New Build - Looking for Any Advice on Hardware Combinations

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Well, as I posted yesterday, my 6 year old computer finally gave out (pretty sure it was the mobo). I've been wanting to build a new computer for awhile but have been too stingy to spend the money; now I'm forced to do it. Here's what I have in mind and I would like to know any criticisms or bad experiences that anybody has had with the following hardware or combinations:

Case: Cooler Master Mystique RC-632-KKN1-GP (new model, looks nice, haven't read many reviews but all have been good)

Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W

Motherboard: EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI (I've read mixed reviews, mostly good and I figured it would be good for future expansion with Quad-Core and SLI)

Processer: Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz (middle of the line, may end up OC'ing it after seeing how it performs at base level)

Memory: Corsair XMS 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel (I've read some reviews that Corsair is using cheap parts on this product for the general consumer products - don't know if it's true or not but looking for opinions)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (kind of pricey but at least it gets to the DX10 stepping stone and can handle most modern games jacked up)

Hard Drive(s): Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB and Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 250GB (it's free with the purchase of the 500GB on Newegg right now). (I don't have too much preference on HDD's but just want to make sure that what I'm getting is reliable. Don't really care too much about having the "super fast" Raptor's at the premium price)

Sound: Initially I think I'm going to stick with the onboard sound and see how it works out to save a little money. May eventually end up getting some fancy card.

Speakers: Creative Inspire P7800 90 Watts 7.1 Surround (I didn't really want to get new speakers but the ones I have now suck and these seem pretty decent for the price)

CD/DVD: I'm just going to yank my Plextor DVDRW Drive from my old computer. Despite the fact that it's only a single layer burner, it's been very reliable and I don't really have a need for a dual layer burner at the time

Monitor: Right now I'm just going to stick with my 19" Princeton CRT. May look to get a gaming oriented LCD in the future so any suggestions on a good one would be welcome.

All in all this totals up to about $1,850 after S&H and then there's some mail-in rebates after that totaling to about $50. Seems pretty decent for the quality and power of the system. Well, that's it - just want to know if anybody has any advice or experience with the above components and if there's anything important I need to know. Of course, I'll be researching the manufacturer websites and forums as well; but I always value the opinion of the users here. Thanks!

JoeUbi

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
He's got a 1TB, but if you want a good HD for like $80 bucks, Check out the Western Digital WD2500KS, I always have had good luck with WD. I have a WD drive in a 8 year old computer and it's still going strong on Linux. I currently have the WD2500KS in my "Media" Computer. Also, if your are lookin for a good soundcard, check out the X-Fi series. I have a X-Fi Platinum and it rocks.

JoeUbi

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
If he can, he should get something with the X-RAM. I notice your from Chicago, how 'bout that snow... Took me an hour to get into the City yesterday.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Yeah, like that Fatal1ty version. It's around $130 and the Extreme Music is around $90. I have the EM and works really nice and the surround sound gaming using my headphone.

Oh the snow, man, I have to wake up early last Thursday morning plowing them snow out the driveway so the car could move. Now my back is aching.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ok, if I get a sound card, which of these would be the best for the money:

Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS OEM - $80
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - $80
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $93 ($20 mail-in rebate - net $73)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty - $146

I'm really not up to date on the sound card scene and really have no clue what the difference is in all the different cards nowadays. I guess I could do some research; but does anybody here have any advice?

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Ok, if I get a sound card, which of these would be the best for the money:

Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS OEM - $80
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer - $80
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic - $93 ($20 mail-in rebate - net $73)

I'm really not up to date on the sound card scene and really have no clue what the difference is in all the different cards nowadays. I guess I could do some research; but does anybody here have any advice?

Note to above - after scrolling down a little further on Newegg, I also saw these 2 cards with large mail-in rebates and was wondering if any of you had opinions:

Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum - $167 with $50 mail-in rebate - Net $117
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum - $183 with $100 rebate - Net $83

Those might be viable options if they're better than the ones above. Any thoughts?

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
On the HDD note, I do require a lot of storage space. I have a lot of music, videos and games to store and I hate putting stuff on CD's and DVD's (I guess I'm just lazy). I figured since I could basically get a 250GB drive for free with a 500GB drive, it was a good opportunity to get a lot of storage space. But I'm considering getting the sound card as well on yours and others advice because I will be using it a lot for gaming.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Looks very solid! I would check out the Antec P180 Case, very well built and quiet.

I originally considered the P180; but I read a lot of reviews that said the location of the power supply space was a pain and that a lot of people experienced heat issues that warped the side of the box that the mobo is on. It looks like a nice case; but I've just seen too many of the same negative reviews. Any thoughts?

JoeUbi

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006

Get that, it has X-RAM. SO basically it caches sound into it's built in RAM and you get a little better performance.