Sign in with
Your question

make it sticky!! How much time you left your computer on

Last response: in Overclocking
December 3, 2006 11:31:25 PM

Guys, this is a real post, what about your bills? or if you are a freak downloader guy? how much time you left your computer on? my friend left it 9 days, no shutting down, downloading and browsing sometimes the internet.!! :twisted: :twisted:

Tell me, what about you guys? :p  :p 
December 4, 2006 12:11:22 AM

Ive left my computer on for maybe 2 weeks at the most downloading. I rarely shut off my pc, I just switch users so I can keep downloading. I occasionally set my pc to hibernate so it can turn on fast, but use no power.

I have many friends who leave their pcs on all week every week.
The only qualm that I have is that is probably uses up a lot of power (I have a Prescott p4 3.2ghz, and an ATI Radeon X800 128mb)
It would be much better if I used a laptop for this or a Mobile on Desktop form such as an mac mini.
Recently my pc has been ultra stable, adn hasnt had any problems at ALL even while being on pretty much 24/7 for weeks.

I believe this is due to my protection apps: Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Antivirus Free Edition, Zone Alarm Free Edition, and Ad-Aware Free Edition.
I have been using this combination since January and it hasnt failed me yet!
December 4, 2006 12:28:36 AM

Rarely do I power mine off. Mainly, because if I do, I doesn't want to
boot up afterwards. I usually have to wait an hour or two.
It's old, paid premium price for it - being the state of the art P3 600Mhz.

Getting a new state of the art - Kentsfield - Rd600/r600 (xfire) -
Ohh! -- What an upgrade difference. 3 months and counting down - the
way I see it.
Related resources
December 4, 2006 12:44:25 AM

Quote:
Guys, this is a real post, what about your bills? or if you are a freak downloader guy? how much time you left your computer on? my friend left it 9 days, no shutting down, downloading and browsing sometimes the internet.!! :twisted: :twisted:

Years. I never shut down, unless there's a power failure.
December 4, 2006 12:50:26 AM

I keep it on all the time. Been running for the past 3.5 years (except when I have to move to a new location, then it's off for a day or so).

I usually restart the computer every week or two. Either because of an update that requires a reboot or just to clear the memory to make things run smoother.
December 4, 2006 1:18:11 AM

They never get shutdown unless I'm upgrading or doing something to the hardware. I'll give it the occasional reboot but that's usually only because I've updated windows or trying out new/different drivers. Right now, my main machine has been running for well over 6 months without a complete shutdown and only 1 reboot that I can think of, and my HTPC was shutdown the other day, but that was only because of a power outage.
December 4, 2006 3:28:24 AM

my emac has been on for a couple months straight, and my macbook has been on for about a week, since i had to update the firmware and a couple other things so i had to restart. thats one of the reasons i like mac's almost never need to shut 'em down!
December 4, 2006 4:12:41 AM

My PC runs pretty much 24/7, except when my mobo's little 'power issue' manifests itself about once every 2 months or so...
December 4, 2006 4:39:28 AM

Quote:
:roll: :roll: :roll: newb :!: lame post.

Hey, its better than the dozens who ask for opinions about their proposed build constantly. That gets old sooo fast. I come to TGF looking for some interesting new piece of information or to help somebody out, and i get dozens of people asking "should I buy this? or "should I buy that?"

Edit: oh, and I keep my station on constantly, yes. The last time it was down for more than a day was when I was rebuilding it...though now you can hardly say its the same computer :-p.
December 4, 2006 4:41:28 AM

been running for almost a month had to turn off to add a hd my electric bill is above normal hehe
December 4, 2006 5:00:46 AM

17h a day, only off when I'm over at school (If I remember to turn it off).
December 4, 2006 5:13:33 AM

On my old socket a machine I have I had it running no log offs no restarts and no shutdowns it ran 9months 3 day and 16 hours before my power supply blew up i'll try again some day to keep a computer on for a year straight no restarts and no shutdowns.
December 4, 2006 5:18:33 AM

if im not using it, its not on.

learned that from my mom," if no one is in the room turn off the light ".

try it some time, it saves ya money too, for other things ya need like food and water, well at least for those like me who have their own home, and dont still live with MOMMY!
December 4, 2006 5:20:25 AM

i got my pc 3 years ago and have only restarted when upgrading the software i heavent ever actually turned it off
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 5:42:02 AM

Once a month, happens on tuesdays for some reason... (ok, or when I install a new program that require a reboot.) Other then that, I have it downloading things while I'm at work or asleep. (it spends about 16hrs downloading things.) For the record, this is a windows 2000 machine.

As for power, in the summer time when I leave my 3 computers on (all three get left on all the time) and run the AC, my power bill is (on average) about $60. It goes up in the winter time due to gas being so expensive. I live in a 2bed apt. $60 for cool air and lots of new things to watc.. I mean things downloaded isn't much in my opinion.
December 4, 2006 6:12:10 AM

I almost never shut mine off, and never reboot... dont have to

admin@linuxbox ~ $ uptime
02:58:02 up 124 days, 14:36, 2 users, load average: 0.44, 0.31, 0.34

heh, gotta love linux :) 
December 4, 2006 6:18:44 AM

hmmmmm
very old pentium 200 mhz been on 18 hrs a day for the past 15 years

not-as-old pentium 4 used to b on 24/7 as it took ages to startup/shutdown and the psu has problems so it takes 40 minutes of coaxing to get it to work, cud restart thought but thatw as it. only time it went offline was when the mobo temps hit 70C

new core2 pc is on abt 98% of the year :D :D 

yay!
seeing as i run the pcs' full load 24/7 doing stuff and i hav a lot of peripherals connected

so 150W + 430W + 750W + 700W (for extras) = 2030W!!!
lol
bills wen tup abt 120 bux
December 4, 2006 6:22:41 AM

I never turn my computer off, it's always on because it's always doing something, almost always folding at home as well.

power's dirt cheap here, 6c a KW/H, and it's all from a hydroelectric dam. The only time my computer is off, or not fully on, is when I have a power outage (and even then, if it was a short one my UPS would let it keep running, until the UPS's board fried) or when I had to restart for some reason/putting something in, like a fan or something.
December 4, 2006 6:47:57 AM

Quote:
On my old socket a machine I have I had it running no log offs no restarts and no shutdowns it ran 9months 3 day and 16 hours before my power supply blew up i'll try again some day to keep a computer on for a year straight no restarts and no shutdowns.

I think you beat me. This machine, a P3-600 BX, when running W2K and on a UPS in 2003, being used as an FTP server and file server, ran 287 days with no restarts or shutdowns, then it crashed due to memory failure. I find that with XP it's just not possible to keep a system running that long, particularly due to all the bleeding updates necessary to maintain security.

Good topic!
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 7:48:18 AM

Quote:

150W + 430W + 750W + 700W (for extras) = 2030W!!!

Keep in mind that is MAX output. Just because you have a 700W powersupply doesn't mean your pulling 700W from the wall. If your video card is in 2d mode, and your cpu is not at 100%, theres a good chance you are really only using 150-200W.
December 4, 2006 12:44:40 PM

Yes, when your PSU says 700W is the max that can support, is not you are using the 700W at all.

Edit: guys, that sick, never shut down your computers!!, more and more people dont shut down their Pcs, motherboard manufacters need to make sometime that you can select which activities you want to use, like "downloading Mode" or something like that, so only Lan and HD is the necesary to use, so less power to use.! :p 

Quote:

150W + 430W + 750W + 700W (for extras) = 2030W!!!

Keep in mind that is MAX output. Just because you have a 700W powersupply doesn't mean your pulling 700W from the wall. If your video card is in 2d mode, and your cpu is not at 100%, theres a good chance you are really only using 150-200W.
December 4, 2006 3:21:07 PM

You know...thats actually not a bad idea. The mobo could lower the fan speed, and shut off unnecessary subsystems (we dont need a video card when we are sleeping do we?:) ) Then there could be some keyboard shortcut to snap out of download mode.
December 4, 2006 4:09:02 PM

AINap from Asus?

Cool n Quiet from AMD?

EIST and C1E from Intel?

Shrug... companies are way ahead of you...

I have my computer on 4 hours a day, since by the time I get back from work, hit the gym, and finish eating, I have 4 hours before I go to sleep and go to work again...

Weekends, it's on about 16 hours because it goes on when I wake up and stays on until I sleep...

However, back in my hardcore torrenting days, I think I left it on for over a month? Queued up about 100 torrents, went to China for a month, and came back. MMMMMM Gigs and gigs of stuff... Too bad my HDD got filled before they all finished dling...
December 4, 2006 4:38:53 PM

My Computer is on since october 11 of this year, and i have to turn it off that day because the power went off :( 
December 4, 2006 4:39:29 PM

Over 8 months without a restart.

Don't know why you think this topic should be a sticky, though.
December 4, 2006 4:49:55 PM

Never power down the PC except for power failure, hardware change or if I short one of my (ahem) homebrew fan cables.

PowerBook - I've probably restarted it less than 10 times in the time I've had it, so less than once a month at a guess.

This is actually quite a lame thread, it's only through my sheer love of talking about myself that I post.
December 4, 2006 5:17:09 PM

if i didn't have to pay for power then i would leave all my computers on 24/7. I have a friend of mine who doesn't pay for power (it's a flat rate built into his rent) and is currently running around 4-5 computers 24/7 for the past couple of years. Only takes them down to rebuild or upgrade the hardware.
December 4, 2006 5:29:49 PM

Hmm... my computer at work, was on for a month without reboots or logging in and out.

My server at home was on for 2 months straight (had to reboot... forgot to do window updates :oops:  )

My two desktops, one I leave on all the time. (Only shut down when i first built it so that the AS5 could settle in :wink: The other computer used to be on all the time until I built my Intel machine.

The longest I've seen a computer run was at college. Heh... you have to love those UNIX boxes! I think the longest uptime was like 6 months?

Other than that, pointless thread. IMO, it feels like bragging rights or something... Sorta like the 3DMark scores

*shudders*

back to work... x.x
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 6:28:23 PM

Although it's interesting to see how well our PC technologies stand the test of uptime, here's some other considerations.

(1) Moving parts such as fans and spinning hard drives wear out. I'ts a shame to come home to a dead computer because the CPU fan took a dump during our absence, or a hard drive spindle wobbled during a random head movement.

(2) Power hits or fluctuations from thunderstorms and overloaded power grids can kill computer electronics dead. Surge supressors won't completely protect you, and how many of us have our systems on a UPS? How many have both? When is the last time we checked the fault light?

(3) Dust accumulates everywhere and clogs CPU, chipset and GPU heat sinks and fans, reducing their efficiency. How many of us pull the covers periodically to perform PM's (preventive maintenance) on our systems, or do this for our less knowlegable friends and family?

(4) Power consumed needlessly is a huge problem in this age of global warming, so wasting energy doesn't make sense. Here in the USA, we've got some really bad habits. We represent 5% of the world's population, but we consume 25% of the energy. How many computers x how many watts = how many gigawatt hours = how many tons of irreplaceable, precious, expensive fosil fuels = how much polution? I can't begin to calculate the environmental impact, but just like everything else, it all adds up. We're a nation of power piggies.

I enjoy my computer probably more than most, but when it's not in use, it's off. Think about it.
December 4, 2006 6:33:43 PM

MTBF of about 300,000 hours for fans, led's and most parts, 1 million hour MTBF for HDD's... shrug...

Power fluctuations and lightning... not really that often, would be a freak occurance, I'd count myself lucky just not being hit myself...

Hmmmm.. dust... I live in a bubble so there is no such thing as dust and germs... BUBBLE BOY!

Power consumption is from my underground nuclear generator below my house. Plenty of power for me and my entire city, but don't let the government catch on... they charge astronomical prices for "safety" regulations and other nonsense... =P

Meh, I turn my computer off because I don't see a point leaving it on 24/7.. do people not have the patience to go home and wait 20sec for their comp to boot up?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 7:15:18 PM

Sounds good on paper, but parts do fail. Power hits happen. Dust still collects. What I don't understand is the prevailing attitude in threads like this one, as though pissing away power is something to be proud of. You're one of the few that gets it. Thanks.
December 4, 2006 7:25:52 PM

No doubt... all true.

Quote:
Power hits or fluctuations from thunderstorms and overloaded power grids can kill computer electronics dead.

So you power down and throw the off switch on the PSU or unplug the cord when not in use?
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 7:33:22 PM

The power feed to my computer first goes through a surge suppressor power strip, then through a UPS, and then to the computer. The easiest way to effectively disconnect power from the computer is to simply turn off the UPS.
December 4, 2006 7:40:22 PM

I shut down daily, and whenever I'm away from home. Then again, where I live there a frequent power outages and I don't want to drain the ups unnecessarily.

Nothing like having the electricity off for a few hours to let you know how much you depend on it.
December 4, 2006 7:57:24 PM

I once queued up a bunch of torrents and left for the boundary waters (canoing only area on the border of Minnesota/Canada) for 17 days. Of course I turned off my cell phone right when we got there to save battery for an emergency. Ended up being a huge windstorm and we were stuck in an area known as "the blown down" area and I turned the phone on to call park service for help.

Checked my messages and mom had called (computer at home for the summer) and said "Oh, you left your computer on so I shut it down right after you left."

I was sad that all my sweet stuff wasn't going to be waiting for a 24 hour re-connect with technology session when I got home :p 

Btw...sweet thread...sticky it!!! (just kidding)
December 4, 2006 8:15:39 PM

Well, thank God for dust filters. And I'd hope that people that leave their computer on 24/7 are smart enough to dust out their computers.

We also have this thing called lower power mode on computers ;) 

It's like, you're going to die from something one day, so what's wrong with smoking?

Oh yea, we get electricity from other resources such as dams, windmills, and solar panels. ;) 

So, let me take a whack, you ride a bike to work because cars consume to much fossil fuels. Or do you drive a Hybrid? :p 

To Doughbuy: I agree there's no reason to leave your computer on 24/7. I think I might actually start turning my computer off or at least put it in Standby. Unfortunately for me, it takes my new computer about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to boot due to BIOS and a crap load of start up services that I'm too lazy to go through.
December 4, 2006 8:20:42 PM

Quote:

The upsides to leaving your PC's on:
Less wear and tear on the power button.
Less wear and tear on HD's boot sector.

The downside to leaving your PC's on:
A little higher power bill. Most CPU's power down under low CPU use.
Dry's out cheap mobo components faster. Only a issue if you plan to use your mobo for +3 years.
December 4, 2006 8:22:25 PM

Also wanted to note that leaving my computer on actually cuts down on my electric bill seeing as my thermostat is located in my room.

However, when summer comes around, you can count on me turning my computer off more frequently! :p 
a b K Overclocking
December 4, 2006 9:17:48 PM

I once had my server up for ~ 7 months straight. Only shut down when the power went out once. Nowadays, my systems are off unless I am working or having a lan party. Bills suck.
December 6, 2006 10:58:35 AM

i suppose if you dont count moveing upgrades and such i have had my computer on none stop for about 10 years now or longer i dont really remember.

I dont see ill ever be turning it off in the future either since its actualy power use is less then almost everything in my house aside light bulbs.

lol i see computronix is still preaching about power use in every forum he can. i think i said it before but ill say it again go preach to the people who made this problem by not allowing and actualy jailing people who developed the tech to get rid of all those problems. go preach to the idiot presadent we have that makes it easyer to palute everything and burn up as much as we can while also jacking hte prices of power needlessly so he and his friends can become richer.

and yes i check everything i also clean my system regulerly the people that dont have only them selves to blame. and btw a surge can happen while your on it as well.
December 6, 2006 12:48:42 PM

I built my mom an NT machine way back in 1999... it stayed on for 6 months straight... and the only reason it didn't go longer was a power outage (no battery backup)
December 6, 2006 1:02:50 PM

$ uptime
9:54am up 437 days, 22:43, 1 user, load average: 0.78, 0.78, 0.81
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2006 6:35:21 PM

Quote:
lol i see computronix is still preaching about power use in every forum he can. i think i said it before but ill say it again go preach to the people who made this problem by not allowing and actualy jailing people who developed the tech to get rid of all those problems. go preach to the idiot presadent we have that makes it easyer to palute everything and burn up as much as we can while also jacking hte prices of power needlessly so he and his friends can become richer.

My point is simple: We are all individually responsible for our on/off switches, not the government, or anyone else. If we all do our part to conserve, then it'll make a difference.
December 6, 2006 7:11:02 PM

Back when Windows 98 was out I ran into the 43.7 day bug where if you left your machine on for 43 days and some odd hours straight, Windows 98 would blue screen (this was a known bug fixed in Win98 SE). People always said Win98 was unstable, but I found the opposite to be true so long as you had quality hardware. If you had crap hardware the O/S would crash constantly, but if you bothered to get quality hardware (ie, namebrands like creative, intel, 3Com, USRobotics, etc) the O/S was very stable.
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2006 7:15:24 PM

I agree. I thought that 98se was very stable, and I always had good luck with it.
December 6, 2006 7:18:33 PM

Quote:
Although it's interesting to see how well our PC technologies stand the test of uptime, here's some other considerations.

(1) Moving parts such as fans and spinning hard drives wear out. I'ts a shame to come home to a dead computer because the CPU fan took a dump during our absence, or a hard drive spindle wobbled during a random head movement.

It is more detrimental to moving parts such as fans and hard drives to go through spin up processes which put more wear on the parts than having them running continuously as a given speed.

Quote:
(2) Power hits or fluctuations from thunderstorms and overloaded power grids can kill computer electronics dead. Surge supressors won't completely protect you, and how many of us have our systems on a UPS? How many have both? When is the last time we checked the fault light?

This is why you buy a UPS that conditions the power coming in. A UPS isn't that expensive anymore and you can buy a pretty good one for less than the price you would pay for most power supplies now.

Quote:
(3) Dust accumulates everywhere and clogs CPU, chipset and GPU heat sinks and fans, reducing their efficiency. How many of us pull the covers periodically to perform PM's (preventive maintenance) on our systems, or do this for our less knowlegable friends and family?

This is going to happen whether you have the computer on for a short time or all the time. If you know what you're doing you put filters over all the intakes and only have to shut the system down periodically to clean the filters or replace the filters.

Quote:
(4) Power consumed needlessly is a huge problem in this age of global warming, so wasting energy doesn't make sense. Here in the USA, we've got some really bad habits. We represent 5% of the world's population, but we consume 25% of the energy. How many computers x how many watts = how many gigawatt hours = how many tons of irreplaceable, precious, expensive fosil fuels = how much polution? I can't begin to calculate the environmental impact, but just like everything else, it all adds up. We're a nation of power piggies.

Except all systems now have a power save mode that was regulated back in the late 90s. When electronic devices are not doing much they go into this power save mode and draw less power which means they only cost a few pennies more a year when the system is on in powersave vs. being off entirely.

Quote:
I enjoy my computer probably more than most, but when it's not in use, it's off. Think about it.

Think you need to research a bit more.
December 6, 2006 7:26:09 PM

Win98se was nice, didnt needed much ram, wich was a big plus.

I only have my pc on when im at home, when im off to school or sleeping i turn it off. And i dust it out once a month. And it still works perfect for my use :D 
a b K Overclocking
December 6, 2006 7:44:51 PM

Quote:
It is more detrimental to moving parts such as fans and hard drives to go through spin up processes which put more wear on the parts than having them running continuously as a given speed.

When disk drives were the size of washing machines, then yes, it was necessary to leave them up 24/7 for reliability.

Quote:
This is why you buy a UPS that conditions the power coming in. A UPS isn't that expensive anymore and you can buy a pretty good one for less than the price you would pay for most power supplies now.

I think we agree completely on this point.

Quote:
This is going to happen whether you have the computer on for a short time or all the time. If you know what you're doing you put filters over all the intakes and only have to shut the system down periodically to clean the filters or replace the filters.

Less dust collects in 8 hours than in 24.

Quote:
Except all systems now have a power save mode that was regulated back in the late 90s. When electronic devices are not doing much they go into this power save mode and draw less power which means they only cost a few pennies more a year when the system is on in powersave vs. being off entirely.

"Off" always saves more power than "on" regardless of mode.
December 6, 2006 7:56:36 PM

I leave mine on 24/7. I have tried turning mine off in order to save on power usage but I did not see where it effected my monthly electric bill by a significant amount.
I may get some argument over this , but I feel it is detrimental to electronics to heat up and cool down. Know for a fact solder runs do not like it, with metal expanded and contracting due to temperature variations.
I had a 14 " monitor that was " On" for about 10 years , give or take a day here and there , and I had bought it used.
Tried booting it up a few years after it retired , but to no avail.
December 6, 2006 8:24:26 PM

I've had mine on for two years now. Unless there is a power outage, it doesn't get turned off.
!