How high can C2X6800 and QC6700 procs overclock?

O2thief

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
How the hell did ELmoISEvil got his x6800 to 4.45Ghz. That is just plain evil, is that the highest or can it be pushed more.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
When it comes to overclocking potential I'm always paranoid after reading the first few reviews from the big hardware sites... I'm convinced that at some point in the history of benchmarking, sites have been sent pre-tested parts that represent the very best the company has to offer... so while Tom's e6300 would reach 3.6 GHz or whatever... the ones we buy will have more humble overclocking abilities. I'm NOT saying that's the case with the C2D (trust me... I WANT ONE!) but I do believe it happens.

One site somewhere had some unusually good RAM on a test bench that was sent directly to them... they go and order the same product on their own and it has considerably less OC headroom. Coincidence? You tell me.

Unearthly

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
When it comes to overclocking potential I'm always paranoid after reading the first few reviews from the big hardware sites...

Well, I've heard this in the context of Intel CPUs so I assume it probably goes for other parts too, but they have what are called Engineering Samples (ES) which are probably what are given to the media for pre-release benches/testing. These ES models are generally made in small patches and are much more quality ensured than your standard fare, thus you will see such things as increase overclockability.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, d00d, listen: Intel IMPROVES the processor over TIME. Nearly all the engineering samples are pre-release, which means they have zero improvements.

I had a P4 2.2A Engineering Sample that wouldn't get to 2.6GHz stabley.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I heard for every dollar you donate to Tom personaly, he updates your post count by 1.

I estimate crashman to have donated more then 39,500 dollars to Tom, hence his post count.

Can he not just donate to me?

I'll give.....sexual favours.