pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I have been having some problems when loading windows sometimes when it loads it will just load a blank screen with just the background and no icons taskbar etc but if I logout and log back in it usually loads normally

Another problem I am having is sometimes my USB mouse will just disconnect and I have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to work

a few times when I have started my computer without changing any hardware or other settings it displayed this message

Since windows was first activated on this computer, the hardware on the computer has changed significantly. Due to these changes, Windows must be reactivated within 3 days.

I am thinking this this could be either a bad motherboard or maybe bad windows installation.

any help would be great

here is my computer

XP Pro
Thermaltake W0101RU ATX 12V 2.0 Version 550W Power Supply
AMD X2 4200+ Dual Core CPU
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
2 GB OCZ Ram
EVGA Geforce 7800 GTX 256 MB (replacing with 8800GTS soon)
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Plextor DVDR PX-716A
Maxtor 6L300SO 300GB SATA
Western Digital WD3200KS-00PFB0 320GB SATA 3.0
Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor
Bose 2.1 Speakers
Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum/Steel ATX Case

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I would try a fresh windows install before checking hardware. Make sure you install all current drivers and bios. This may take time but can save you money if it's not a hardware issue.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Also make sure you have a TOTALLY LEGAL copy of windows. Those pirated versions can be a far cry from the real thing.

It definitely sounds like there is something very wrong with your windows installation. Make sure to back up your data.

pip_75

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2005
I have done a clean install and I have a Legal version that is NOT pirated. I haven't updated the bios yet though.

Recently my video card fried and had to replace it I don't know if that has anything to do with it though I will update bios and drivers and see what happens.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Recently my video card fried and had to replace it I don't know if that has anything to do with it though I will update bios and drivers and see what happens.

Good idea. Proper drivers can make all the difference in the world. You didn't by chance change manufacturers for the video card, did you? Going from Nvidia to ATI can often be a very odd situation.

Also, if you are ATI all the way, it can also cause some driver problems, it just happens. Hopefully they'll get it figured out in the near future.

When replacing a video card, especially after a fry, the problems can abound. Good luck