problem liteon dvdrw SOHW 1633S

jde111

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I know enough to be dangerous, help?

I built this system my self and am having a real problem with my dvd burner.

I run windows xp. Unless I have a disk in the dvd on boot up, I cannot read the dvd. If I do put a disk in during boot up I can then read it and use/play the game. If I try and shut down the dvd and insert another my system hangs, and I loose everything on my screen except the wallpaper. I then have to reboot.

I have two hard disks C: and E: , one dvd drive D: and one cd drive ( an older LG) F:

Help??

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
some times windows xp acrting strange like the things u say.
i also have something like these problems but if i eject the disc(sometimes more than 1 time)
the problem is correctet.
If I try and shut down the dvd and insert another my system hangs, and I loose everything on my screen except the wallpaper. I then have to reboot.
this onew i happened when u close explorer from task maqnager,is the same thing happen when you close the dvd weindow.
to recover the system just bring up task manager(ctl+alt+del)
new task/windows/explorer.exe
then u don't have to rebbot to restore your desktop.

I had the LiteOn SOHW 1633S DVD Rom drive and my system acted that same way. It worked great for about 6 months but then all of a sudden started getting real flaky with ejecting and reading disks. If I took the same disk and popped it into my other DVD ROM, a LiteOne 1673, everything worked perfectly. I tried a firmware upgrade for the 1633, multiple brands of media (single and dual layer), as well as several burning apps but the thing still was flaky. Finally, I just got so fed up with having to use an awl to manually make the thing eject a disk that I yanked it out and replaced it with an NEC-3550A for $35 delivered off Newegg.

I recommend that you just get rid of the 1633 and get the NEC.

Good luck!