Question for Firefox Experts

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 20, 2005 10:20:53 PM

I've been using Firefox for Neopets, and only that. Everything else I
do in IE which is too slow for Neopets.

Suddenly, this afternoon I get an error message when trying to open FF
that my "profile is already in use" and I have the option of creating a
new one. I try to get in for 15 minutes and then out of exasperation
just create a new "profile" whatever that means.

Now FF will not let me into Neopets at all. I keep signing in to
Neopets but the site keeps telling me I'm not signed in. I tried
fiddling with the cookies, no dice.

I really dislike FF because of the inability to set relative font sizes
so that webpages are uniformly viewable without changing font sizes
constantly - amoung other things (like it doesn't really block pop-ups
thought that's the big selling point.) But FF makes Neopets a lot
faster.

But what is going on here? What is a Profile? It isn't addressed in
the Help topics? How do I get my old Profile back? God I HATE Mozilla!

Any ideas?

bel
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 10:20:54 PM

It sounds like you already have an instance of firefox.exe running,
check under Task Manager and if it's there, close it.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:20:53 GMT, Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I've been using Firefox for Neopets, and only that. Everything else I
>do in IE which is too slow for Neopets.
>
>Suddenly, this afternoon I get an error message when trying to open FF
>that my "profile is already in use" and I have the option of creating a
>new one. I try to get in for 15 minutes and then out of exasperation
>just create a new "profile" whatever that means.
>
>Now FF will not let me into Neopets at all. I keep signing in to
>Neopets but the site keeps telling me I'm not signed in. I tried
>fiddling with the cookies, no dice.
>
>I really dislike FF because of the inability to set relative font sizes
>so that webpages are uniformly viewable without changing font sizes
>constantly - amoung other things (like it doesn't really block pop-ups
>thought that's the big selling point.) But FF makes Neopets a lot
>faster.
>
>But what is going on here? What is a Profile? It isn't addressed in
>the Help topics? How do I get my old Profile back? God I HATE Mozilla!
>
>Any ideas?
>
>bel
June 21, 2005 12:30:53 AM

In article <929eb1tqdr4tt0htpueptsbu7rm7l7r91k@4ax.com>, toejam99
@bellsouth.net says...
> It sounds like you already have an instance of firefox.exe running,
> check under Task Manager and if it's there, close it.

Tried that. No firefox.exe running in applications or processes. Do
you know a way to switch these Profile things? I can't find any
reference to it in the OE or the Help files.

bel

> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:20:53 GMT, Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I've been using Firefox for Neopets, and only that. Everything else I
> >do in IE which is too slow for Neopets.
> >
> >Suddenly, this afternoon I get an error message when trying to open FF
> >that my "profile is already in use" and I have the option of creating a
> >new one. I try to get in for 15 minutes and then out of exasperation
> >just create a new "profile" whatever that means.
> >
> >Now FF will not let me into Neopets at all. I keep signing in to
> >Neopets but the site keeps telling me I'm not signed in. I tried
> >fiddling with the cookies, no dice.
> >
> >I really dislike FF because of the inability to set relative font sizes
> >so that webpages are uniformly viewable without changing font sizes
> >constantly - amoung other things (like it doesn't really block pop-ups
> >thought that's the big selling point.) But FF makes Neopets a lot
> >faster.
> >
> >But what is going on here? What is a Profile? It isn't addressed in
> >the Help topics? How do I get my old Profile back? God I HATE Mozilla!
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >bel

June 21, 2005 12:37:21 AM

Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com> wrote in

> In article <929eb1tqdr4tt0htpueptsbu7rm7l7r91k@4ax.com>, toejam99
> @bellsouth.net says...
>> It sounds like you already have an instance of firefox.exe running,
>> check under Task Manager and if it's there, close it.
>
> Tried that. No firefox.exe running in applications or processes. Do
> you know a way to switch these Profile things? I can't find any
> reference to it in the OE or the Help files.
>
> bel
>

>> On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 18:20:53 GMT, Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I've been using Firefox for Neopets, and only that. Everything else
>> >I do in IE which is too slow for Neopets.
>> >
>> >Suddenly, this afternoon I get an error message when trying to open
>> >FF that my "profile is already in use" and I have the option of
>> >creating a new one. I try to get in for 15 minutes and then out of
>> >exasperation just create a new "profile" whatever that means.

I have had problems in the past with that profile thing. It might be
because the profile is glitched and won't load. You may have to
uninstall all your firefox stuff-check for mozilla stuff too- and
redownload it.
June 21, 2005 12:48:16 AM

In article <Xns967BA90D861431bebinn11msn11com1@199.45.49.11>,
bebinn@invalid.com says...
> Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com> wrote in
>
> > In article <929eb1tqdr4tt0htpueptsbu7rm7l7r91k@4ax.com>, toejam99
> > @bellsouth.net says...
> >> It sounds like you already have an instance of firefox.exe running,
> >> check under Task Manager and if it's there, close it.
> >
> > Tried that. No firefox.exe running in applications or processes. Do
> > you know a way to switch these Profile things? I can't find any
> > reference to it in the OE or the Help files.
> >
> > bel

> I have had problems in the past with that profile thing. It might be
> because the profile is glitched and won't load. You may have to
> uninstall all your firefox stuff-check for mozilla stuff too- and
> redownload it.

Thanks for posting this. No where is this profile thing addressed...no
where. So it's nice to know I'm not hallucinating! LOL.

Do you have idea how to get to the different profiles? I've scoured the
FF websites for any mention of this - nothing.

Yeah, I think there is a reinstall in my future. Ever since I installed
the last MS update my whole computor is spazzing out - half the drivers
don't work and copying discs is impossible. I've been rebooting in Safe
Mode for months now and then switching over. But FF has been working
consistantly until today. I'm angry because I finally had all the
settings to where I could read all the fonts on most webpages and the
action of the browser wasn't so buggy and jerky (though ads still pop up
everywhere.) But now that's all gone and I'm furious.

No more MS updates!

bel

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:15:51 AM

Phoenix wrote:
> I've been using Firefox for Neopets, and only that. Everything else I
> do in IE which is too slow for Neopets.
>
> Suddenly, this afternoon I get an error message when trying to open FF
> that my "profile is already in use" and I have the option of creating a
> new one. I try to get in for 15 minutes and then out of exasperation
> just create a new "profile" whatever that means.
>
> Now FF will not let me into Neopets at all. I keep signing in to
> Neopets but the site keeps telling me I'm not signed in. I tried
> fiddling with the cookies, no dice.
>
> I really dislike FF because of the inability to set relative font sizes
> so that webpages are uniformly viewable without changing font sizes
> constantly - amoung other things (like it doesn't really block pop-ups
> thought that's the big selling point.) But FF makes Neopets a lot
> faster.
>
> But what is going on here? What is a Profile? It isn't addressed in
> the Help topics? How do I get my old Profile back? God I HATE Mozilla!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> bel

I use FF and all I can tell you is that I am not, nor have I ever had
any of the problems you are describing. Wish I could be more helpful.

--
I can take it, I can make it.
Like the man that you taught me to be. - Cindy Alexander

Phoenix wrote:
I'm angry because I finally had all the
> settings to where I could read all the fonts on most webpages a
> bel

And under tool/options/general/fonts and colors you can't get an easy
fix? Hmmm, not sure how my computer's settings are different but I am
having no problems.

--
I can take it, I can make it.
Like the man that you taught me to be. - Cindy Alexander
http://cindyalexander.com
June 21, 2005 2:31:46 AM

In article <WpGte.6633$hK3.3412@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
spambox55@askimighttell.lol says...
> Phoenix wrote:
> I'm angry because I finally had all the
> > settings to where I could read all the fonts on most webpages a
> > bel
>
> And under tool/options/general/fonts and colors you can't get an easy
> fix? Hmmm, not sure how my computer's settings are different but I am
> having no problems.

It's the wide desparity in the font size that seems difficult to get rid
of. I can't remember how I did it last time, but some fonts are really
big and then the stuff inside smaller frames can be really tiny.

bel

June 21, 2005 2:34:59 AM

Phoenix [avianatrix@yahoo.com] said
> In article <Xns967BA90D861431bebinn11msn11com1@199.45.49.11>,
> bebinn@invalid.com says...
> > Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com> wrote in
> >
> > > In article <929eb1tqdr4tt0htpueptsbu7rm7l7r91k@4ax.com>, toejam99
> > > @bellsouth.net says...
> > >
> > > Tried that. No firefox.exe running in applications or processes. Do
> > > you know a way to switch these Profile things? I can't find any
> > > reference to it in the OE or the Help files.
> > >
> > > bel

> > I have had problems in the past with that profile thing. It might be
> > because the profile is glitched and won't load. You may have to
> > uninstall all your firefox stuff-check for mozilla stuff too- and
> > redownload it.
>
> Thanks for posting this. No where is this profile thing addressed...no
> where. So it's nice to know I'm not hallucinating! LOL.
>
> Do you have idea how to get to the different profiles? I've scoured the
> FF websites for any mention of this - nothing.
>
> Yeah, I think there is a reinstall in my future. Ever since I installed
> the last MS update my whole computor is spazzing out - half the drivers
> don't work and copying discs is impossible. I've been rebooting in Safe
> Mode for months now and then switching over. But FF has been working
> consistantly until today. I'm angry because I finally had all the
> settings to where I could read all the fonts on most webpages and the
> action of the browser wasn't so buggy and jerky (though ads still pop up
> everywhere.) But now that's all gone and I'm furious.
>
> No more MS updates!

More likely there was a problem there already and loading the update
just exposed it and perhaps this latest event is just the next phase of
a slow deterioration.

But never mind all that. Have you tried a reboot?
June 21, 2005 2:35:00 AM

In article <MPG.1d2146de19b3466d989d15@nntp.dsl.pipex.com>, les789
@hotmail.com says...
> Phoenix [avianatrix@yahoo.com] said
> > In article <Xns967BA90D861431bebinn11msn11com1@199.45.49.11>,
> > bebinn@invalid.com says...
> > > Phoenix <avianatrix@yahoo.com> wrote in

> > > I have had problems in the past with that profile thing. It might be
> > > because the profile is glitched and won't load. You may have to
> > > uninstall all your firefox stuff-check for mozilla stuff too- and
> > > redownload it.
> >
> > Thanks for posting this. No where is this profile thing addressed...no
> > where. So it's nice to know I'm not hallucinating! LOL.
> >
> > Do you have idea how to get to the different profiles? I've scoured the
> > FF websites for any mention of this - nothing.
> >
> > Yeah, I think there is a reinstall in my future. Ever since I installed
> > the last MS update my whole computor is spazzing out - half the drivers
> > don't work and copying discs is impossible. I've been rebooting in Safe
> > Mode for months now and then switching over. But FF has been working
> > consistantly until today. I'm angry because I finally had all the
> > settings to where I could read all the fonts on most webpages and the
> > action of the browser wasn't so buggy and jerky (though ads still pop up
> > everywhere.) But now that's all gone and I'm furious.
> >
> > No more MS updates!
> >

> More likely there was a problem there already and loading the update
> just exposed it and perhaps this latest event is just the next phase of
> a slow deterioration.
>
> But never mind all that. Have you tried a reboot?

<VBG!> Yes. You sound like my boyfriend.

bel

!