Kingston

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2004
Hi,

I have a Western Digital WD1200JB in my system. Just installed it a few days ago, although it had been sitting in an unopened box for several months prior.

The drive works well....very quiet, and fast for an Ultra ATA-100 drive.

I do have a few problems, however. With the case off, I can hear what sounds like low-level seeking when the computer is idle. This seems to happen most often right after a disk intensive task such as copying a large number of files. The hard disk activity light is not illuminated when this occurs.

Also, every time that I run CHKDSK from the command prompt, it tells me that "Windows has found errors in the file system." If I run CHKDSK /F and reboot the system it corrects the errors, but running CHKDSK again a few hours later produces the same error message.

I have the Western Digital diagnostics utility. After running a series of tests it pronounces the drive "healthy", and everything seems to check out okay.

I don't have any actual problems with day-to-day computing tasks (no system crashes, booting problems or corrupt files) but the CHKDSK message bothers me.

Should I be concerned? The box mentions that the drive has something like "predictive command queing" and I wonder if that is why it makes those noises.

wimcle

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I would swap out the ide cable and run checkdsk again, is the cable 80wire,is the drive set to 'Cable Select' or 'Master' and at the last position on the cable?