New PPC soon???

March 7, 2005 2:56:24 PM

Hi all,

Looking at jumping ship from Palm to Pocket PC.
Have loved the look of the rx4700 and Axim x50v but they seem to have been
around for several months now. Does anyone know if there are new releases
around the corner (ie.. 1-2 months away)???
If so, could you please let me know before I spend my hard-earned on
something soon to be superseded.

Thanks again. Love this newsgroup!!
Scott.

More about : ppc

Anonymous
March 7, 2005 10:18:20 PM

"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at jumping ship from Palm to Pocket PC.
> Have loved the look of the rx4700 and Axim x50v but they seem to have been
> around for several months now. Does anyone know if there are new releases
> around the corner (ie.. 1-2 months away)???
> If so, could you please let me know before I spend my hard-earned on
> something soon to be superseded.

What are the requirements in your case? There are other Pocket PC available,
some with GSM/GPRS or CDMA connectivity, others with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and
sometimes both.

Size, screen resolution, multimedia content all impact in your decision.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 10:18:21 PM

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:18:20 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
<dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:

>"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looking at jumping ship from Palm to Pocket PC.
>> Have loved the look of the rx4700 and Axim x50v but they seem to have been
>> around for several months now. Does anyone know if there are new releases
>> around the corner (ie.. 1-2 months away)???
>> If so, could you please let me know before I spend my hard-earned on
>> something soon to be superseded.
>>

>What are the requirements in your case? There are other Pocket PC available,
>some with GSM/GPRS or CDMA connectivity, others with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi and
>sometimes both.
>
>Size, screen resolution, multimedia content all impact in your decision.
I just purchased a 4700 but one thing that bothers me with all of
these, they only seem to have 64 megs as a max. It seems like memory
is so much more cheaper now that they could at least come with 128
megs if not more. Are there any on the horizon with more memory
(without having to add a card?)
March 7, 2005 11:51:01 PM

My requirements are as follows:

Fast processor speed (prefer 500+ MHz)
Wi-Fi +/- Bluetooth
Dual card slots (SD & CF preferably)
VGA display would be nice :)
Also prefer to have 64MB or more RAM
Good battery life
Windows 2005 :-)

I know, I know.... that's what everyone wants

I have read a few sites that claim that WM2005 is coming soon.... any other
news?

Thanks,
Scott.

"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> Looking at jumping ship from Palm to Pocket PC.
> Have loved the look of the rx4700 and Axim x50v but they seem to have been
> around for several months now. Does anyone know if there are new releases
> around the corner (ie.. 1-2 months away)???
> If so, could you please let me know before I spend my hard-earned on
> something soon to be superseded.
>
> Thanks again. Love this newsgroup!!
> Scott.

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:54:54 AM

"MarkW" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:18:20 +1300, "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]"
> <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote:
>
>>"Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Looking at jumping ship from Palm to Pocket PC.
>>> Have loved the look of the rx4700 and Axim x50v but they seem to have
>>> been
>>> around for several months now. Does anyone know if there are new
>>> releases
>>> around the corner (ie.. 1-2 months away)???
>>> If so, could you please let me know before I spend my hard-earned on
>>> something soon to be superseded.
>>>

>>What are the requirements in your case? There are other Pocket PC
>>available,
>>some with GSM/GPRS or CDMA connectivity, others with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi
>>and
>>sometimes both.
>>
>>Size, screen resolution, multimedia content all impact in your decision.
> I just purchased a 4700 but one thing that bothers me with all of
> these, they only seem to have 64 megs as a max. It seems like memory
> is so much more cheaper now that they could at least come with 128
> megs if not more. Are there any on the horizon with more memory
> (without having to add a card?)

The hx4700 comes with 86MB storage available on a flash memory. You can
install programs and data files in that memory. It's the "Storage" you can
see on the memory applet.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 12:54:55 AM

I guess you are referring to the Ipaq file storage which I'm using and
I am glad they offered that. It seems though this can't be using for
running programs. Is that true?
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:24:12 AM

>I guess you are referring to the Ipaq file storage which I'm using and
> I am glad they offered that. It seems though this can't be using for
> running programs. Is that true?

You can install programs there, but the main memory is used to *execute* the
program. So, install much as you can on that storage, and keep the main
memory free.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:25:26 AM

> My requirements are as follows:
>
> Fast processor speed (prefer 500+ MHz)
> Wi-Fi +/- Bluetooth
> Dual card slots (SD & CF preferably)
> VGA display would be nice :)
> Also prefer to have 64MB or more RAM
> Good battery life
> Windows 2005 :-)
>
> I know, I know.... that's what everyone wants
>
> I have read a few sites that claim that WM2005 is coming soon.... any
> other news?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott.

There's no official information on when Windows 2005 will be available, what
models will have it, what companies will offer upgrades. Don't hold back
now, buy what you need for your job/work and worry about this later.

It's like buying a desktop computer, right?

http://www.geekzone.co.nz
Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 10:25:27 AM

"It's like buying a desktop computer, right?"

Not exactly. With a desktop computer, if Microsoft releases a new version of
Windows or Office a few months after you buy the PC, you can usually
upgrade - maybe at a low cost.

As we've seen in the past, when a new version of Windows Mobile is released,
there's no guarantee that existing devices can be upgraded.

A major new version of Windows Mobile is in the offing, including
significant improvements to Word and Excel (according to plausible rumours).
So, if there's no pressing need to buy a PPC, it might be better to wait
until the summer or fall.

Cheers

- rick

"Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> "Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > My requirements are as follows:
> >
> > Fast processor speed (prefer 500+ MHz)
> > Wi-Fi +/- Bluetooth
> > Dual card slots (SD & CF preferably)
> > VGA display would be nice :)
> > Also prefer to have 64MB or more RAM
> > Good battery life
> > Windows 2005 :-)
> >
> > I know, I know.... that's what everyone wants
> >
> > I have read a few sites that claim that WM2005 is coming soon.... any
> > other news?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott.
> >

> There's no official information on when Windows 2005 will be available,
what
> models will have it, what companies will offer upgrades. Don't hold back
> now, buy what you need for your job/work and worry about this later.
>
> It's like buying a desktop computer, right?

> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
> Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:49:37 PM

What I mean by the statement is that waiting for a newer, faster device is a
never ending experience, like on a desktop. As soon as you buy a Pocket PC
with 2002 there will be talks about 2003. And then of 2005. And then... You
get the idea.

My point is if you need it now, buy it now - don't wait, because there'll
always be new models around the corner.

"rick cameron" <rick.cameron@decisionscrystal.com> wrote in message
> "It's like buying a desktop computer, right?"
>
> Not exactly. With a desktop computer, if Microsoft releases a new version
> of
> Windows or Office a few months after you buy the PC, you can usually
> upgrade - maybe at a low cost.
>
> As we've seen in the past, when a new version of Windows Mobile is
> released,
> there's no guarantee that existing devices can be upgraded.
>
> A major new version of Windows Mobile is in the offing, including
> significant improvements to Word and Excel (according to plausible
> rumours).
> So, if there's no pressing need to buy a PPC, it might be better to wait
> until the summer or fall.
>
> Cheers
>
> - rick
>
> "Mauricio Freitas [MVP]" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Scott Fanning" <scottfanning74@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > My requirements are as follows:
>> >
>> > Fast processor speed (prefer 500+ MHz)
>> > Wi-Fi +/- Bluetooth
>> > Dual card slots (SD & CF preferably)
>> > VGA display would be nice :)
>> > Also prefer to have 64MB or more RAM
>> > Good battery life
>> > Windows 2005 :-)
>> >
>> > I know, I know.... that's what everyone wants
>> >
>> > I have read a few sites that claim that WM2005 is coming soon.... any
>> > other news?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Scott.
>> >

>> There's no official information on when Windows 2005 will be available,
> what
>> models will have it, what companies will offer upgrades. Don't hold back
>> now, buy what you need for your job/work and worry about this later.
>>
>> It's like buying a desktop computer, right?
>>
>> --
>> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz
>> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
>> Geekzone Software Store for Pocket PC and Smartphone:
>> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/store

Anonymous
March 8, 2005 6:49:38 PM

I actually did get a 1 gig expansion card and have installed most
programs there. Storage space isn't an issue, it's just that when
executing programs at times I run into issues. I just am amazed with
cheaper memory now that there isn't more memory in these machines and
I'm hoping for more soon. I just bought the 4700 a month ago and love
it but also know when a machine with more memory comes out I will be
upgrading. If I read right Windows 2005 Mobile will come out sometme.
I only hope there is better memory management in that. As well, I
would love to see a version of ActiveSync that allows someone to sync
with the card.
!