Sign in with
Your question

D805 heat issues

Last response: in Overclocking
December 2, 2006 5:12:14 PM

Apologies if this super redundant - atm the forum search seems to not be working.

I'm trying to build a max bang for buck budget game box.. so am debating to use the pentium D 805 and overclock it some. I read the big Tims Article on it, and it seems very informative except when it comes to heat, which is my largest concern as a first time overclocker. How far can I expect to safely clock it with the default sinkfan and case fans?

Will I need to overclock ram to match it? And thus cool it too?

What are some *super* cheap upgrades for cooling? (my budget is 400 for parts, plus what I can pull from old machine)

Will the processor lifespan be reduced? My current PC is a 1.4 ghz that has lasted since the clinton's were in office.

More about : d805 heat issues

December 2, 2006 5:34:37 PM

My suggestion would be to simply forgo the use of a D805 and go for a E6300 instead. The E6300 is twice the price of the D805, but it can easily beat up the 805, overclocked or not. W/ the E6300, you don't have to spend the extra $50-60 on the cooling to get the 805 up to the speeds where it actually gives decent performance.

D805 = $90 + $50 for cooling to get a good overclock = mini space heater
E6300 = $180 + $0 for cooling to get a good overclock

E6300 might be more expensive initially, but factoring in the cost to upgrade the 805's cooling, it suddenly doesn't look as bad of an idea.
December 2, 2006 5:57:08 PM

I agree. I built a d805 based rig (currently at 3.4) when the Core2 was not yet available, and I'm satisfied with performance. Cooling is an issue, and don't think you'll get away with anything less than a decent Zalman or similar aftermarket fan if you plan on OC'ing. Running it with a Thermaltake Golden Orb 2 I get operating temperatures in the low 40s and full load comes out to 55-60. The golden orb however, is half a kilo of solid copper...

At this point I would say that if you have the extra 100$, go for the E6300. Less cooling/noise issues to deal with, and consequantially a bigger overclock potential. If you want a relative performance comparison, my 3.4Ghz d805 generally performs slightly worse than a stock E6300 when I compare the in-game benchmarks I get to the ones posted in reviews/charts. Although if gaming is your ... game, you will find yourself more limited by the GPU than your CPU, and anything less than a high end DX9 card (or the new 8800 models) will be your bottleneck regardles of whether you go for a core2 or pentium d.

The one scenario where I would recommend a d805 is if you're really strapped on cash. In that case, getting a 965P (or other core2 compatible) based motherboard on the cheap along with an overclocked d805 would be a nice setup until you can afford to get a core 2.

My 2c
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 2, 2006 6:12:54 PM

The Pentium D805 overclocked will consume a lot more power than the Core 2 QX6700.
December 2, 2006 7:06:45 PM

Right. The E6300 I would say the best bang-for-the-buck cpu right now. With the proper components and cooling it achieve 50% oc.
December 2, 2006 8:52:24 PM

thank you for superb replies - with budget of only 400 I know I am going to take hard performance hit - but was hoping overclocking could squeeze more bang for buck. My goal is for games, specifcally, to be able to play Obvlivion.. even at medium setting 800x600 etc.

GPU I am considering is 7600 series GS or GT whichever I can find cheapest for around 120

You guys think this this CPU/Mobo combo will work ok? What about the default fan and games? Are they trying to scam me to buy bigger fan?

and lastly.. the ram x2 This puts me over 400 by about 40 bucks

whereas a lesser processor and some overclocking might bring it under?
December 3, 2006 11:54:29 AM

To be honest the D915 is a much better CPU than the D805, runs cooler, uses less power, has a nicer FSB, and overclocks just as well.

The e6300 is even better, but if you are building a gaming rig I wouldn't worry too much about the CPU, you are much better off spending more money on the GPU.

You may want to consider an Athlon X2 3800, which will outperform a D805, although it wouldnt leave you with a Core 2 Duo upgrade path.
!