Question pertaining to OC of an E6600

JCBananas2

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I have been reading many user reviews/opinions the past few days on the Intel E6600. I am definitely going to get it. People have been able to pull out some crazy OCs with it. However, I was thinking, would Intel ever do something to this chip to prevent it from OCing as well as it has been? I mean, it seems to me that more people are buying this over the E6700 and E6800 because it can OC well beyond the stock speeds of those two chips. I read a couple people having concerns that Intel might design the chips in a way where such extreme OCs might not be possible on future batches. Can anyone confirm this or does that just seem to far-fetched? Any advice/opinions would be geat and thanks.

HibyPrime

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
They would have to be stupid to reduce the overclocking abilities of the chips..

The only way they might reduce the overclocking ability is to increase the stock speed, in which case the max clock speeds will be identical.

JCBananas2

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Hi. Thanks for the response. I was thinking along the lines of them doing it because they know that people are buying their more expensive chip which is 3 times more than this one. But, if the majority of people believe they wouldn't design them differently to OC less, that's great news. I plan on buying the rest of my system in the next couple weeks and this will definitely be on my list of things to buy. Thanks again!