My 1st real OC -- Your thoughts?

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Only other OC I've sone was my old AMD 2200+. All I did was change the multiplier, so it was fairly simple. Hence, my 1st REAL OC.

E6300 @ 2.8
Giga S3 @ 400 FSB
G.Skill 2X512 5-5-5-15 PC 6400
Stock HSF

Running at stock vcore, stock mem voltage, etc. Don't think I had to bump any of the voltages at all. Took a gamble and jumped straight to a 400 FSB. Did start out with vcore at bumped a notch, but lowered it back to default. Followed wusy's guide for the most part, but did run into a couple of places where it didn't match up. Everything seems to be stable. No reboots, hard locks, blue sceens, etc.

Question about Prime95. How do I get it run in torture mode? Didn't even see an option for it. Unless there's 2 pieces of software called the same thing, and I got the wrong one... :?

CoreTemp, SpeedFan, and Bios all reading around 32-33 at idle. TAT was showing 51 and 50? Didn't think they'd be that far off.

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Not sure if I'll try and push it to 3Ghz or not.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I should have updated, but no one had responded in a couple of days, so I didn't bother. :)

Coretemp and TAT are the same. Speedfan, Easytune and bios all match, just lower than the other two by about 10C.

That is the stupidist thing i have ever heard. O'Cing is trial and error, not just hit and hope.
Thanks for your opinion. According to a few posts on here, I'm not the only one. I read/researched enough prior to, that I felt comfortable doing it with the hardware I have. Was it still a gamble? Yes, but one that paid off. My rig is running flawlessly. 13+ hours of dual Prime85 in torture mode with zero errors. No BSODs, or anything. I did have to bump vcore up one notch from default as I was getting a quick blue screen when logging out, then it would reboot. Bumping the vcore solved it. And if it didn't work? Reset the bios and start over. Wouldn't be the 1st time someone went too high and had to back down.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Maybe desolationw just doesn't want to acknowledge the OCing capability of the intel Core2. 8)

I actually had a little trouble with 400MHz :oops: , but it basically seemed to be too high of voltages from wusy's guide. Lowering them fixed my troubles.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Took a gamble and jumped straight to a 400 FSB

That is the stupidist thing i have ever heard. O'Cing is trial and error, not just hit and hope.

You're kidding, right? There's nothing wrong with trying to hit it out of the park on your first try, especially when your RAM matches 1:1.

Criticizing someone for getting it right the first time - now THAT'S the stupidest thing that I have ever heard.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Then rejoice because you have a very nice chip, the voltages on the guide are meant for the average one.

I guess I got one of the nice chips too. :) Makes me wanna push for 3.0. I'm not that far away, but my temps are a little high (60 under full load via TAT). Suppose it's safest to wait till I get a better cooler. Although I don't suppose it's all that often that one's rig is actually under a full load. I'll check my temps while in EQ tonight, and see where they're at.

Eojinlim

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006

Someone got off the wrong side of the bed. Congrats on the OC!! Many people on this forum helped me out on the OC with wonderful feedback.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
Witing is definitlely not an issue. My wife caught me on newegg a couple of nights ago. Her exact word, "What the hell are you looking at now? You just spent a ton of money!" Tried to explain the whole heat thing to her, she just doesn't get it. :)

While I'm comfortable with my temps, nothing wrong with getting them cooler. Will probably wait till Feb. when my tax returns come back. Not looking forward to cleaning the stock heat sink pad of the cpu though. I know, shouldn't have used it.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
My wife caught me on newegg a couple of nights ago. Her exact word, "What the hell are you looking at now? You just spent a ton of money!" Tried to explain the whole heat thing to her, she just doesn't get it. :)

ROFLMAO. You have one of those wives too, eh? Sites like Newegg should have a "boss key" like in games in the old days that popped up a spreadsheet so it looked like you were working...

I have to "filter" a few hundred kroner (I'm in Denmark) a month in cash so nothing is obvious, then, when I've got enough for my next piece of kit, get a friend to buy it on his credit card and I give him the cash :)

Hey... it's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission! :wink:

Sublime_OS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006

I registered at this site just so I can call you a stupid idiot... don't try and talk down someone who's new to OCing just because he succeeded with a really good C2D chip on the first try... I used to be an AMD loyalist too... but Intel CPUs are the standard now, and look to hold the lead for quite some time... maybe you should make the switch or just sit back with your X2 and hate life