How do I fix default owner?

When I got this new computer it was configured with one user, HP_Owner;
I immediately changed that name to my own, and this is the ONLY user
account on this computer. However, NOWHERE does my name show up (for
example, under "Documents and Settings"); instead, HP_Owner is still
listed. Right now, under "Documents and Settings," I have:

All Users
HP_Owner
Owner

I tried renaming the HP_Owner directory, but that yielded this error modal:

"HP_Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
properly. It cannot be moved or renamed."

So what gives?!

--

Treat yourself to a GREAT browser: www.Mozilla.org
4 answers Last reply

    Start>Control Panel>User Accounts>Change an Account

    "MozillaIsBest" wrote:

    > When I got this new computer it was configured with one user, HP_Owner;
    > I immediately changed that name to my own, and this is the ONLY user
    > account on this computer. However, NOWHERE does my name show up (for
    > example, under "Documents and Settings"); instead, HP_Owner is still
    > listed. Right now, under "Documents and Settings," I have:
    >
    > All Users
    > HP_Owner
    > Owner
    >
    > I tried renaming the HP_Owner directory, but that yielded this error modal:
    >
    > "HP_Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
    > properly. It cannot be moved or renamed."
    >
    > So what gives?!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Treat yourself to a GREAT browser: www.Mozilla.org

    Try the following, go to http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm,
    scroll to number 7, click "Change Registered Owner and Organization," in the
    right column.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    MozillaIsBest wrote:
    > When I got this new computer it was configured with one user, HP_Owner;
    > I immediately changed that name to my own, and this is the ONLY user
    > account on this computer. However, NOWHERE does my name show up (for
    > example, under "Documents and Settings"); instead, HP_Owner is still
    > listed. Right now, under "Documents and Settings," I have:
    >
    > All Users
    > HP_Owner
    > Owner
    >
    > I tried renaming the HP_Owner directory, but that yielded this error modal:
    >
    > "HP_Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
    > properly. It cannot be moved or renamed."
    >
    > So what gives?!

    What gives? The message you received was pretty explicit.

    The user profile folders (C:\Documents and Settings\Username)
    _cannot_ be renamed, even if the associated user account has been.
    So, your best course of action would be to log on using the built-in
    Administrator account, create a new user account, with the username
    desired. You can then delete the old user account(s).

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi,

    You cannot change the name of the user profile folder, only the name for the
    associated logon. Once created, these are fixed system folders (as the error
    message is trying to tell you). They can only be removed by deleting the
    associated user. To create a user profile folder with your name, you have to
    create a new account with that name.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "MozillaIsBest" <IDontWantAnySpam@fake.fake.com> wrote in message
    > When I got this new computer it was configured with one user, HP_Owner; I
    > immediately changed that name to my own, and this is the ONLY user account
    > on this computer. However, NOWHERE does my name show up (for example,
    > under "Documents and Settings"); instead, HP_Owner is still listed. Right
    > now, under "Documents and Settings," I have:
    >
    > All Users
    > HP_Owner
    > Owner
    >
    > I tried renaming the HP_Owner directory, but that yielded this error
    > modal:
    >
    > "HP_Owner is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run
    > properly. It cannot be moved or renamed."
    >
    > So what gives?!
    >
    > --
    >
    > Treat yourself to a GREAT browser: www.Mozilla.org

Default Computers Hewlett Packard Windows XP