Do I need Microsoft Outlook?

March 6, 2005 11:51:29 PM

I have been a long-time Palm user, but my PDA is near it's last breath (or
computation, if you will...). I am thinking of switching to a Dell Axium or
an HP model with Windows Mobile and VGA, but I had a question before I do:

I like the desktop calendar of the Palm OS, so that I can view and enter
appointments onto my desktop and then sync and have them on the handheld. I
do not own Microsoft Outlook (only Outlook Express). In order to have this
same functionality (with month, week, and day views) on my computer, would I
have to buy Outlook and install it on my computer, or does the "Pocket
Outlook" that comes with the Windows Mobile OS provide that?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

David

More about : microsoft outlook

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 11:51:30 PM

Reply to message from "David" <dbak@rcn.com> (Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:51:29) about "Do I need
Microsoft Outlook?":

> I have been a long-time Palm user, but my PDA is near it's last breath (or computation,
> if you will...). I am thinking of switching to a Dell Axium or an HP model with Windows
> Mobile and VGA, but I had a question before I do:

> I like the desktop calendar of the Palm OS, so that I can view and enter appointments
> onto my desktop and then sync and have them on the handheld. I do not own Microsoft
> Outlook (only Outlook Express). In order to have this same functionality (with month,
> week, and day views) on my computer, would I have to buy Outlook and install it on my
> computer, or does the "Pocket Outlook" that comes with the Windows Mobile OS provide
> that?

> Thanks in advance for any responses.

> David

A free copy of Outlook 2002 comes with each PocketPC on the included CD.

------
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1 for the PocketPC
March 7, 2005 12:19:13 AM

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:51:29 -0500, "David" <dbak@rcn.com> came right
out and said:

>I have been a long-time Palm user, but my PDA is near it's last breath (or
>computation, if you will...). I am thinking of switching to a Dell Axium or
>an HP model with Windows Mobile and VGA, but I had a question before I do:
>
>I like the desktop calendar of the Palm OS, so that I can view and enter
>appointments onto my desktop and then sync and have them on the handheld. I
>do not own Microsoft Outlook (only Outlook Express). In order to have this
>same functionality (with month, week, and day views) on my computer, would I
>have to buy Outlook and install it on my computer, or does the "Pocket
>Outlook" that comes with the Windows Mobile OS provide that?
>
>Thanks in advance for any responses.
>
>David

I got a licensed copy of Outlook with my iPaq.

--
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me
than a frontal lobotomy.

David wrote:
> I like the desktop calendar of the Palm OS, so that I can view and enter
> appointments onto my desktop and then sync and have them on the
> handheld.

MS Outlook does just the same, in a (IMHO) crisper, smoother interface.

> In
> order to have this same functionality (with month, week, and day views)
> on my computer, would I have to buy Outlook and install it on my
> computer,

A full version of MS Outlook will be in the package with your new Pocket
PC.

> or does the "Pocket Outlook" that comes with the Windows
> Mobile OS provide that?

Nope. How could it? ;)  Sorry, just being a smartass. Essentially, your PDA
will sync with the appropriate desktop application; whether the
combination is PocketPC/Outlook, or Palm/Palm Desktop doesn't really
matter. The desktop program offers calendar, e-mail, to do list, contacts
all in one application, but split into various tools on your handheld.
It's really not very different, and there even are tools to help you
moving your data from one system to the other.
Of course, the Pocket PC platform is much nicer, more versatile, and in
general (watch me say that with a perfectly straight face) more user
friendly than PalmOS.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 6:27:23 AM

> Of course, the Pocket PC platform is much nicer, more versatile, and
in
> general (watch me say that with a perfectly straight face) more user
> friendly than PalmOS.

I think you´ve never seen a palm calendar, never seen datebk5. This is
still far ahead of anything that has to work with outlook.

The worst thing with every outlook version is the handling of recurring
appointments. If you need any information about past appointments you
MUST NOT use the recurring function, ´cause every change you will make
to a series will change the whole series. If you change a weekly
meeting from tuesday to thursday, it will change to thursday in the
past, too. It will set back every exception and delete every note to a
single date.

So this function is totally useless, except for birthdays.

I´m sure they are very proud in redmond; a recurring function with a
small footprint seems elegant. But a calendar that disrespects user
data is useless.
This is an unknown problem in palm world.

Stefan
March 7, 2005 5:09:11 PM

filter5 wrote:
> I think you´ve never seen a palm calendar, never seen datebk5.

Why did I know that you're German then instant I read that?
FYI: I had Palm PDAs from the original Pilot all the way to the IIIc and
m125.

> If you change a weekly
> meeting from tuesday to thursday, it will change to thursday in the
> past, too. It will set back every exception and delete every note to a
> single date.

Read the manual.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 5:39:26 PM

"filter5" <filter5@web.de> wrote in message

> Of course, the Pocket PC platform is much nicer, more versatile, and
in
> general (watch me say that with a perfectly straight face) more user
> friendly than PalmOS.

-I think you´ve never seen a palm calendar, never seen datebk5. This is
-still far ahead of anything that has to work with outlook.

-The worst thing with every outlook version is the handling of
recurring
-appointments. If you need any information about past appointments you
-MUST NOT use the recurring function, ´cause every change you will make
-to a series will change the whole series. If you change a weekly
-meeting from tuesday to thursday, it will change to thursday in the
-past, too. It will set back every exception and delete every note to a
-single date.

I've changed some of my recurring appointments without this behaviour.
Perhaps it is Pocket Informant but I dont recall it happening at all.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 7:21:39 AM

Please test this for me:

-create a new weekly series, e.g. every tuesday, let it repeat 20
times.
-delete a single appointment in the middle of the series
-make a note to another single appointment
- try to change your series to wednesday in the future (e.g. in may)

If you decide to change the whole series, your past appointments will
change to wednesday, your deleted appointment will came back and your
note will be gone.
You have to change every single instance in the future if you want to
keep your history.
Outlook will warn you, but there is no workaround.
I´d be glad to see any solution to this problem.

@René:

What´s the manual got to do with this problem?

Stefan
March 8, 2005 7:35:13 PM

March 8, 2005 7:38:19 PM

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 11:18:15 PM

Not sure why you think an 'enterprise level ' mail solution is a problem?
Outlook is a perfectly functional desktop PIM if you never connect to a
server, or the internet, or anything. You can install it with the ability to
connect to an Exchange server or an internet mail system (ISP mail) or both.
Your choice. It has Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, and other options. If you use
Office apps, or some other MS products, it integrates well. I'll not debate
it's merits compared with OE or Palm Desktop or Lotus or whatever, but it
certainly isn't overkill for a standalone user, who wishes to manage
personal data and sync it with a PPC.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"Frode" <news@mascot.REMOVETOREPLY.dyndns.org> wrote in message

March 10, 2005 2:03:36 AM

Anonymous
March 10, 2005 2:03:37 AM

Well, suite yourself. I can't argue the bloat, but with 300G drives being
under a $100 on sale and RAM being dirt cheap (IMHO, which goes back to
soldering 8 32K chips on top of the other 32K chips to get 64K in a PC for
$20 a chip) I say, so what. What you call invasive dll tossing, I call
integration. I just wonder with all that anti-MS venom ;)  why you aren't
running Linux and using a Palm PDA, or one of the Linux based ones?

There are other options for you BTW. A product called Intellisync does offer
synchronization with other PIM products for the PPC. You might pop over to
http://simsub.digitalriver.com/cgi-bin/ov/intellisync/i...
(watch the wrap) or http://www.intellisync.com/index.cfm and see what it
supports that you can live with. Note that Palm Desktop 4.01/4.1 is on the
list, but it isn't clear if it lets you sync a PPC with it, though you would
think that is implied.

--
Sven
MS-MVP Mobile Devices