Scrimping on network gear a bad idea?

BigglesPiP

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
I've heard time and time again that Saving money on routers etc = pain.

But when I got my wireless router and a wireless PCI card I got the cheapest avaliable; by Edimax (although it seems the PCI card may be made be someone else and is sold around).

But it works perfectly, no difficulty conecting or ramdom disconecting.

The only trouble is if you turn it off then on really quick it doesn't turn on, you need to wait a second. This meas rebooting it through the configuration pages (10.0.0.2) doesn't work.

Now with one of the most expensive brands - Belkin - I've heard nothing but bad things.

So is it really a bad Idea to go for the cheaper brands.
I think there are just good and bad brands.

sturm

Splendid
I have used belkin and linksys and have no problems with either.
You can get good and bad product from anybody.
Cheap doesnt always mean bad, your not paying money for the name.
Many off brands are made by or with components from the major makers.
I have used dynex cdrs for quite awhile with no problems. I used to use maxxell or tdk brands only.

kdxrider9262

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I think you meant to say Skimping....I use newegg.com's reviews when buying most of my equipment. Just because it is cheap doesnt mean it sucks.......look at other peoples reviews and see what they say and buy based on that + your own opinion

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
I've used some Edimax products with complete success. I echo the sentiments of the other posters so far that inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean pain. I've had good success with inexpensive routers from SMC as well. I've also never really had good luck with 3Com/US Robotics, and their stuff isn't cheap. Surf for different opinions, and if you're not real network savvy and think you may need tech support, check out opinions on that too, before buying. For what it's worth, in my ten years or so as a computer tech, my personal preferences for home and small business are: NICs - SMC; switches - Netgear; wired routers - D-Link; and wireless routers - Buffalo.