want to place webcams.
>
> I need:
> - good quality picture (max 640x480 & 1-3 fps depended on internet speed)
> - streaming video & audio
> - local video recording in HDD for future playback (max 640x480 &
> 5-15fps) - accessible by internet for downloading videos
> - remote view software for viewing chosen webcam & record video stream
>
> I have 10 computers:
> - P4 - 2GHz, 256MB, 120GB
> - Windows XP Pro
> - DSL connection (256kbit upload speed; few office have 128kbit)
>
> Best regards,
> Peter
Related resources
August 27, 2004 6:12:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

"Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
news:4128a797.631073906@news.comporium.net...
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 12:32:19 +0200, peterphk
> <peterphk.no-fq.spam@wp.pl> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >I looking for good webcams and software for monitoring my firm. There is
> > a 10 agency office where i want to place webcams.
> >
> >I need:
> >- good quality picture (max 640x480 & 1-3 fps depended on internet speed)
> >- streaming video & audio
> >- local video recording in HDD for future playback (max 640x480 &
> >5-15fps) - accessible by internet for downloading videos
> >- remote view software for viewing chosen webcam & record video stream
> >
> >I have 10 computers:
> >- P4 - 2GHz, 256MB, 120GB
> >- Windows XP Pro
> >- DSL connection (256kbit upload speed; few office have 128kbit)
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Peter
>
> You may want to look at the Ivista security webcam software, as
> it can do decent audio. The MS media encoder can also send audio,
> and it is free. Below is my test page using ivista that has the
> audio function.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
>

Hi,

Could you give me some tips on how to accomplish a webcam setup for
outdoors? Perhaps maybe live feed onto a website? And also the possibility
of taking stills automatically (say every 10-15minutes), which can be saved
to the harddrive.

Would this be hard to accomplish?

Best,
SC
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:12:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:12:23 +0200, "SC" <X news@carolan.no X>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Could you give me some tips on how to accomplish a webcam setup for
>outdoors? Perhaps maybe live feed onto a website? And also the possibility
>of taking stills automatically (say every 10-15minutes), which can be saved
>to the harddrive.
>
>Would this be hard to accomplish?
>
>Best,
>SC

The usual setup for outdoor cams is a computer connected to the
internet with a capture card or device, an analog cam, and some
software on the computer to serve up the video. My page below
shows a simple (and free) setup to stream a video and
capture/save individual pix on a timed basis. I like the Winnov
AV capture cards you can get on ebay for a reasonable price.
Bottom are some cam suppliers. IP cams are becomming cheaper now,
but I don't have any experience with them.

http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webcamsetup.htm

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?i...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?i...
http://www.supercircuits.com/store/home.asp
http://www.matco.com/
http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
http://www.polarisusa.com/
http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
November 18, 2012 7:59:14 PM

I would suggest a dedicated wireless video surveillance systems. Network loading can render networked web cams into stuttering and halting video best described as a bit of garbage.

If you are in offices geographically separated, you can tie some of the systems I suggest together to a central recorder. Google "consumer grade 10 camera security systems" to find suppliers.

Most dedicated systems have a central unit and a monitor to check any or all cameras, and they don't suffer the network loading issues. They can also record on an internal hard drive video that is reliable to later use to support the company in prosecuting illegal acts by employees. Lots also can 'see in the dark' because they see infrared, and have infrared emitter diodes on their face pointing right at what you want to see in the dark. You can use a digital camera to check your TV remotes since they too can see infrared.

A good thing to do is have each employee sign a document detailing that on company premises, any and all actions MAY be recorded. Their signature would be their assent/consent to such recording. No signature, give them a pink slip. And make it part of all new hires. After I left law enforcement, I had network administration duties. I was burdened with several employees who liked to use company laptops for downloading porn. We got them on camera and via tracking IPs they visited, AND we had a policy (signed by all) in place.

I had to fire one guy, and oddly, the company GAVE him the laptop he had been using, and told him to leave immediately, which he quite happily did with porn still on the laptop... We would have likely wanted to dip it in Lysol anyhow! :sol: 

The others quit what he had been doing and it was back to business... If your company has a lawyer on retainer, they can supply a bullet resistant or bulletproof document as I suggest.

Most businesses that have security camera systems, and don't use networks due to loading issues I mentioned. Banks have a Federal mandate forced on them to have minimum standards as to surveillance, for obvious reasons. Most of these mandates are FBI driven, to help them find the criminals who hit banks.

I come from a background in law enforcement, so I have researched this quite a bit and done a few off duty jobs installing systems and testing and fine tuning them.

Good luck, and check with the legal staff before taping on premises to avoid a potential legal minefield.

Sgt. J.T. McF. Mood
CPD and HPD retired
(Living in Columbia SC in retirement)
!