Nvidia Releases 314.07 WHQL Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
First it kinda annoys me how the 500 series has been thrown under the bus on these graphs even though there are lots of people with 500 cards and second this driver removed the option for a centered taskbar I used to like on a multimonitor setup. Multi monitor users get thrown under the bus also which makes no sense since at work everyone has two monitors, at my desk I have four and at home I have 3. It's 2013, people use more than one monitor.

what do you mean they are thrown under the bus??? You make no sense to me... They onlyshow the graph for 1920x1080 because that is the most common resolution played at... Not because you see no improvement in all resolutions... Who cares if you don't put your card in the graph... you should still see improvements in game.

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]First it kinda annoys me how the 500 series has been thrown under the bus on these graphs even though there are lots of people with 500 cards and second this driver removed the option for a centered taskbar I used to like on a multimonitor setup. Multi monitor users get thrown under the bus also which makes no sense since at work everyone has two monitors, at my desk I have four and at home I have 3. It's 2013, people use more than one monitor.[/citation]

While I can understand your woes with multi-monitor issues if that's true, how is this throwing GTX 500 owners under the bus? Most of Nvidia's recent driver releases help those cards in addition to the GTX 600 series and even if they hadn't, it's not like new drivers don't at least support the older cards. There's only so much performance optimization that can be edged out of an architecture. They have their limits.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
I wish tomshardware could do a review putting driver performance enhancements to the test with a wide range of cards (new to old, (eg will a will a 6% improvement testing on a gtx 680 by nvidia translate into any performance improvement at all on a 200, 400, and 500 series card?

(or will there be a case where it may actually lower performance with certain game and card combinations)

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]Derza10[/nom]Oh yea, and i have 4 monitors at home and play games at 6040x1200... I have no issues with the graph/drivers.[/citation]

Your rigs fine,. but don't brag...

[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]I wish tomshardware could do a review putting driver performance enhancements to the test with a wide range of cards (new to old, (eg will a will a 6% improvement testing on a gtx 680 by nvidia translate into any performance improvement at all on a 200, 400, and 500 series card?(or will there be a case where it may actually lower performance with certain game and card combinations)[/citation]

That seems like it'd take a long time because of the huge workload. I can say that I'm not aware of any situation where it lowered performance on older cards. I can say that performance gains are probably not going to be proportional from the 600 series to the lower series because they're not even proportional for different cards in the 600 series, but I can say as much as they'd be there.

[citation][nom]friskiest[/nom]Your rigs fine,. but don't brag...[/citation]

I wasn't trying to.. I was just backing my comment above where he said multi monitor people get "thrown under the bus". Sorry if that was unclear.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I have a Gigabyte GTX 670 and the 314.07 drivers won't even install. I'm also having other problems (can't see task bar). Rolling back to 310.90.

[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]I have a Gigabyte GTX 670 and the 314.07 drivers won't even install. I'm also having other problems (can't see task bar). Rolling back to 310.90.[/citation]

Try looking at drivers strait from Gigabyte. Nvidia's divers are generics and although they usually work, there can be some discrepancies between the cards they're designed for (reference cards) and non-reference cards.

[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]Drivers will no longer install period. I've gone back several releases and nothing works. Not from Gigabyte or Nvidia.[/citation]

You might want to consider going to the forums for direct help if none of the drivers are working.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]That seems like it'd take a long time because of the huge workload. I can say that I'm not aware of any situation where it lowered performance on older cards. I can say that performance gains are probably not going to be proportional from the 600 series to the lower series because they're not even proportional for different cards in the 600 series, but I can say as much as they'd be there.[/citation]

while it may be a little time consuming it seems like it will be useful for those of us with older gen cards that are still able to handle todays games, it will show us if we should get excited about a driver update (if compatibility with games is not an issue.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]agentbb007[/nom]Any improvement in GW2?[/citation]

Doesnt look like it. My gts 250 has been pushing near 60 fps on medium-ish settings ever since a few updates ago, so I am currently satisfied. Everything else for improvements needs to be done on anet's part, and they are currently working on it from all the news I've seen.

You have admit to yourself, however, that LA and WvW (in large zerg fights) will always struggle. There is just too much processing going on.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]You might want to consider going to the forums for direct help if none of the drivers are working.[/citation]

Thanks Captain Obvious, but Nvidia is ignoring the problem right now. It's affecting a lot of people. I guess this is a learning experience, don't install drivers until you know they're stable. I've done all sorts of registry cleans, driver wipes, anti-virus and malware scans (which did in fact pick up something malicious within an Nvidia registry).

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Yes. For the people that are not affected by this issue and want to yell at us for being "stupid" (how are we stupid?), you need to just sit there and be quiet for now and let those affected (me) rightfully voice our complaints. A lot of people are in distress over at the Nvidia forums because this driver just completely CRIPPLED some systems.

[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]Thanks Captain Obvious, but Nvidia is ignoring the problem right now. It's affecting a lot of people. I guess this is a learning experience, don't install drivers until you know they're stable. I've done all sorts of registry cleans, driver wipes, anti-virus and malware scans (which did in fact pick up something malicious within an Nvidia registry).[/citation]

If there's anything left to try, then the forums are the best place to go. My point was just that I didn't have a quick 100% fix it idea and articles such as this aren't the best places to more deeply discuss solutions, especially if you've already went through the basics. What you've done and what Nvidia has done (assuming that it's related to a mistake made by Nvidia) weren't the point.

If malware scanners are picking stuff up in Nvidia registry tags, then perhaps something hitched a ride on Nvidia's drivers.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I did not mean to sound so rude, sorry, but yes when people spend a lot of money on graphics cards and expect their manufacturer to release quality software to drive them, it's highly frustrating when more than just the cards fall apart.

I fixed my issue but it took multiple registry/driver sweeps, uninstall of the card in the device manager, and a Malwarebytes scan. And of course I had to roll back to an older driver.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Other improvements include a 27% gain in Assassin's Creed III, 19% in Civilization V, 14% in Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, 14% in DiRT 3, 11% in Just Cause 2, 10% in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, 10% in F1 2012, 10% in Far Cry 3 and improved SLI performance in DMC: Devil May Cry and the F2P shooter, Warframe.
These numbers are specific to the 690 or 670, can't remember which.

Status
Not open for further replies.