Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Hey everyone

I am having a slight problem...Actuall it is a really irritating one

Every time a start windows it works. but if i restart it never does.
if i need to restart i have to turn off the pc, unplug the power plugs and leave it alone for 15-30 minutes then it works like a charm again

also. if i shutdown and the immediatley turn on again, my video card is gaurenteed to fail(system speaker makes the video card ****ed sound).

but again i leave it off for 30 minutes and it works like a charm
I have no idea what is wrong, i have bout a new psu,mobo,ram,video card and 2 days agao a cpu...

here are the current specs.

MOBO - NF570 SLI SOCKET AM2
RAM - 1X1GB KINSTON DDR 2 667
VIDEO - 1X GEFORCE 7600GT
PSU - 500WATT
CPU - AMD X2 4200+
HD1 - 160GB 7200 MAXTOR
HD2 - SATA 250GB
DVD-LIGHTSCRIBE WRITER (LG)

I have tried many things to fix this, have fixed many,many other things before but its just a bit retarded that it works perfectly, until i restart or shut down.

CAN YOU FEEL MY PAIN!

So guys here it comes again...

WHAT'S WRONG?

Thanks
J!

Sounds like your power supply doesn't have enough AMPERAGE to run everything. It also sounds like it's getting hot..... the cool down before re-start.... What ps is it, and how many amps is it pushing ?

Forgot to tell you........ if you have anything you can unplug..... cd-rom/dvd rw, floppy drives, etc., to provide more power for the essentials, and everything starts to work, it's definately the ps. Try and pull all but one memory stick out. That will also help. But you'll need to know what slot to keep the one in for the system to boot right.

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
power supply is ezcool or something...

motherboard is uhh colourful... its from china i think

this is a new installation of windows on a newly created partition on a brand new sata drive.

all harware is less than 2 months old, had problem since the start

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
just did that power calculator thing and it says i need 648 watts of power

If this is true then how is it possible for me to play oblivion at 1024X768 with everthing on and many mods activated.

Fear runs perfectly to at 1024X768 everthing on soft shadows and 4xAA

How much more of a load could i plave on my power supply.

i know its not my psu cuz i bought the 500 watt a week ago...
had 350 watt before and everthin worked fine. <----Aopen

tlreaves

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
A no-name brand is a big no-no. Like a timebomb in your case waiting to trash your components. You really need to get the actual name and model number for us to be 100% certain, but chances are very very good your PSU is the culprit. You need a stable 12V rail and enough amperage at the rated Watt output to run your components safely. This can only be attained by buying a quality PSU.

You can fry your CPU, MOBO, RAM, anything a crappy PSU is connected to. Risk > cost savings.

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
It is not one of the mobos in that list.

Its from china and i dont think its the newest mobo out there.

has 2x16x pciexpress
1x1x pciexpress
4x pci
socket am2
4 ddr2 slots 2 green(DUAL) 2 blue(DUAL)
6xsata
8channel sound
4 usb
1gb lan
1x Ide

You guys dont get this do you... everthing runs perfectly.... until i restart or shutdown. this is not a psu problem.

also i live in south africa so big name brands here are like pieces of s h i t e in the rest of the world.

on the box of this psu it says intel core 2 duo and amd athlon x2 ready.

well this is what i have so if it fokes out i guess i can sue heh!

Cant tell you what the rails are now or amps bcuz im at work... i didnt think id need such info since this is probably a windows problem.

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
40 US dollars converted to the currency here in South Africa (The dying rand) is now above 1:7.4

so 40 * 7.4 ~ R300

but i paid R700

so lets see

R700/7.4 ~ 90 Us dollars

So it really cant be that bad, even with import/export duties now can it...

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
i had this problem before to, so thats why i bought new stuff.

and still the problem is here.
the only thing that has changed fomr old<>new is that windows is now installed on the sata drive and not the ide

I did this in an attempt to eliminate the problem.

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
its also all on the basis of the psu i have costs 40$, if it costs less than that then the price difference will only increase.

I live on the coast here, nice waves, beatiful babes and many long hard roads outta hell...

so things generally cost less unless they come from the mainland where there all countries are landlocked

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
it does this all the time regardless of what i have done.

so if i start my pc, boot windows and immediately restart after it has booted completely the problem bitch slaps me upside the head...

that is actually a good theory, might be possible but i don't think so.

!!!note installing windows on this sata drive took +- 8 hours

my theory asof saturday night, due to that incredible installation time. ,vista rc1 only takes an hour, i think that that the moherboard controllers are not functioning properly so it breaks down.

man i suck with these kind of problems. im gna buy a new h/d tday and resinstall there, oh but i cant since i only have 1 ide slot and 1 ide hd and 1 dvdrom ill have to disconnect sumthing.

Maybe ill just get a second sata and transfer from the ide to there then reisntall.

JEEZ this is troublesome

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Well any way im done for the day, ill see if tommorrow there are some more helpful hints on my problem

Thanks gouys.
Read ya later
J!

NovemberWind

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I don't think a hard drive should make your video card give off the cry of death. It sure sounds like a power/heat issue (the fact that you need to wait for a while). I'm not at all familiar with wiring/electrical standards in South Africa. Any chance you're pulling more power than your home is wired to supply? Or are you doing something non-standard like running off a generator or special power supply (home power supply - not comp)?

Also, you might try swapping in a friend's HD before you go off an purchase a brand new one.

Either way, good luck.

rcs2749

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I think it may have to do with your hard drive controller either the board on the drive or something on the motherboard. I have a computer that hangs 90% of the time with you do a restart however if you unplug it for 10-15 secs it will boot.

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Go back and double check all you mobo connections to make sure everything is seated firmly. Since it took so long to load windows, I'd try to check out the drives to confirm or rule out that issue. Speedfan has a nice utility for drives that will even tell you if a cable is bad or not properly seated. Not sure if that's your problem but I had something similar happen to me.

Alyarbank

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Sometimes you can get a clue if you issue the shutdown command from a prompt.
Type:
shutdown -r

And watch to see if any programs are hanging before the shutdown. This could point out a misbehaving application. You should also check your system and Application Logs for clues too.

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
Thanks guys

1: its not a heat/power issues(cpu is 34 degrees celcius and sys is 20)
2: all mobo plugs are in correctly, checked, checked and rechecked multiple times, the cable story could be the problem

are there different types of sata cables, and i am using the sata power cable from my psu, not normal 4 pin thing, difference there maybe

3: no programs hang when windows shutsdown,system log has only (information icons) no red errors or yellow warnings so thats not it either...

4: Using electricity from the plug in the wall(it comes from eskom, the only electricity company in SA(We are unadvanced on this side of the world)HAHAHAHA)

This us really troublesome

Jei-Paradigm

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I am going to stray from the subject a bit(well not really)

everytime this problem occurs the next time windows boots my date is set to either somewhere in 2000 or 2007, also the boot sequence is defaulted, so i have to change it again...

I think that my bios is resetting(like when you remove the battery) only im not doing anything other than restarting my pc.

noticed this last night when i tried to play fear and it said my licence key will only be valid from the year 2005 or something.

How and why does bios reset...