Which is faster: Athlon 1GHz or Duron 1.6Ghz?

Athlon 1Ghz or Duron 1.6Ghz?

• Athlon 1Ghz

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Duron 1.6Ghz

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

xtaski

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I have a mobo and 2 processors sitting in front of me. The 2 procs are an Athlon 1Ghz or a Duron 1.6Ghz. Which is faster? I know the Duron's are slower derivatives of Athlons... but at what clock speed do they best Athlons?

Oh, the mobo I have will accept either of these cpus.

Thanks in advance.

ira176

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
Durons, if I remember correctly only had less cache than the athlon. I think that the number of piplines is the same. I would say that the Duron at 1.6 ghz is faster. Although for you it shouldn't be too hard to try both CPU's and run some bench marks to find out for sure. I believe that a 1.6 ghz Duron is also 133 mhz FSB and the Athlon is only 100 mhz FSB.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Durons, if I remember correctly only had less cache than the athlon. I think that the number of piplines is the same. I would say that the Duron at 1.6 ghz is faster. Although for you it shouldn't be too hard to try both CPU's and run some bench marks to find out for sure. I believe that a 1.6 ghz Duron is also 133 mhz FSB and the Athlon is only 100 mhz FSB.

This Duron you have is based on i believe the Athlon XP Architecture the K7-Made to Compete with the Net burst P4(the Intel Pentium 4), knighted as the Pentium Killer Arc. While the other is on the older (non-XP) Athlon was made to compete with P3 (the Intel Pentium 3) line.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Man, the 1.6G Duron just blows it away, it has SSE and an Athlon (not XP) does not. I would say it's better even than the 1.4G thunderbird.

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
If it's a older Duron you might be able to unlock the cache and even change the multiplier with a simple pencil mod. The newer ones are super-locked.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
I have a mobo and 2 processors sitting in front of me. The 2 procs are an Athlon 1Ghz or a Duron 1.6Ghz. Which is faster? I know the Duron's are slower derivatives of Athlons... but at what clock speed do they best Athlons?

Thanks in advance.
If you have the two CPUs infront of you, why are you asking? Test both CPUs for the purposes you are going to use your PC.
And why have you added voting pool?
The answer of your question is not based on personal opinions. It is based on facts.
The Duron 1.6GHz is faster than the Athlon 1GHz for everything.
Anyway I wonder who are the noobz, voting for the Athlon.

@NovaThunder
There is no PR rating for the Durons. It is 1600MHz, not 1600+(AthlonXP Palomino 1.4Ghz).

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
do you mean 1600+ :)
The durons were the last AMD chips rated in GHz, up to their withdrawal, they never switched to a performance rating like Athlons sot it's Duron 1.6G. Applebred durons were rated 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8GHz and the latter two were pretty tought; they put to shame the whole Northwood Celeron lineup.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

Thanks in advance.
If you have the two CPUs infront of you, why are you asking? Test both CPUs for the purposes you are going to use your PC.
And why have you added voting pool?
The answer of your question is not based on personal opinions. It is based on facts.
The Duron 1.6GHz is faster than the Athlon 1GHz for everything.
Anyway I wonder who are the noobz, voting for the Athlon.

@NovaThunder
There is no PR rating for the Durons. It is 1600MHz, not 1600+(AthlonXP Palomino 1.4Ghz).
Me too, however, even if it was an athlon 1400, it would not be worth much because the lack of SSE won't let it install more or less half of the modern (post 2000) software.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
The only thing I wonder is if the 1.6 Duron Applebred will work in your existing mother board. If it is an older mother board it may not support that chip or you might need to do a bios update.

GaryFx

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I find it ironic that this question was asked just under a month ago, as I just came across a similar situation, unexpectedly. I had been running an Athlon 1.33GHz, when a new video card prompted me to upgrade to a new, but cheap motherboard. There aren't a whole lot of Socket 7/462 motherboards left on the market, but I found one that met my needs.

Much to my surprise, when I got home and opened it, there was already a CPU/heatsink/fan mounted in it, totally undocumented on the box or in the manual. It wasn't a return for which someone forgot to remove the cpu, as the heatsink clamps had been spot glued with silicone, and the lever had been taped down with a "do not remove this label" strip, which also hid the AMD label on the chip. When I fired it up, the motherboard reported it as a 1.8GHz Duron.

Given the responses here, and some related reviews, I'm going to stick with it for now. I can't speak for the original poster, but in my case it's a bit of a pain to swap CPUs for testing purposes. I don't trust the motherboard supports for the pressure needed to release the heatsink clamps, so it means taking the motherboard entirely out, swapping CPUs, and putting it back in. Eventually, I'll just get more memory so I can fire up the old board in a separate case, and then do a comparison.

Gary

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I find it ironic that this question was asked just under a month ago, as I just came across a similar situation, unexpectedly. I had been running an Athlon 1.33GHz, when a new video card prompted me to upgrade to a new, but cheap motherboard. There aren't a whole lot of Socket 7/462 motherboards left on the market, but I found one that met my needs.

Much to my surprise, when I got home and opened it, there was already a CPU/heatsink/fan mounted in it, totally undocumented on the box or in the manual. It wasn't a return for which someone forgot to remove the cpu, as the heatsink clamps had been spot glued with silicone, and the lever had been taped down with a "do not remove this label" strip, which also hid the AMD label on the chip. When I fired it up, the motherboard reported it as a 1.8GHz Duron.

Given the responses here, and some related reviews, I'm going to stick with it for now. I can't speak for the original poster, but in my case it's a bit of a pain to swap CPUs for testing purposes. I don't trust the motherboard supports for the pressure needed to release the heatsink clamps, so it means taking the motherboard entirely out, swapping CPUs, and putting it back in. Eventually, I'll just get more memory so I can fire up the old board in a separate case, and then do a comparison.

Gary

Damn, dude. What kinda store do you go to that gives you a free CPU with every motherboard? Do they have any motherboards that come with a free QX6700? I'm in!!! :D

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Yeah, would be great! As for his question, I'd stick with the 1.8GHz Duron;
1. performs much better than the 1.3GHz Athlon
2. The duron is made on 130nm while the Athlon is on 180nm, so the duron should overclock better
3. The Applebread Duron has SSE while a non 'XP' Athlon lacks them.