Emachines M5309 in slow motion?

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Ok, Im helping a bud out. He originally gave this lappy to someone else to fix, but they couldnt even get past the xp install. So i got it to reformat & installed windows xp pro s2, but it took over 12 hours(no joke). The computer is running in slowmotion now. My friend doesnt have the original disks that came with the lappy. So i figured I can dl from emachines, but they dont have the chipset drivers on their web page.

Now the cpu usage is almost always over 50%, even with nothing running on it. 16 processes total.

This is the same thing it was doing before we put the new copy of xp on there.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm lost.
Everything is fine in the bios, Ran memetest, all good, ran checkdsk, all good.

m5309
Does anyone know where i can get the chipset drivers for this, as I think it is having a conflict with the windows chipset drivers?

Thanks in advance.

Hicks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
First off... it's an emachines, that's not even worth the scrap metal it's made from... second link doesn't work...

Why the CPU is at 50% with only 16 processes, that's fairly weird, I doubt it's a virus, but I believe it's a software conflict, mayb drivers like you said. If emachines doesn't have the chipset drivers, the company who made the chipset might have the drivers. If it's an intel mobo, then you can probably find it on Intel homepage.

Hicks121

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
Link fixed.

Thanks for the quick response. Ya, its really weird, & I totally agree Dough, Emchines = crap!!

I have located the chip set drivers, but that didnt work either. Its like this thing is running @ 1mhz. I about ready to spill my coffee on it & tell him its toast..lol & take the proc & play some oc'n games.

Its a fresh install of xp, so it cant be any viruses. I dont know what else to try.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, it's a mobile Athlon... ugh...

I'd say this... update all the drivers, network, chipset, graphics, yadda yadda, and see what happens. Flash bios also if possible. If it still doesn't work, tell him that the hamster inside his computer are dieing and he needs a new computer. With shiny dual-core hamsters not made by emachines...

tcsdoc

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2005
I had a similar problem on my eMachines M2350 and had misplaced the restore cd's. I contacted eMachines and bought replacement disks for $20. I received them in 2 days.

Using the restore CD fixed the slowness and driver problem I faced. It might do the same for you.