First boot and install of OS

Rommell43

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Booted up...no mis connections

Things went well...for awhile. All fans and system lights working. Did the BIOS thing. OK. Started loading the operating system got a windows 7 install screen with the logol and everything. It then showed it was 'installing files' and at a certain pont it asked for a driver (I think for the hard drive). This is the problem...it appears not to recognize the HD. Western digital hard drives have built in drivers so the OS should have found them. I checked with WD forum and one entry said if the installing OS can't find the driver so it can load the OS, the HD must have failed. I guess this is the problem? I put my finger on the HD to see if I could feel if it was spinning. It feels like it might be spinning. Don't know for sure.

Another problem. I turned the computer off. Restarted with the OS disk in the cd drive. I get a DOS like window that says: "loading the operating system" and a blinking cursor. There is no indication its loading anything. Its been over an hour and no change.

Any ideas what I should do??

Rommell43

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Thanks addressing my problem. I have a WD 1002FAEX Black 1TB HD, a Gigabyte GA z68x-UD4-B3 mb. How do I make sure I boot from the CD? Since the fiirst time I put the OS installation disk in the CD drive I got the classic Windows 7 start installation window. I assumed here it was booting somehow from the CD drive.

I appreciate any further help.

Matt

Rommell43

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

I used the CMOS settings app to set the CD drive as the boot drive. This allowed windows to once again start the installation process normally, but then it asks 'where do you want to install the OS?' Apparently, Windows can't find the HD and ask for a driver. It says "no drives were found". However, CMOS list the HD WD 1002FAEX as on channel 4 as a Master and then gives some the HD's characteristics. CMOS seems to be saying the HD exist and is working but Windows 7 says otherwise.

I don't get it?

Rommell43

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

It is in IDE mode.