scorpe

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2006
just wondering which one i should go for and what exactly are the difference between the two?. since it's gonna be a laptop. what effect will it have on the power consumption? :?: :?:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Core 2 Duo is based off the Core Duo for laptops, so there isin't that much difference. The Core 2 Duo has marginall better power consumption, but nothing earthshattering. It's also a bit more powerful, but again, nothing really earthshattering.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2808

Overall, Merom may not be as big of an upgrade to Yonah as Conroe was to NetBurst, but the bottom line is that you get equal or better performance in every test without increasing cost or decreasing battery life. Owners of Core Duo laptops really have no reason to worry about upgrading for now, and waiting for the Santa Rosa platform before your next laptop upgrade seems reasonable. Those looking to purchase a new notebook on the other hand have no reason to avoid Core 2 Duo models, assuming pricing is consistent with what Intel is promising. There will be a delay of at least a few more weeks as we await availability, and testing and validation by laptop manufacturers may delay things a bit more, but within the next month or so you should be able to get a Core 2 laptop.

Also, take note of this:

While Core 2 Duo does look nice, as long as you've got a good notebook today you'll probably want to wait until Santa Rosa before upgrading (at the earliest). With Santa Rosa, clock speeds will go up slightly but more importantly we'll get access to a faster FSB. Unfortunately a side-effect of keeping Core 2 Duo fed with a faster FSB is that while performance may go up, battery life may go down. It'll be interesting to see what Intel can pull off with the new platform; one of the funny things about performance and battery life is that if you can complete a task quickly enough thus returning your CPU to an idle state faster, battery life will grow even though instantaneous power consumption may be higher.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Aren't Core's 32-bit & Core2's 64-bit? Anyway, for the prices I would say the T7200 is great - It performs very well in my Inspiron 6400.

Jo

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Uh... doubtful anyone is going to build their own laptop, nor drop in a C2D into a current Core Duo laptop...

All about how much the manufactuers mark it up.

Nothing's wrong with 2 mb cache either. It only nets you around 3-5% performance increase on average...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Uh... doubtful anyone is going to build their own laptop, nor drop in a C2D into a current Core Duo laptop...

All about how much the manufactuers mark it up.

Nothing's wrong with 2 mb cache either. It only nets you around 3-5% performance increase on average...

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
I just built my laptop a few months ago! Its workin great. Also my friend who has a Dell XPS (Xtreme Piece of S***) notebook is about to replace is Core Duo with a Core 2 Duo since he is upset that my 1.83ghz performs very similar to his 2ghz, lol he is an odd person!

Specs:
T5600 1.83ghz Core 2 Duo, 667mhz FSB, 2mb L2 Cache
1.50gb Dual Channel DDR2 667mhz Memory
PCIe ATI Mobility X1600 256mb Vid Card (512mb w/ Hypermemory)
120gb WD, 5400rpm, 8mb Cache, SATA HD
DL DVD-RW
15.4' ASUS Notebook Barebone
9 Cell Battery
WinXP Pro
~$1,100

It works well for me!

Best,

3Ball

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Ewwwww... double posting... great...

Don't know why, it seems to plague me... that and some of my posts have been dissapearing lately.. must be ghosts in my computer 8O