Building $1000-$1200 Budget Comp. Suggestions? :D

Bullseye21

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I'm looking to build a new computer/tower from scratch but I have no clue what to look for. I want to spend about $1200-1500 AUD, which is around $1000 US. It will be mainly for gaming and to a lesser degree photoshop/imageready/music editing apps.

Im leaning towards an ASUS motherboard but not sure which one to get. I was thinking of an A8N-SLI Deluxe? or maybe theres a better motherboard? not too sure. I dont mind what graphics card i get but i've always had ATI graphics cards. I dont mind if i get an Intel or AMD processor.. just something that is suitable to my needs.

Overall im looking to build something so I can play upcoming games reasonably smooth with nice graphics. And something that will last me so that i can make future upgrades.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

mustangman311

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Well, if you're wanting upcoming games, I'd say wait for a mid-end 8800 or R600 series card. Of course, everything from here is pretty straightforward; C2D, maybe consider a new 680i chipset mobo from ASUS, although they're fairly high. Don't fret; this should be pretty easy.

G

Well,

1) Get yourself a C2D.
2) Maybe a good 2gb of ram.
3) nice hdd.
4) Wait for next gen D10 cards, go for the 7600GT for now. It will play almost all games on high.
5) get a nice 680i mobo off ebay or other retail store. That way you can sli 2 d10 cards in the next year or 2.
6) if you cant afford a 680i, get the gigabyte S3. Its great for OC and stable. Or even get a sub-$100 mobo just for now until 680s come down.

Bullseye21

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
Thanks for the link, I'm thinking of building a similar rig.

I'll definately get a C2D, However im not sure whether i want an SLI Board. hmm.. I hear theres a lot of problems with the 680i chipsets? correct me if im wrong.