Tags:
  • AMD
  • McAfee
  • Stress Test
  • Enterprise
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
December 4, 2006 7:09:35 AM

I want to do a stress test on my cpu just to make sure it's stable. What other stress test programs do you guys suggest? Also how long should I run prime95 and what programs should I turn off while it's running (ex. Mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0, spyware doctore, etc, etc)? And lost but not least I know some of you guys are not fans of norton or mcafee, but what do you guys think aobut Mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0? How would you guys rate it? thanks.

More about : prime95

December 4, 2006 11:18:19 AM

Why turn anything off?

Keep everything on that you will be using plus prime95. Seems like the more ideal situation. Then you can get an idea of how all the programs you want to use will react under load.

The CPU utilization under prime95 will hit 100% regardless of anything else you will be running.

Between Norton and Mcafee... I would suggest Symantec Corp over the Mcafee enterprise. Mcafee has taken a beating recently for not fixing some issues. Symantec Corp is a much more lightweight solution than the norton desktop edition so dont confuse them. Norton is the overweight bloated edition.
December 5, 2006 9:37:12 AM

Quote:
Why turn anything off?

Keep everything on that you will be using plus prime95. Seems like the more ideal situation. Then you can get an idea of how all the programs you want to use will react under load.

The CPU utilization under prime95 will hit 100% regardless of anything else you will be running.

Between Norton and Mcafee... I would suggest Symantec Corp over the Mcafee enterprise. Mcafee has taken a beating recently for not fixing some issues. Symantec Corp is a much more lightweight solution than the norton desktop edition so dont confuse them. Norton is the overweight bloated edition.

I do have System works premiere edition 2006. Doesn't Symantec Corp. Norton? I didn't know there was a difference between the 2. I thought is was the same company. If so, how do I get a copy of that?
I did download prime95. I followed the tutorial to use both cores because I have a dual core system. The problem is it won't let me do the torture test. I dont know why i'm having this problem. Any suggestions?
Related resources
December 5, 2006 3:17:29 PM

It is the same company. Symantec bought norton and veritas these past few years.

Norton is their Personal Edition, home user product. It tries to incorporate too many solutions in one and I think fails because it becomes a resource hog. It is sort of an attempt to be an "end-all-be-all" solution for the home user.

Symantec Corp is geared more towards the business sector. Its very lightweight and powerful but lacks a lot of the "nic-nacs" that their Norton products incorporate. Its sole purpose is to be antivirus/antispyware.

You can pick up symantec corp from companies like CDW or your neighborly P2P/filesharing hotspot. The good thing about corp is their is no activation, no registration, or timeouts on updates. It can also act like an antivirus server.

More info here http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=vir_prot&pvid=av_corp
December 5, 2006 3:31:42 PM

Oh, yes the Prime95 issue. Almost forgot about that one.

It seems that lots of people have this issue. Can you run it normally without the multi-core trick?

Prime95 will not necessarily prove that your system is stable. Their are many posts out there about running prime95 successfully for 72 hours and more and still having an unstable system. And there are just as many posts with people that cannot run it and their system runs just fine. So, go figure on that one.

Super PI is another. Actually a quick google seach on PC torture tests will give you lots of tools.

Heres a site that has a good list of tools to try out.
http://radified.com/Articles/stability_testing.htm
December 5, 2006 7:15:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes the Prime95 issue. Almost forgot about that one.

It seems that lots of people have this issue. Can you run it normally without the multi-core trick?

Prime95 will not necessarily prove that your system is stable. Their are many posts out there about running prime95 successfully for 72 hours and more and still having an unstable system. And there are just as many posts with people that cannot run it and their system runs just fine. So, go figure on that one.

Super PI is another. Actually a quick google seach on PC torture tests will give you lots of tools.

Heres a site that has a good list of tools to try out.
http://radified.com/Articles/stability_testing.htm

I downloaded a program called orthos. It's already set to detect both cores. I never heard of this program before. What is your take on this software? Is it as good as prime95 or the same? I just ran it for a little over 9 hrs and no problems. When I had prime95 earlier this year I ran it for about 2 days or about 40 hrs. So far I have didnt' have any errors. But my system is stock. I want to OC it, but nothing too extreme. Maybe about 10% to 15%. But I never done anything like that before and i'm not that computer savvy. I know a little hear and there, but by no means a computer geek =)
December 5, 2006 7:33:18 PM

orthos is prime95 with a GUI. So, if you can run that successfully then you essentially just ran a prime95 torture test.

before i can give you advice on overclocking I need to know some details about your system. Is it the one in your profile? Model numbers are helpful.

Other than that I suggest reading over the 4 sticky posts at the top of this page before going any further. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/CPUs-forum-48.html
December 5, 2006 8:10:11 PM

My system will fail Prime95 after 24 hours almost every time, but I can run it flawlessly for about a month without ever shutting it off, and every time I have needed to shut down, I was running software known to be buggy, lol.
December 5, 2006 8:33:35 PM

Quote:
My system will fail Prime95 after 24 hours almost every time, but I can run it flawlessly for about a month without ever shutting it off, and every time I have needed to shut down, I was running software known to be buggy, lol.

If your system fails Prime95 that fast, it probably means that one or more pieces of your hardware isn't working perfectly. You might get along on daily stuff, but you've got a problem waiting to happen.

I was going along much the same until a week ago. Everything was working and I didn't think anything was wrong, then a game crashed out. I ran Prime95 and it crashed out. Further testing showed the ram as bad. The ram will run ok as long as I don't stress it, but under stress, it just stops.

You might have a similar problem. Daily use is fine, but stressed use finds a bad part. Its up to you whether or not the situation's acceptable. As long as the computer does what you want, then don't worry about it. But if it does start crashing, you know where to look.
December 5, 2006 8:41:01 PM

You hit it on the head, it's the timings on the ram. I could loosen them up a little an be more stable, but I don't do anything important on that PC anyway.
December 5, 2006 10:20:10 PM

Quote:
orthos is prime95 with a GUI. So, if you can run that successfully then you essentially just ran a prime95 torture test.

before i can give you advice on overclocking I need to know some details about your system. Is it the one in your profile? Model numbers are helpful.

Other than that I suggest reading over the 4 sticky posts at the top of this page before going any further. http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/CPUs-forum-48.html

Oh ok. I heard of GUI, but I forget. Does that mean it's better than Prime95 because orthos has GUI? The info on my profile about my rig is that is the same. Will since you seem to know a lot and i'm going to go off subject here. When I open up firefox (the newest version), the browser shuts down. Then I have to restart it. Any guesses? :twisted:
December 6, 2006 12:28:42 AM

Quote:

Oh ok. I heard of GUI, but I forget. Does that mean it's better than Prime95 because orthos has GUI? The info on my profile about my rig is that is the same. Will since you seem to know a lot and i'm going to go off subject here. When I open up firefox (the newest version), the browser shuts down. Then I have to restart it. Any guesses? :twisted:

lol well thats an awful nice statement but i tend to make just as many mistakes and assumptions as anyone else.

As for the GUI, it really doesnt make much of a difference other than making the program more user friendly and giving a little more feedback with error handling.

just a curiosity question... do you have any other programs that are having similar issues? any other crashes or strange behavior? just want to eliminate the possibility that you have a memory issue or any other problems before you start overclocking.

As for firefox there is a whole host of things to try out. I would need some more info as to whether you had a previous version of firefox before you installed 2.0 Also, what sort of extensions have you added to the browser, such as google search, or IEtab, or addblocker? My gut suggestion is uninstall, remove registry entries, program folders, make sure your java client is up to date and try a fresh reinstall after a reboot.
December 7, 2006 6:49:40 AM

Quote:

lol well thats an awful nice statement but i tend to make just as many mistakes and assumptions as anyone else.

As for the GUI, it really doesnt make much of a difference other than making the program more user friendly and giving a little more feedback with error handling.

just a curiosity question... do you have any other programs that are having similar issues? any other crashes or strange behavior? just want to eliminate the possibility that you have a memory issue or any other problems before you start overclocking.

As for firefox there is a whole host of things to try out. I would need some more info as to whether you had a previous version of firefox before you installed 2.0 Also, what sort of extensions have you added to the browser, such as google search, or IEtab, or addblocker? My gut suggestion is uninstall, remove registry entries, program folders, make sure your java client is up to date and try a fresh reinstall after a reboot.

So far I have not noticed any other issues other than firefox. I did have a previous version before installing the newest version. Like I said this is something new that just started happening.
Well I do have a couple of more questions for ya. I was thinking about doing a SLI with my current GPU. What do you think? Will it increase my performance enough to do a SLI or should I just upgrade my GPU? And I plan on raiding my current raptor as well (raid 0). I assume I might have to replace my current PSU with another one with more watts. Any suggestions? :twisted:
December 7, 2006 7:20:13 AM

Quote:
It is the same company. Symantec bought norton and veritas these past few years.

Norton is their Personal Edition, home user product. It tries to incorporate too many solutions in one and I think fails because it becomes a resource hog. It is sort of an attempt to be an "end-all-be-all" solution for the home user.

Symantec Corp is geared more towards the business sector. Its very lightweight and powerful but lacks a lot of the "nic-nacs" that their Norton products incorporate. Its sole purpose is to be antivirus/antispyware.

You can pick up symantec corp from companies like CDW or your neighborly P2P/filesharing hotspot. The good thing about corp is their is no activation, no registration, or timeouts on updates. It can also act like an antivirus server.

More info here http://www.symantec.com/smb/products/overview.jsp?pcid=vir_prot&pvid=av_corp

Yo sandman what do you think about symantec client security 3.1 business edition? Should I download that? I read about it and it seems a little better because it protects against hackers.
December 7, 2006 2:22:24 PM

Quote:
Yo sandman what do you think about symantec client security 3.1 business edition? Should I download that? I read about it and it seems a little better because it protects against hackers.

What environment are you going to be using it in?

If you are thinking of buying this for home use then the answer would be No. As a home user you are not exactly a target for hackers.

If this is a business environment and you have a website or host email then it would make sense.

Quote:
I was thinking about doing a SLI with my current GPU. What do you think? Will it increase my performance enough to do a SLI or should I just upgrade my GPU?

Are you a heavy gamer? How much time do you spend gaming and what sort of games do you play?

Here is a comparison of a stock 7800gt vs 7800gt SLI

Quote:
I assume I might have to replace my current PSU with another one with more watts. Any suggestions?

If you were simply upgrading to SLI then your current power supply should do the trick, but you already have 3 hard drives in your system. Adding a fourth and it being a raptor than perhaps a jump up to the 600W range would be in order.

I am a little partial to the enermax psu's.
December 7, 2006 3:42:39 PM

Quote:

What environment are you going to be using it in?

If you are thinking of buying this for home use then the answer would be No. As a home user you are not exactly a target for hackers.

If this is a business environment and you have a website or host email then it would make sense.

Quote:
I was thinking about doing a SLI with my current GPU. What do you think? Will it increase my performance enough to do a SLI or should I just upgrade my GPU?

Are you a heavy gamer? How much time do you spend gaming and what sort of games do you play?

Here is a comparison of a stock 7800gt vs 7800gt SLI

Quote:
I assume I might have to replace my current PSU with another one with more watts. Any suggestions?

If you were simply upgrading to SLI then your current power supply should do the trick, but you already have 3 hard drives in your system. Adding a fourth and it being a raptor than perhaps a jump up to the 600W range would be in order.

I am a little partial to the enermax psu's.

I wouldn't say i'm a heavy gamer, but I do play games like COD2, quake 4 and what not. I down loaded the symantec client version because I was able to. I couldn't download the other version. Is it ok to use the client version even though i'm not a business memeber?
December 8, 2006 4:40:01 AM

If you can stand to wait I would suggest holding off until the ATI R600 release. Expect it to release in a month.

When the R600 comes out compare the benchmarks to the Nvidia 8800. Choose the winner and you are set for a very long time to come.

If you dont want to wait and decide to pick up the 7800 to do your SLI you will probably start having slow downs in your gaming performance about the second half of next year when the DX10 games should start hitting the market.

Quote:
Is it ok to use the client version even though i'm not a business memeber?

Im pretty sure they wont mind.
December 8, 2006 8:02:25 AM

i don't think Prime95 is the correct tool to test system stability, but I've been doing some research on overclocking and many recommend using Memtest86 for checking stability: http://www.memtest86.com/

hope that helps.
December 9, 2006 8:14:01 AM

Quote:
If you can stand to wait I would suggest holding off until the ATI R600 release. Expect it to release in a month.

When the R600 comes out compare the benchmarks to the Nvidia 8800. Choose the winner and you are set for a very long time to come.

If you dont want to wait and decide to pick up the 7800 to do your SLI you will probably start having slow downs in your gaming performance about the second half of next year when the DX10 games should start hitting the market.

Is it ok to use the client version even though i'm not a business memeber?

Im pretty sure they wont mind.

Let me correct my self. What I meant to say is there isn't really a difference between the symantec client version and the regular corp edition other than the hacking protection right? I would get the regular corp edition but I can get it. So I figured I would just go ahead and down load client version.
December 9, 2006 7:52:09 PM

Quote:
Let me correct my self. What I meant to say is there isn't really a difference between the symantec client version and the regular corp edition other than the hacking protection right? I would get the regular corp edition but I can get it. So I figured I would just go ahead and down load client version.

Ah. Yes, that should be fine then.
December 10, 2006 1:23:52 AM

Quote:

Ah. Yes, that should be fine then.

Well when I unrar the file it comes out as a ISO file. I do have the UltraISO but I dont know what to do. In the instruction is just saids open it and download it. Any ideas?
December 10, 2006 7:09:22 AM

open the program then press F7

select burner and then the Image file you want to burn.
December 10, 2006 9:49:39 AM

Quote:

I figured out what to do. It said something about mount. I right clicked and it worked. I downloaded the system center console, quarantine console, live update administration utility and synmantec client security which has the firewall and antivirus. Do I need to have the first 2?

My other problem i'm having is I downloaded 3dmark06 pro, but for some reason it won't start? Could synmantec prevent it from starting? I reinstalled it but i'm still having the same problem.
December 10, 2006 10:40:37 AM

Quote:

NM 3dmark is working now. It just took a long time to load. Longer than usual. But you can still answer my first question.

I have another question for you LOL. My pc case has usb port in the front of my case. The problem is that the cords are not the right cords for my mobo. Is there any websites that would just sell the wiring for my front usb so that? The wire needs to be long enough to go around my hard drives.
December 10, 2006 7:51:56 PM

Quote:
I downloaded the system center console, quarantine console, live update administration utility and synmantec client security which has the firewall and antivirus. Do I need to have the first 2?

Yes, install all that is available.
December 11, 2006 2:53:17 AM

Quote:
I downloaded the system center console, quarantine console, live update administration utility and synmantec client security which has the firewall and antivirus. Do I need to have the first 2?

Yes, install all that is available.

I have another question for you LOL. My pc case has usb port in the front of my case. The problem is that the cords are not the right cords for my mobo. Is there any websites that would just sell the wiring for my front usb so that? The wire needs to be long enough to go around my hard drives.
Send e-mail
December 11, 2006 3:17:19 AM

what case do you have? it is not listed in your profile specs.
December 11, 2006 6:15:21 PM

Quote:
what case do you have? it is not listed in your profile specs.

Dam your comp is pretty beastly LOL. It's funny that we are the only ones talking on this topic. Well anyways about my case. I bought my case from Directron.com. Directron actually made the case. Here's the link:
MY CASE[/code]

This may sound dumb LOL but when I dl symantec client security, I aslo dl the SQL server service manager. I assume I don't need that because I'm not running a server right?
December 11, 2006 6:55:58 PM

oh yes i forgot to mention that the symantec av often comes with the server and workstation installation on the same disk. i think you may have installed the server variety. check the installation CD and make sure you choose the client installation. there should not be a SQL instance for that installation.

ill need a little time to research the case. just to give me a head start, is the connector coming from the front of the case for the USB a solid connector or is it the one with the individual strands. uhm best way to describe it would be either one solid female connector for the usb connection or 7-8 little smaller connectors that you have to put together before you connect to the motherboard.

that excludes any other cables from the front of the case like the power/reset/spkr etc.

yeah my pc is a little on the freakish side. i do programming work and often have sql, dreamweaver, coldfusion, image editors, virtual machines and many other apps running at the same time. i definitely abuse this thing.
December 11, 2006 10:51:31 PM

Quote:
oh yes i forgot to mention that the symantec av often comes with the server and workstation installation on the same disk. i think you may have installed the server variety. check the installation CD and make sure you choose the client installation. there should not be a SQL instance for that installation.

ill need a little time to research the case. just to give me a head start, is the connector coming from the front of the case for the USB a solid connector or is it the one with the individual strands. uhm best way to describe it would be either one solid female connector for the usb connection or 7-8 little smaller connectors that you have to put together before you connect to the motherboard.

that excludes any other cables from the front of the case like the power/reset/spkr etc.

yeah my pc is a little on the freakish side. i do programming work and often have sql, dreamweaver, coldfusion, image editors, virtual machines and many other apps running at the same time. i definitely abuse this thing.

Well I did uninstalled microsoft sql server service manager. I also dl symantec's reporting agent. What is that? Useful or take it off.
December 12, 2006 2:33:16 AM

no the reporting agent would not be useful for you.
December 12, 2006 5:01:05 AM

Prime 95 is a cool test I ran it the other day along with 15 internet explorer windows open and 6 downloads going on at the same time and gosh darn golly it wouldn't crash .. :?

I'll just stick with my single core 3800+
December 14, 2006 10:57:26 PM

How do you run prime95 at 100% if you have a dual core processor?
a b K Overclocking
December 14, 2006 11:26:57 PM

Quote:
i don't think Prime95 is the correct tool to test system stability, but I've been doing some research on overclocking and many recommend using Memtest86 for checking stability: http://www.memtest86.com/

hope that helps.

Well what is it the correct tool for then? Looking at big numbers, or do you actually try to find a merseene prime? Good luck with that. Memtest86 is great for testing stability of ram, but its not exactly a cpu stress tester.

EDIT: Plus its GUI (or lack of) sucks and its inconvenient to have to reboot and run off a floppy.
December 15, 2006 1:28:06 AM

you run two instances of prime 95. one from the exe that comes with prime95 and the other from the command line.

or do as tvfreak did and download orthos which is a pre-setup of the dual prime95 trick with a GUI interface.
December 15, 2006 6:55:07 AM

Quote:
How do you run prime95 at 100% if you have a dual core processor?

I only have a single core I took the dual back a while ago .. didn't really see any difference :?
December 15, 2006 7:19:30 AM

newest version: 30. alpha gran paradisio?
because this version, still alpha version, crashes when using right click, like, for copy/paste, spellingcheck,...
December 17, 2006 8:29:17 AM

Quote:
you run two instances of prime 95. one from the exe that comes with prime95 and the other from the command line.

or do as tvfreak did and download orthos which is a pre-setup of the dual prime95 trick with a GUI interface.

Yo sandman what up? Since you seem you know a thing or 2 about pc i'm going to go off subject here. I did start a new thread regarding this matter. Occasionally when I have either firefox browser or IE6 up and when I minimize my browser or exit out of it, my whole screen goes blank. Everything from my desktop items and my taskbar disappears for a second or 2. The only thing on my desktop that doesn't go blank is my desktop picture. Any ideas why this happens?Occasionally when I have either firefox browser or IE6 up and when I minimize my browser or exit out of it, my whole screen goes blank. Everything from my desktop items and my taskbar disappears for a second or 2. The only thing on my desktop that doesn't go blank is my desktop picture. Any ideas why this happens?
December 17, 2006 8:32:31 AM

Quote:

Have you heard of a memtest for windows? Heres a link here. I was wondering how you would make 2 instances for this paticular programs. In the instructions it saids to stop all running programs when running this. I'm wondering do they mean every single program running? Should I disconnect from the internet when I use this test?
December 18, 2006 3:08:29 PM

I know the guy in this thread got a decent antivirus, but I'd still like to suggest something else...NOD32, it's one of the fastest and best antivirus out there.
December 18, 2006 4:30:09 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions?

BOINC

Don't know much about stress tests, but any project should put your CPUs running at 100%. SETI at Home is the most popular, so you might want to look at that one. Elsewise there's a few that contribute towards bettering humanity.
December 18, 2006 8:03:16 PM

Quote:
Yo sandman what up? Since you seem you know a thing or 2 about pc i'm going to go off subject here. I did start a new thread regarding this matter. Occasionally when I have either firefox browser or IE6 up and when I minimize my browser or exit out of it, my whole screen goes blank. Everything from my desktop items and my taskbar disappears for a second or 2. The only thing on my desktop that doesn't go blank is my desktop picture. Any ideas why this happens?Occasionally when I have either firefox browser or IE6 up and when I minimize my browser or exit out of it, my whole screen goes blank. Everything from my desktop items and my taskbar disappears for a second or 2. The only thing on my desktop that doesn't go blank is my desktop picture. Any ideas why this happens?

Sounds like your system is crashing when you minimize the browser. Has this just started recently? If so, what has changed?

I would suggest it may be time for you to reinstall windows. Its just one of those things you need to do every so often.
December 18, 2006 9:50:47 PM

Quote:
I know the guy in this thread got a decent antivirus, but I'd still like to suggest something else...NOD32, it's one of the fastest and best antivirus out there.

I have that one as well.
January 10, 2007 8:37:43 AM

Quote:

Well when I unrar the file it comes out as a ISO file. I do have the UltraISO but I dont know what to do. In the instruction is just saids open it and download it. Any ideas?

You can use magiciso to extract this iso file to folder and install from the folder..
http://www.magiciso.com/
January 14, 2007 4:38:57 AM

Quote:
I want to do a stress test on my cpu just to make sure it's stable. What other stress test programs do you guys suggest? Also how long should I run prime95 and what programs should I turn off while it's running (ex. Mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0, spyware doctore, etc, etc)? And lost but not least I know some of you guys are not fans of norton or mcafee, but what do you guys think aobut Mcafee virusscan enterprise 8.0? How would you guys rate it? thanks.

Use AVG for anti virus. I hate norton and mcafee. Colossal wastes of space and don't even catch as much as the free software.
February 2, 2007 6:30:13 PM

The best program i have ever used for testing if something was stable, is folding at home. Running 2 instances of it, one for each core, i can have them both heat up to temperatures not reachable by any other program i have tried. Ive used P95 and it doesn't make as much heat as F@H. But make sure you don't submit your results, They tell you not to run it on an Over clocked CPU, so use it sure, but don't give them the info you have been compiling...
!