Anath

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
well im looking into building a new build for vista and so far i have 6 fans in my new build... 5 vantec 80 mm fans and a 120 mm silverstone fane on the heatsink...now i was thinking about modding my case and putting a couple vent fans at the top but is there a point to where there are too many fans in your case

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
you have to many when you run out of places to plug them in. and then you just get some kind of crazy adapter so you can have more, so basiclly you can never haven enough fans, or about 120, all of them have to have led's though, because its cool.

HDDFreak

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I saw a pic somewhere of a case virtually MADE out of fans. It was like a shell with something like 30+ fans held together with cable ties :lol: .

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
i know the exact pc your talking about, i cant find any good pics online though.

heres the best one i could find.

fan1qy6.jpg

lost

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
Too much is when you have to add more fans to cool the other fans you have already added or when your case begins to lift off and levitate:lol:

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
If you can stand the extra noise, then you may as well put them in. It certainly won't hurt to have a couple more exhaust fans.

Qeldroma

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
i know the exact pc your talking about, i cant find any good pics online though.

heres the best one i could find.

fan1qy6.jpg

Wow! That case took a nose dive of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
or just go phase chang. on everything, gfx card, cpu, northbridge, southbridge (why, i have no idea), sound card, hdd, psu, ram, cd/dvd drive, even the motors on the fans in your case. it would be insanly expensive and complicated, other then that you would have a really cool pc!

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Just put it in a freezer with dry ice......cuz you know......since it's "dry", you won't need to worry about "wet" condensation or electrical problems ;)

mad-dog

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
well im looking into building a new build for vista and so far i have 6 fans in my new build... 5 vantec 80 mm fans and a 120 mm silverstone fane on the heatsink...now i was thinking about modding my case and putting a couple vent fans at the top but is there a point to where there are too many fans in your case
i already gotcha beat man....
4 case fans (2x120mm and 2x90mm)
Corsair RAM cooling fans (3x40mm)
Vantec PCI fan card (2x70mm)
CPU cooling fan (1x92mm)
That makes 10, not including built-in fans for Graphics card and PSU...

It's not about how many fans you got but how well you control the velocity and direction of air-flow thru the case....in thru the lower front and out thru the upper back while flowing across the major components including the hard-drives, chipset heat-sinks, graphics card, CPU and RAM.

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006

Good bye.... power supply stability.

Fans use a bit of juice dude, don't go overboard.

1 or 2 PSU
1 or 2 Exhaust / Intake
1 CPU
1 GPU (maybe two in some designs ?)
1 NorthBridge

Any more than that is overkill.

Just get a well ventilated case, with a 'grill' over the CPU and Video card(s).

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
i already gotcha beat man....
4 case fans (2x120mm and 2x90mm)
Corsair RAM cooling fans (3x40mm)
Vantec PCI fan card (2x70mm)
CPU cooling fan (1x92mm)
That makes 10, not including built-in fans for Graphics card and PSU...

It's not about how many fans you got but how well you control the velocity and direction of air-flow thru the case....in thru the lower front and out thru the upper back while flowing across the major components including the hard-drives, chipset heat-sinks, graphics card, CPU and RAM.

how about this. 4, 120 mm thermaltake thunderblades on the side of my case, 1 120mm thunderblade in the front, 2 thunderblades as exhaust, one 80mm top exhaust, and one aerocool xtreme turbine on the heatsink

7 thunderblades * 78 cfm per fan = 549 cfm
1 80mm fan = 32.5 cfm
1 xtreme turbine = 89.39 cfm

so thats 9 total fans, pushing 667.89 cfm through my case. ;p

if you don't believe me, ill send you pictures

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
True, but fans can be variable in speed and draw, esp while revving up, other components don't like minor fluctuations.

I know at least two people who have caused more problems in their PCs by adding more fans, issues they associated incorrectly to heat, so they added more fans..... (the cycle continues until their PC suffered some minor issues).

A mainboard was damaged enough in-so-far that it became useless.

There is likely some technical / electrical engineering explanation, I just follow the ATX / FormFactor specifications and avoid systems that don't follow them.

(Sadly many cases do not comply with the ATX / FormFactor specs considering what hardware is being put into them).

Manmadegod

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
The nice thing about having so many fans in a computer is that when you are gaming, you dont have to have a heater in the room.

Mobius

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2002
You ask the wrong question Grasshopper.

Much happier will you be when building a box using the fewest fans possible. Less is more, and least is best.

Believe me when I tell you that you will not fall in love with a case full of howling fans. It will, over a period of time, drive you stark-staring mad.

Eventually, appreciate quietness you will.