Question about PC cases

Bob1978

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I'm going to be building a new PC a little later, and I'm considering getting a smaller case this time around. With a smaller case, the amount of free space inside decreases, with all the components and such. So if air were to flow, it'd go around faster right? With less warm air lingering around, temperatures won't be as high as normal PC cases? Or would it be just the opposite, more components packed into a tighter space = higher temperatures?

Components I'll use will definitely include a C2D, maybe an e6600, and a mid-range Dx10 card of some kind. No O/Cing whatsoever, and I'll be using a basic mobo, good 2GB memory, and probably a single 160-250GB HDD. I expect to get this later next year, and am just considering my options early.

Bob1978

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Oh um, I'm not sure which case just yet. I was considering a Shuttle sortof PC, or maybe those desktop ones (which I'll stand up).

Good point on the extra long cards by the way, do you think mid-range versions will be as long? If it comes down to me having to go back to regular PC cases, then it wont be a problem either because I don't put the HDD in the HDD section, only in the 5" bay section. I can rip out the HDD cage. Don't think thats possible with smaller cases right?

Thanks by the way :).

Bob1978

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Ah okay, I guess it's just wait & see then :). If it doesn't work out, I can go back to the regular thing. Thank you very much for your help :D!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, I expect mid-range DX10 cards to be as long as mid-range cards right now, or at least quite close. Either way, a shuttle will definitly be much hotter than a large computer. Shuttle's aren't designed with cooling in mind. There is decent pathways for air, but you don't buy one for OC'ing or anything of the sort. Not to mention they have smaller fans than larger cases, which generate less CFM... which would totally balance out the advantage of a smaller case. Not to mention all the components are close together radiating more heat. Shrug

Upgradability will also be an issue. SFF cases I only like if you have a specific purpose for them, otherwise I don't really see a point. HTPC, or if you want to carry it around a lot, or you're very space limited then I'd get one.. otherwise I see it being more of a hindarance than a good thing.

TRENDING THREADS