switching motherboards raid question

airalex1919

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2006
hello,
i recently sold my mobo and cpu. my mobo used to be an evga nforce4 sli board which i used to raid my 2 raptors in raid 0 as my C drive. i was planning on just buying a new motherboard and processor and sticking them in and installing new drivers, its worked before. then i realized that my new motherboard will probably have a different raid chip. this is my question: do you think i could buy an nforce 680i board and still be able to have my old c drive set up the way it is without reformating?

G

I suggest ghosting/imaging software to a single drive and throw it back pretty straight forward.

the_taker

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
I suggest ghosting/imaging software to a single drive and throw it back pretty straight forward.

That certainly makes sense, but the OP is noting that he already sold the mobo the RAID was created on.

airalex1919, I agree you will have to find something with the same RAID chip in order to keep your data intact. If you have already purchased a new mobo, you can try to gain at least temporary access to that same motherboard that you sold, or a same/similar one from a friend, etc then you could copy the data to a single-drive. You will then need to rebuild RAID/reinstall OS on whatever new system you have.

you will need to lookup the exact model of mobo, and then see what the RAID chip is, keeping in mind that your mobo may have had 2 RAID chips if it's new enough, so find out which ports your RAID was built on and track that back to the RAID chip.

Good luck!

G

Oh i thought he sold it but still had access...

Like they said...