voltage fluxuations

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
I wasn't sure whether to put this under the motherboard section or here, but I decided here. My CPU is an Athlon 64 3500+ Venice with a stock voltage of 1.4. The voltage keeps going from 1.392 to 1.408 to 1.424 in any random sequence. I've owned this cpu for almost a year now and I never really looked at the voltage ever so I can't tell if this is a new thing or not. I'm using CPU-Z to monitor the voltages. Is this just a glitch/wrong information, and if it is real is it safe?

randomizer

Champion
Remember cpu-z uses the onboard sensors on the mobo, so if there is something wrong with their readings, cpu-z will display that error. My vcore goes from 1.13-1.28V randomly if I use the abit EQ thing to measure it (ab9 pro), but I'm not worried since I dont trust those readings.

trekkiencc74656

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
this is nothing to worry about it does seem to be a large difference between the high and low voltages but its still well wihin the acceptable range. in the mean time I would check it out every so often and if it ever gets to be a fluxuation of more than .75 I would get your board and power supply checked out for power issues.

randomizer

Champion
If there are no stability problems then you likely have dodgy sensors. Fluctuations of that size may cause issues under heavy load if they are real. Try running prime95 torture test and see if it fluctuates even more, and if it crashes/restarts/shuts down/blows up/smells really bad, then you have a problem.

matador_de_sa

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2006
Well it ran for 9 hours last night and nothing bad happened as far as I can see. I think it might be a faulty sensor because it keeps fluctuating the same amount no matter what load it's under or what voltage I set it to on the BIOS. Of course my motherboard could be faulty, but I've had it for a year and it hasn't broke so I think it's fine.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
It's completely normal. Get cpu-z, go try it on your mate's computer, your mum's computer and your uncle's computer and you'll see the same fluctuation everywhere.

sailer

Splendid
The power fluxuation is within normal limits, though it is a bit larger than I would expect. Commonly, such fluxuations are because the 110 volt from the wall socket varies and that causes the psu to vary in its output. I run a ups to stabilize the power because where I live the 110v power changes a lot and I used to get the BSOD. If you are already running a ups, its possible that the psu has a problem.

As long as your computer is running stable, I wouldn't worry too much. If you start getting BSOD a lot, or the computer crashes out of games and back to the desktop, then either the psu has a problem and needs to be replaced or the input from the wall has become a problem and you need a ups.

TRENDING THREADS