Advice wanted for a new computer build.

Usermaatre

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I am looking to build a new system that will mainly be a gaiming system. It will have a Core 2 Duo 6600 chip, and most likely a 8800 GTX card (not SLI). I am leaning towards an Antec P180 case (though I will have to remove the second drive bay to have the card fit) I am looknig for well cooled and quiet. I am looking for advice on several things.

Motherboard/RAM: I am not looking to overclock (I have never tried OCing and am not sure I want to start experimenting) I am just looking for a well performing system. Is it worth be going with the EVGA 680i board if I am not going to OC?

Hard Drives: I am not sure if I am going to go with a 320 GB HD and 2 150 GB Raptors in Raid 0 or just go with 2 320 GB in Raid 0. Opinions are appreciated.

PSU: I plan on having the things listed above as well a 5 1/4" drive and 2 CD/DVD drives. I was leaning towards an Antec True Power Trio but have been hesitant due to some of the reviews on NewEgg.

Monitor: I am looking to replace my old 21" CRT with a good LCD. Anyone have good sites for monitor reviews or recommendations for a good 22-24" LCD for gamers?

I thank you in advance for any useful feedback.

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
The Antec P180 looks like a nice case, although I have no personnal experience with it. If you are using the system mainly for gaming the raptors in raid 0 seems a bit overkill, things might load a little faster but thats about it. The concern for be would be that those 10,000 RPM drives are louder than the standard 7,200 RPM version. But I spose if you do have the cash then the extra drive speed aint gonna hurt.
You got a buget the you have to work around?

Usermaatre

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I would like to keep the system (not counting monitor) under 2000. I am thinking the Raptors may be overkill as well.

Manmadegod

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
You could check out my stats for a 2,000$ machine on this forum and on the front page. It's 2,200 w/o monitor tho... A bit pricy but should withstand the test of time at least as much as technology will allow. :)