Documents and Settings

I am sorry, I have read and read these post and I still don't understand.
Way too much time using Apple, Win 3.0, 95, 98 & Me. I have only one user, so
my Welcome screen shows Mom/administrator. My User Accounts folder shows Mom
and Guest (turned off). Now under my Documents and Settings folder I have
Administrator, All Users, Default User, Local Service, Network Service, and
New PC. There is not a folder for Mom, but it seems all of my things are
under New PC. I can not change the name of it to Mom as I get the message
that it is a system folder and can not be changed. Should my personal data
be in a system folder? There is an extensive Start Menu under All Users that
appears to have all of the same shorcuts as the New PC start menu folder-I
thought the point was that "all users" would not have access to my personal
start menu (in case I ever add another user). After all the reading I
understand the Administrator and All User folders. I don't understand why
Mom does not have a folder and what are the Default, Local, & Network used
for, what will go into them,can they be deleted and what about the New PC
folder that seems like should be named MOM?
Thank you.

Flopp2 <Flopp2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am sorry, I have read and read these post and I still don't understand.
>Way too much time using Apple, Win 3.0, 95, 98 & Me. I have only one user, so
>my Welcome screen shows Mom/administrator. My User Accounts folder shows Mom
>and Guest (turned off). Now under my Documents and Settings folder I have
>Administrator, All Users, Default User, Local Service, Network Service, and
>New PC. There is not a folder for Mom, but it seems all of my things are
>under New PC. I can not change the name of it to Mom as I get the message
>that it is a system folder and can not be changed. Should my personal data
>be in a system folder? There is an extensive Start Menu under All Users that
>appears to have all of the same shorcuts as the New PC start menu folder-I
>thought the point was that "all users" would not have access to my personal
>start menu (in case I ever add another user). After all the reading I
>understand the Administrator and All User folders. I don't understand why
>Mom does not have a folder and what are the Default, Local, & Network used
>for, what will go into them,can they be deleted and what about the New PC
>folder that seems like should be named MOM?

1. There is a profile folder for each user under DOCUMENTS AND
SETTINGS.
2. This folder does not need to have the same name as the user name
shown on the Logon screen.
3. You cannot change this. But you can create a new user, so that a
user profile folder with the preferred name is created. Then you can
copy the old profile to this new profile and then delete the old
profile with the unwanted folder name.
"How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151)
4. The DEFAULT USER profile is what the name says: a template for new
profiles. You can use it if you frequently have to create new users:
"How to Create a Custom Default User Profile"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319974).
5. The LOCAL SERVICE and NETWORK SERVICE profiles are for internal use
by the system only. Simply leave them alone. Further information is
available here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dllproc/base/services.asp.

--
(tm)

jeffrey

Distinguished
May 4, 2001

Hi,

When you first created the account, it was probably named New PC. Since
then the account default folder for you when log on is New PC. If you want
to change that folder`s name to mom or something else, then you have several
things you need to do. One is, you need to either create another account or
log in the built in administrator account. Once logged in under another
account, you can rename that folder, but it doesn`t stop there. You then
need to edit the registry, changing any reference to NewPC to the new folder
name, that can be a long drawn out process and dangerous as well. If you
make a mistake in the registry, you could screw up the system, so I suggest
you don`t do that, unless your experienced in registry editing.

The simplist way is to create a new account, transfer the data from the
other account to that one. Also, you don`t really need to worry about the
folder name, best to let it be it is safe to have your data in that folder.
Also its never wise to use the default administrator account as a full time
user account, so your safe having that other folder as your main account
folder. With user accounts, you can change its name, like for log on
purpose, but it will not change the account folder name. Once the account
is first created, that folder name stays that way, no matter how many times
you changed the user log on name.

As for the other folders, they are default folders that windows creates.
The all user folder contains stuff that is available to every user. The
Defualt User is the base template used when creating a new user account.
The Administrator is of course for the builtin defuault Admin account (which
is hidden and not accessable in normal mode for Win XP Home edition). Local
Service and Network Service holds the info that is used by the other
accounts.

Jeff

"Flopp2" wrote:

> I am sorry, I have read and read these post and I still don't understand.
> Way too much time using Apple, Win 3.0, 95, 98 & Me. I have only one user, so
> my Welcome screen shows Mom/administrator. My User Accounts folder shows Mom
> and Guest (turned off). Now under my Documents and Settings folder I have
> Administrator, All Users, Default User, Local Service, Network Service, and
> New PC. There is not a folder for Mom, but it seems all of my things are
> under New PC. I can not change the name of it to Mom as I get the message
> that it is a system folder and can not be changed. Should my personal data
> be in a system folder? There is an extensive Start Menu under All Users that
> appears to have all of the same shorcuts as the New PC start menu folder-I
> thought the point was that "all users" would not have access to my personal
> start menu (in case I ever add another user). After all the reading I
> understand the Administrator and All User folders. I don't understand why
> Mom does not have a folder and what are the Default, Local, & Network used
> for, what will go into them,can they be deleted and what about the New PC
> folder that seems like should be named MOM?
> Thank you.

G'Day Mom,

Yes! It's all very confusing, isn't it?

Try the Following:
Right-Click "My Computer", and Click "Manage"
In the Left hand Pane:
Click the "+" to the Left of "Local Users and Groups"
Click on "Users"
In the Right hand Pane is a list of Users - All Of Them!
Administrator may not be deleted.
Some Users may be disabled.
Others are System Accounts.
Most of these Users have folders in Docs & Settings.
Please - do not mess with these!

When you use "User Accounts" some Users are hidden
from you - to stop you messing with them - these News
Groups are often full of tales of woe - "I disabled
'Administrator' and my kid changed my password......"

Each User has a "Name" (The List above was "Names")
and a description. If I read your message correctly, your
own NAME is "New PC" and was probably created by
the Manufacturer. Your DESCRIPTION is "Mom". When
the Description is not blank, it is used instead of the Name
in places like the Welcome Screen.

It would probably be good if the manufacturers gave advice
on creating a NEW "Mom" account immediately after
purchase (Using the "New PC" account to do so), and then
deleting the "New PC" account - but they don't.

You could still do this of course, but you will have the messy
business of rescuing your files and settings.

As each User logs in, their Start Menu is "assembled" from
a combination of "All Users" and their "UserName" one. I
personally keep "All Users" empty - after any software
installation, I move the shortcuts to where I want them.
(I have a general user, and users "Media" and "Games" -
these other two are "tuned" in terms of Services running
to give a maximum of Memory and Resources to Media
or Games applications.)

If you want more control, use "User Accounts 2".

To start this, do the following:
Start>Run
control userpasswords2<ENTER>

Again - enjoy BUT - don't mess!!