E6400, case temp questions (already searched board)

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Guys, I have some questions about my CPU and case temps...it's not running super hot, but I feel it should definitely be running cooler than it is now.

I'm re-using my old case running the setup as seen in my sig using an AC Freezer 7 Pro on my E6400 (with AS5). With the case closed, I'm getting idle temps averaging 44-45 C, depending on whether you ask CoreTemp, PC Probe II, or TAT (mobo temps of about 41 C), and it jumps to around 60-64 C under load. With my side cover off, idle temps drop to around 37-38 C, and 53-54 C under load...in fact, the CPU ends up running cooler than the mobo (39 C). I want to OC to around 3 GHz, but I won't do so until I can get good temps with the side cover on.

My case comes with an 80 mm intake (inlet on the bottom front of case) fan that blows over the hard drives, and a 120 mm exhaust (which is quiet, but may not be blowing the CFMs I need)...my new PSU has two fans, one exhausting out the rear, and one sucking air from inside the case...though I'm wondering if that fan is interfering with the airflow from the HSF to the 120mm fan.

Anyway, can anyone recommend some replacement fans front and rear? As it'll be on almost 24/7, I need something with high CFM, but low noise. Here's a link to an old review of my case so you can get an idea of what it looks like outside and in:

Outside
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cav1/index2.php
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cav1/index3.php

Front Fan (scroll down)
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cav1/index4.php

Rear Fan
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/cav1/index5.php

Thanks in advance!!

mpjesse

Splendid
Are you sure your not mistaking your chipset temperature w/ your case temp? Sometimes software will report your chipset temp as "system" temp... mine does that. Stupid ASUS crap.

If not then here's my advice:

Tie up any cables and move them away from airflow areas. Generally you want to keep the cables away from intake/exhaust areas, heatsinks and fans, and the memory. Next I'd recommend getting a bigger intake fan (120mm) if possible. Another option is to install a side panel fan. It might look ghetto, but you can cut a piece of plastic out and screw in a 80mm fan on inside to put air directly on the CPU.

From my experience, those side fans make a HUGE difference. In my system that side fan is better than leaving the panel off.

Hope this helps.

racerboywonder

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Are you sure your not mistaking your chipset temperature w/ your case temp? Sometimes software will report your chipset temp as "system" temp... mine does that. Stupid ASUS crap.

If not then here's my advice:

Tie up any cables and move them away from airflow areas. Generally you want to keep the cables away from intake/exhaust areas, heatsinks and fans, and the memory. Next I'd recommend getting a bigger intake fan (120mm) if possible. Another option is to install a side panel fan. It might look ghetto, but you can cut a piece of plastic out and screw in a 80mm fan on inside to put air directly on the CPU.

From my experience, those side fans make a HUGE difference. In my system that side fan is better than leaving the panel off.

Hope this helps.

lol...I'm sure, thanks. I cross-referenced the other temp monitoring utilities under load to make sure it was actually my CPU temp. I think I've actually read other posts where the OP had the CPU running cooler than the mobo, but it's immaterial in my case (no pun intended) as I'd like my side panel in place during operation.

I've thought about adding a side fan. My last case had one from the factory, but I tossed it since it was too bling...and it (or the PSU) was shorting out my equipment. I've decided against that route because I want to maintain the OEM apearance (read: I don't want to screw up and make it look like a POS). I'm wondering whether a 120 mm will fit on the intake grill...I'll look into it.

I hear you on the cable managment too...I'm trying to find a way to make it look neat, but it's kinda hard with what I've got now. I'll need to pick up some zip-ties/straps, etc. to make it happen. Guess that's my project for this week. Any fan suggestions...silent but powerful?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I agree with mpjesse 100%, especially increasing your intake airflow. I'm a little vague, however, on how you define "under load". Doe this means CPU only, or the entire system? If you're refering to the system, then you're also loading your 7900 graphics card, which in turn significantly adds to the total heat load in the case.