CPU cooler fan not running on CPU fan connector

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I just recently built a new E6600 computer system using a GA-965P-DS3 motherboard and an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU heatsink and fan. When I powered on the system for the first time all the fans were turning except for the CPU fan. I know the CPU fan was getting power because it was twitching but not turning completely. I tried plugging in the stock E6600 heatsink into the CPU fan connector and it also twitched. I decided to plug the CPU fan using the system fan connector and that worked. The problem I now have is that the system fan is always running fast (over 2700 RPM) all the time. Is there a way for me to set the system fan to automatically adjust its speed? Is there a way to run my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro off my CPU fan connector? :? I am using an OCZ 600W power supply.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
I had the same thing happen with my Zalman 9700, E6400, and DS3. There are a couple of things you can do. In Easytune, you can adjust the threshold at which the fan will turn on, or you can turn the automatic fan control off in the bios (this will make the fan run 100% all the time, unless it's hooked to a controller).

I did the second option, as the Zalman comes with a fan controller anyway.

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Thanks for the response NotAPimecone. I guess if those are my options, I'll just let it run at a 100%. I don't want to mess with changing the threshold and then worrying if the fan is spinning properly all the time.