Locked Backup Tower.

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I had an idea and wanted to know what ya'll think...

I want to stick a safe in my closet and have it bolted to the floor so it can't be taken away...

I wanted to put a Tower in there that is used as nothing but a backup system. It is set to automatically back up certain files every so often... You know, all the important stuff.

This way, if someone steals my computers, I still have the most valuable stuff locked away in the safe... I thought maybe this would pose a heat problem and decided that water cooling may be the best way to combat this issue...

If I could figure a way to get the water in and out of the case and through the cooling tower, do you think this would be the best way to go about this?

Any other ideas for a very secure backup like this?

Just curious... Thanks.

hawkstar

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
I think this is overkill AND you'll never resolve the cooling problems unless you can drill a hole in your safe - and if you can it's not much of a safe!

Better to consider tower cases that can be bolted to the floor/wall - or I think cases by HP, Compaq, IBM (or any other company that sells to business users) have security brackets built in so you can attach cables to them and floor/wall.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I agree with the other the safe is a bad idea. I don't know how much data you are dealing with. You may want to consider a NAS box. Use a VPN to another location, like home.

A good backup procedure make multiple copies, and are NOT ON SITE, for a good reason. If data is irreplaceable, use a company like IronMountan for remote storage. Or one of the Online Storage like choknuti mentioned.

JokerFMJ2

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
The problem I had with online storage services is that they'll be at least $200/month for the storage I need.

A NAS box, though, does seem to be an ideal option. I'll have to check in to that. :)

Thanks.

Rangerdawg75

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah a NAS box is exactly what you need. A very small footprint and you can put it in a drawer if you want to.

good luck!

Ranger