Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Wireless Router
  • Connection
  • Security
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 20, 2006 1:15:36 AM

MY D-Link wireless router, DI-524, seems to work fine through the normal wired connection but the wireless only works when no security is enabled. When security is enabled, sometimes things can connect ok, most of the time thaey can't, any ideas?

More about : 524 wireless functioning

May 1, 2006 7:16:57 PM

I have the same problem, and haven't found a fix yet. In the mean while, I've just disabled security and disabled SSID broadcast. At least this way I can connect and i'm not advertising to everyone within range that I have an unsecured wireless network. Have you contacted D-Link?
May 1, 2006 7:58:09 PM

So, I just called D-Link and they gave me a few things to try. I'm a little sceptical, but only time will tell if their tips have worked. After Level 1 tech support asked me to do the usual BS (upgrade firmware, try another access point, etc...) I was transfered to a Level 2 tech who told me to do the following:

1. On the Home tab of the WAN section. Lower MTU to 1472
2. On the Home tabl of the Wireless section. Uncheck "Auto Select" for the channel and set it to channel 11.
3. Enable WEP security and use a 10digit 64bit HEX key that uses only numbers.
4. He also asked me to remove all my other Preferred Networks but I refused to do that, because that should have no effect on the dropped connections and even if it did, that's an unacceptable fix.

Anyway, I'm going on 15 minutes without a dropped connection. Hopefully it will stay that way.

FYI...
I have also purchased a Wireless 54g USB adapter and three Wired USB Network adapters made by D-Link. I have had nothing but problems with all of these. When using the comparable Linksys products, I have no problems at all. Needless to say I will NOT purchase a D-Link product again...ever.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 1, 2006 10:30:58 PM

WEP ????

No body in their right mind should recomend that. It tells me their processor and ram can't handle the encription required for WPA. Or it overheating and craping out.

I would try a 64 bit WPA-TKIP if wep works.

But WEP is better than NO Security.
May 1, 2006 10:44:21 PM

^^ agreed.

The level one tech actually told me that it's best to use WEP with an all number key. because "using numbers and letters can confuse the router". I just laughed!!

I plan on running WEP for a couple days. If I don't have any problems I'll try WPA again. If that works for a few days then I'll give WPA2 another try. My fingers are crossed. So far, the connection hasn't dropped, but my signal strength seems worse. And the longer I'm connected, the weaker my signal become (I'm not moving locations and I'm about 30ft away from access point). If things keep getting worse and the connection starts dropping again, I'm just going to purchase another Linksys WRT54G router.
May 3, 2006 4:05:49 PM

IF you really want to have a good connection use a linksys router.
May 21, 2006 1:44:23 PM

I've recently bought a DI-524UP. It certainly does support WPA-SPK. This message is being sent over the network now.

A couple of comments:

Get a separate antenna. This makes a huge difference in terms of signal strength as well as making it easier to move around. I've also got one connected to a desktops PCI wireless card.
The configuration page for wireless is confusing on the DI-524.
WEP is insecure and a waste of time.
I wouldn't reccomend Netgear or Belkin.
These consumer level products are cheaply made(including D-Link), run hot in their poorly ventilated little cases and probably good for 12 months if you're lucky.
From reading forums, and my own experience quality control is poor.
June 7, 2012 2:31:13 PM

The wireless issue with the DI-524 intermittently working has been traced to the Atheros chip on this D-link unit and subsequent D-link units I've had. The Atheros chip inside is not heatsink protected. Wireless activity causes this chip to get so hot it shuts down. I tested various heat sinks and once it is added and the case has additional holes drilled for ventilation all my DI-524 and WBR-2310 units work continuously on wireless. This reply is added late only because many of us upgrade to other D-link products thinking it will be fixed. The fix is easy BTW, just superglue a heatsink of any description onto the "hot" chip (not hard to find, it will cause skin to burn) and add plenty of holes to the case.