maitre

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
Hi,

I am wondering whether it's possible that bad memory can render an hdd unreadable?

Here's the story: Several weeks ago my PC suddenly froze and I had to pull the plug. At reboot, I got an error message about a disk read error. I installed a new hd and everything worked fine for about a week when, at boot, the PC started beeping constantly on end. I disconnected everything piece by piece, removed alll boards until only the CPU was left. It kept beeping. So I got a new mobo/cpu combo, installed windows xp (using the old memory) and everything worked fine for another 3 days.

Then the pc froze again. At reboot, I noticed that my slave hd, which acts as a backup, showed up not as "Maxtor" but as "Mahtor" and that the model name had some digits replaced by exclamation marks.

In windows explorer it showed up as local drive that needed to be formatted. So there was a second unredable drive wihtin two weeks and I'd like to find out how I can get my data back.

What could cause the hd name to change into "Mahtor"? I contacted the Maxtor tech support but needless to say, they didn't even bother to respond.

Can some of you experts shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Ed

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
You say your slave HDD has a spelling mistake in the name!

This can happen if 1 of the pins in the connector is bent over, causing a short. Thats the connector on the back of the HDD drive into which the IDE connector goes.

Have a close look with a torch and magnifier!