480 watts Antec vs. 650 watt Thermaltake for these specs....

halcyon

Splendid
Ni Hao.

I've built a new rig and my 650 watt Thermaltake PSU is not here yet. So, being impatient I used my Antec 480 watt TruePower II. Based on the below specs is that 480 enough or is there some performance (or reliability) reason to use the 650 watt as soon as possible?

Gigabyte P965 DS3
Xeon 3060
2GB Corsair Dominator 6400
2 x 74 GB Raptors
2 x WD 250GB
1 x WD 500GB
1 x DVD-RAM
1 x CD/RW
1 x SB X-Fi
1 x 7600GT
1 x IEEE 1394 Firewire
1 x PCI-E RAID controller
5 x 120MM Scythe 8.7db fans

Everything seems to be working but I can't get my RAM to its stated timings of 4-4-4-12 and I'm wondering if that might be related to any power issues or is just my mobo jipping me. If the 480 watt PSU is up to the task I'll not rush to swap it. Thx.

halcyon

Splendid
Thanks for the advice! I'll use the modular 650 in the smaller case for my HT rig then. I'm new to overclocking, really, so I apologize for the RAM timings+PSU question. I think its probably this Gigabyte mobo (or the F7 bios on it) limiting my RAM timings. Thanks again.

I don't think you were far off target, from what I recall the P-DS3 vdimm default is 1.8v, and your mem is 4-4-4-12@2.1v - if that is correct have you tried the memory overvoltage +0.3v bios' MIT menu?

halcyon

Splendid
It's funny you mentioned that. I did try the +0.3 voltage setting this morning with the exact same results. ...after which of course the mobo doesn't post and I have to clear the bios to resuscitate the mobo. I just can't believe I have this supposedly okay Corsair Dominator RAM and I can't even run it at its SPD timings. I should have gotten an Asus mobo...I knew it, but I let someone in these forums steer me towards the DS3. That's okay, the 3060 is fast enough just not as fast as it should be. Maybe Gigabyte will fix it with the F8 bios update?

Thanks for the feedback.

G

Give it +.4 , 2.2V should do the trick.

Got the latest bios?

halcyon

Splendid
Well, no luck on that...I got to resuscitate the bios via clear-CMOS jumper again. I will say this about the DS3 though, its dynamic overclocking feature does a nice job of OC'ing the CPU to 3Ghz whenever CPU load climbs and is sustained for more than about 5 seconds. My WAV to AAC conversions have jumped from 22X to 36X with this CPU so I'm not too unhappy.

...sorry to babble. Thanks again.