mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
How do I know what load I am going to carry on a 12v rail and how do I know what the power supply can handle on a 12volt rail?

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
The buying a Quality power supply is much more important then the amount of rails it has. With the power requirements being placed on the +12v rail by high end videocards and cpu's, psu's are now labeling they have multiple 12v rails but in reality they only have dual rails or even a single +12v rail. This is being done to avoid having one of the +12v rails become overloaded.

Basically Intel has removed the 240VA (12V @ 20A) rail limit from the ATX12V specification, and the UL simply considers devices with single output leads with output capability greater than 240VA (12V @ 20A) a different product class (level 6 instead of level 3.)

I basically learned all this stuff originally by reading reviews of the Seasonic M12 and Corsair HX620 (Manufactured by Seasonic)
http://www.jonnyguru.com/review_details.php?id=13 (Yes I used the info about the ATX12V specification's from this review.)
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/371/1

Personally I like Seasonic's (kind of expensive tho) due to they are nearly silent, just dont count on them for much added case ventilation. And for a midrange computer you should only need a good 430w psu and or 500w if you wanna go SLI or do a really big upgrade in the future aka 8800gtx. The power use on dx10 cars should drop down to reasonable levels by the second generation thankfully.
500w Antec NeoHe is $99 at the egg.
Seasonic 430w (Im using this psu in my pc, AMD 3200+ 7600gt personally I love it)

But in the sub $100 range there are many very good powersupplys, just don't let those flashy led's and shinny boxes suck you into buying a overpriced junker.
*Cough Ultra*

mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Wow tons of good info.

So ultimatley what should I be looking for in the specs of a PSU?

500w or more + the 12v specs?
like:
+3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, -12V@0.6A, +5VSB@3A

Since
+12V1 outputs 22A
&
+12V2 ouputs 22A,

I get 44 and anythign 30 or above is pretty good right??

-999-

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
To summarize it, multiple rails are a "safety feature", nothing more. Unless it's an incredibly expensive psu, all the power for all the rails comes from the same source, it's just spread out on the rails and limiters are put in place to keep the amperage at or below 20. As long as you're bright enough not to stick your hand in a case when the machine's running, you're good.

It doesn't matter whether what you buy is multi or single railed, so long as it's a well built psu with good components and it meets or exceeds your power ratings. Nearly everything else is marketing.

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Please don't take my last post 2 harshly, but ultra has a high rma rate. Since you already bought that psu it should run your computer fine at least temporally, just don't plan on it working forever.

mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Well really the only reason I bought it was because it is Free after rebate. It has not shipped yet so I will probably cancel. EIther way I think I will go wit ha different model right from the start.

shamoo

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2005
wow 60 amps on a single rail...
hope that psu has nice thick conductors and good cooling because 60 amps can really put a punch in low grade wire.... were talking melt insulation off and then turn it into a pile of melted crap.... if your bored get some electronic sodder and bridge it and watch as it gobs up... well that psu looks intresting.... but i dont think i have a system yet that draws that much power -_-

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
You are NOT, I repeat NOT, going to find a good quality 600w psu for under $100. Either pay more or accept a lower quality unit, don't expect a porche on a ford budget....

Good brands are PC P&C, Seasonic, OCZ, Silverstone, Tagan, FSP. OK are Antec, thermaltake... etc.

Forget ultra, zion, rosewill... etc. all crap. There is more crap out there than good.

mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
You are NOT, I repeat NOT, going to find a good quality 600w psu for under $100. Either pay more or accept a lower quality unit, don't expect a porche on a ford budget....

Good brands are PC P&C, Seasonic, OCZ, Silverstone, Tagan, FSP. OK are Antec, thermaltake... etc.

Forget ultra, zion, rosewill... etc. all crap. There is more crap out there than good.

SO if you were limited to under $100 what would you look for and what would you buy??

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Quite frankly based on your specs you don't need more than 400w (probably not even that but it gives you some upgrade room). If you ever plan on getting an 8800GTX then I'd go with a 550w so you don't have to buy another psu later.

For 400w - There are a few silverstone, antec and seasonic that will work.

For 550w and above there is one Antec, one Enermax and a few Hiper psu's that will work.

(Newegg-power supplies-$75 to $100)

I've never used Hiper but they are getting good reviews. I won't personally recommend one until I've used one myself but I'm going to assume they are better than Ultra or Rosewill or In Win based on reviews.

mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I think I might try one of the HIPER type R 580watt PSU ALthough the reviews sound good, Seems to good to be true for a PSU under $100

mswift

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
cool, I think I will go with the Hiper then probably the blue cause it is on sale at newegg. Or I might go down to the TypeR 480 watt Cause It should still do the job I need it too.