What are the processor requirements for X1950XTX and X1900XT

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I've read several good things about the X1950XTX and X1900XTX video cards, but before I bought one of these cards I wanted to know what are the processor requirements for these two cards are. I sure someone here knows. I checked ATI's website, ASUS's and several of the others, but couldn't find anything about the processor requirements. Can someone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

chameleon101

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have an Asus x1900cf master card with and opteron 180, which is similar to a 4800+ dual core, run's mint, also have the Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe mobo (s939) which has the R580(crossfire xpress 3200), make sure it is a fast chip and you shouldnt have any trouble.

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I have no doubt that you know what your talking about, so please don't take offense. I should have made it clearer in my first post, but this is why I ask the question. On the Diamond website (http://www.diamondmm.com/X1950XTX512PCIE.php ) it says the System Requirements are "Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® 64 FX CPU's, CPU running at 2.4 GHz or higher ", but on some of the other maker's website it says nothing about processor requirements. I wouldn't think so, but does the different makers of the X1950XTX card have different requirements? The only difference between this card and some of the others I've been looking at is the Memory Speed of 2.0 GHz. Is my processor close enough or is there something I'm missing? Thanks again for you patients and wisdom.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Your 3700 San Diego core is one of the best single core processors that AMD has produced, as the X2 4400 Toledo is it's dual core counterpart. I'm sure you know the 3700 is highly overclockable, as it's the same core as the FX-57 at 2.8Ghz. The ceiling for the 3700 can exceed 3.0Ghz.

Your CPU is well matched to the 1900 series, which exaust heat through the back of the case, and helps greatly to reduce case and CPU temps. If you're concerned regarding CPU bound gaming, like Flight Simulator X or 2004, and have a good motherboard, you can OC quite easily. If you decide on the 1900 instead of the 1950, remember that the XT will OC to the same levels as the XTX, which may save you some $.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Cool. I'm new to upgrading as you can tell. I'm just scared that I will get a $400+ Video card and not be able to use it. Then have to upgrade to a CPU to be able to use it. Then I'd need a new mobo. After that I'd need memory for the new mobo and so on. I'll do all that in a couple months, id hate to do it because I didn't take the necessary precautions before I send the $ like I usually do.. I bet I'm the person here to buy something before I educated myself first and then regret the purchase.LOL . Now to the PSU Forum. Thanks again.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Cool. I'm new to upgrading as you can tell. I'm just scared that I will get a $400+ Video card and not be able to use it. Then have to upgrade to a CPU to be able to use it. Then I'd need a new mobo. After that I'd need memory for the new mobo and so on. I'll do all that in a couple months, id hate to do it because I didn't take the necessary precautions before I send the $ like I usually do.. I bet I'm the person here to buy something before I educated myself first and then regret the purchase.LOL . Now to the PSU Forum. Thanks again.

i had the 3700 and now an x24400.
its not the new c2d but it works just fine.
very few can keep up with the latest tech.
and about six months ago it was the 3700 and x2 stuff.
goodluck

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
CompuTronix, I had no idea. That's good to hear. I was planning on a CPU upgrade soon. I kinda hated to though. I bought this computer last Feb and it hasn't been pushed at all. Never heard the fans speed up. I had to wait to play the good games because of onboard graphics. I found a bunch of some of the best games, or so I hear, on clearance at a place going out of business. I do need a mobo though. Its a Asus A8AE-LE produced for HP. ASUS nor HP have any info on it to speak of.

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
Tell me about it. I thought I had something when I brought this computer home. Now I read and no one is talking about the 3700. Maybe when I get the video card I can start tweaking with it.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
My compliments on your Avatar...it's most excellent!!!

A few rigs ago, I wanted an X2 4400, but had to settle for the X2 3800. Put it on an MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and OC'd to 2.7. Upgraded later to an Opty 170 and OC'd to 3.0Ghz for gaming, ran cool at 2.8 for everyday use, which was an inexpensive FX-62 equivalent. How do you like your 44?

Machine_Maker

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
I just noticed his Avatar too. Thats hilarious. I have been looking at the Corsairs. Good things happening you say? I will need a PSU.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
Tell me about it. I thought I had something when I brought this computer home. Now I read and no one is talking about the 3700. Maybe when I get the video card I can start tweaking with it.

i think the 3700 is the best price/performance single core there is...
i paid 300 frogskins for mine a year and ahalf ago.
now they are 80$.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
My compliments on your Avatar...it's most excellent!!!

A few rigs ago, I wanted an X2 4400, but had to settle for the X2 3800. Put it on an MSI K8N Neo 4 Platinum, and OC'd to 2.7. Upgraded later to an Opty 170 and OC'd to 3.0Ghz for gaming, ran cool at 2.8 for everyday use. How do you like your 44?

pretty good oc for a msi. :trophy:
have had the same and more than one
but higher oc,s with the asus mobo i now have.
2.7 on the 3700 and the x24400 on the asus.

only 2.5 maybe 2.6 on the msi boards.

they both suck now as i split 4 512,s corsair xms to 2 for each computer.
cant make up for the loss of gig,s even with oc,ing :cry:

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
I always wanted a 37. Feel like I've missed out on something good. Are you running the A8N?

a8n sli deluxe. with an x24400. was oced to 2.6 but now at 2.4
for the last year the same but with a 3700.

just put the 3700 in a msi neo4 f oced to 2.4 so far.

the 3700 in the asus was at 2.6 for most of the last year.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Nice. If it weren't for the fact that my computer's primary mission is Flight Simulator, I'd still be running my Opty. It was such a sweet tuned rig with 2Gb Corsair 3500LL (Low Latency), I really hated to eBay the parts. It was the best AMD rig I ever had.

This is the first Intel (Idiot Outside...love it!) since once upon a time when I had a P233 OC'd to 266. I've always liked my AMD rigs, but Flight Sim is very heavily CPU bound, (frame rate scales with clock speed), and demands all the extreme CPU horsepower you can afford to throw at it. If I had the space for more than one rig, I'm sure I would've kept the Opty.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i have been doing the ms fs since 2000.
love it.

but as i have said before the new fsx bitchslaps my 68gt
and does the moe from the three stooges eyepoke to both 68gt,s :lol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Been Flight Simming since 4.0 on Windows 3.0. Just when I had achieved a state of bliss with FS2004 in max settings on my current rig, along comes FSX to pop my rig bubble. Now I'm thinking of trying to OC a Xeon 3070 to 4.0Ghz to ring out more FPS.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Sorry Machine Maker, got a little off task.

Regarding your HP rig, if you're attached to your 3700, then you have some decisions to make. As SirHeck pointed out, if you want to upgrade your GPU, then you're probably limited by your PSU. If you want to re-sandwich the 3700 between a better motherboard and CPU cooler, then you could OC into a screaming single core gaming rig, but you see where this is going. The socket 939's were great, but it's a dead end platform.

Check out this THG article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/08/25/sub_200_pci_express_graphics_card_showdown/

Since the 7600 GT is more power efficient than many cards, and doesn't require additional power from a molex connector, your PSU will probably accomodate this card. At $156.99, this would most likely meet your gaming needs for the next several months until you can build a C2D rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814125025

Think it over, and let us know if you'd like any further recommendations.

Hope this helps you out.