External Controller recomendation?

PlutoDelic

Distinguished
May 31, 2005
Hi, i just bought a new HD (WD Caviar WD3000JS) and i want to have it external, so i thought i could get some recommendation for my questions.

1st, my HD is a SATAII Hard Drive, so does it work on a SATA (sata1) Box?
2nd, should i go for USB 2.0 or for Firewire 800, or both?
and the last one, can anyone recommend me any SATA Box, i mean Mark and ETC ETC, all i need is Reliability and Stability, aslong as my music collection is Safe on it i wont care about speed or caching...?

Regards.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
SataII are backwards compatible.
so any SATAII drive will work perfectly in a SATA interface.
you just won't be able to use SATAII extra features. such as NCQ or 300MB tranfer speed. but that is no great loss...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Just get USB only, USB enclosures are the cheapest ones not to mention the most widely available...

I have 7 external enclosures... and all of mine work fine, although each one has a couple of quirks... do you want a passive one or one with a fan? The fan might be a bit annoying, but it shouldn't be too bad and will keep things cooler.

http://www.directron.com/35sata.html

Pick from any of those. Most of them should be fine. I like CoolMax the most, Bytecc is okay, don't know about the other ones they have there though. Most of my enclosures are CoolMax...

Directron is also a good place to buy from, I go there all the time for my needs. Great service and decent pricing.

TRENDING THREADS