XP Pro tweaking generic question

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I was wondering if there is a list of reccomended processes to stop or services to uninstall. I know that windows runs a lot of extra crap in the background, but I am generally unsure of what I can stop and what would make my system unstable.

So I was wondering if there was some "known issues" or tools or something that everyone must have.

I am not even sure if this makes sense, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

31computers

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
First, check your Start Folder, and remove anything you don't want. Too many programs all running in the background will always cause problems.

Then check Task Manager, and see how many processes are running-you might get a shock. I Googled it and found some software that tells you which ones you can or cannot disable.

Good Luck

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I was wondering if there is a list of reccomended processes to stop or services to uninstall. I know that windows runs a lot of extra crap in the background, but I am generally unsure of what I can stop and what would make my system unstable.

So I was wondering if there was some "known issues" or tools or something that everyone must have.

I am not even sure if this makes sense, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Here's a good read:

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1590

There are other guides at this site that might prove useful too.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
not sure this will be much help... but if you to go run, and type msconfig, itll bring up the system configuration utility...

usually what i do, is choose Selective Startup under the General tab... deselect 'Process SYSTEM.INI File, Process WIN.INI File, and Load Startup Items'

next i go to the Services tab, and check the 'Hide All Microsoft Services' box, that way youll only see services which arent required, so you can select/deselect any of those

next is the Startup tab, and you can select from a list of nonessential startup apps

anyhow, yeah :)

TRENDING THREADS