stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I bought an Creative X-fi XtremeMusic for my PC. I installed it without issues. When I started it up, everything worked well and I was so shocked by the performance/audio boost I received. That was yesterday. Today, I installed updated drivers from Creative and everything started having problems. My mic appeared to be on a 7-second delay and the sound quality sounded just like my motherboards onboard audio.

So I uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled the one's that came with my install disc. After doing this, the mic worked flawlessly, but the sound still sounded just like my onboard audio and nothing like it sounded yesterday when I originally installed the new hardware.

So I uninstalled everything that came from Creative and the reinstalled and updated the driver from Creative. Same results. The audio gains just aren't anything to be excited about right now. I've made sure my onboard audio is disabled and pu my settings similar to that I had yesterday, but no mustard. Any ideas? I'm using Game Mode in case you are wondering.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Try using "system restore" to a point after you had installed the card with the original drivers before updating. Double check that you have disabled the onboard sound in the BIOS and uninstalled the onboard sounds drivers.

This failing, remove the x-fi, unstall it's drivers, then using "system restore" roll back to a point before you upgraded the card, double check that the onboard sound is disabled and uninstall it's drivers once it is verified that it is disabled. Then install your x-fi (try a different pci slot) and install it's drivers trying the online one's first... if the installer says it can't find the card, quit, and install from the CD. DO NOT REBOOT when it tells you too... immediately run the web updater, then reboot.

Good luck!

n0odle

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
if pro's suggestion still dosnt work try to install the card in a different PCI slot.

One of my mobo's PCI slot was screwy so i put my x-fi in a different slot and it worked