Should I upgrade my GPU?

Ok so first off, my system specs

Motherboard: 945DPVS or something like that, Intel board
CPU: Pentium D 920
RAM: Corsair 2gb(4x512) DDR2 667
GPU: eVGA 7800GT
PSU: 500W Coolmaster

So anyways I am getting a new monitor, 22". Currently using a 17". As you can see, that is a pretty big difference. I was considering getting a new Graphics Card, because I wasn't too sure my current one would handle it. I know the rest of my PC could use some upgrading, but that would have to wait, don't have the money for it. I probably only have like 300$ to spend on a new graphics card as it is.

I am modest gamer, which is why I ask, I would like my games to be playable, I don't think the 7800GT can do it. Suggestions, comments, whatever. Thanks :)
7 answers Last reply
More about should upgrade
  1. I say, try it on the new monitor.

7800GT is still a good card, and maybe you can save up for a kick-ass R600 or G80.

Your other parts are pretty good. 2gb of RAM is nice, and the CPU isn't total crap.
  2. If you're a modest gamer your 7800GT should be able to last a little longer.
  3. Well at the moment, on my 17" I get like 60+FPS in most things, depending on settings, except like Oblivion, heh.

Now personally, unless I am really trying I can't tell the difference between 30-40 and like 60-100. So guess when I get my monitor tomorrow, I will let you know how itgoes, thanks for the comments :)
  4. Wait till you get the new monitor, and then upgrade if you're not satisfied with the performance.
  5. The craziest thing happened....I am very happy with new monitor, besides the one dead pixel, but I was actually able to fix it. I left a rapidly changing color pallete over it for a few hours while I was at school, didn't think it would work. Got home, and it was fixed.

Anyways though, craziest thing....my performance in all my games has improved. All I can think of is maybe the bitmaps in the games are all for larger resolutions or something?
  6. No worries man.Your 7800gt will run your new monitor no problem.It will run high resolution as well.The 7800gt is considered a good card still,even though you can not buy them anymore.They stopped producing them cause they put out the 7900gt as well as a 7800gtx(which is the same as a 7900gt).Anyways enjoy your new monitor.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
    EVGA NF4 SLI MB
    2X EVGA 7800GT CO IN SLI
    2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
    WD300GIG HD
    EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
    ACE 520WATT PSU
    COOLERMASTER MINI R120
  7. Good call with that monitor.

Save your money for the R6** or the upcoming G84.
    -cm
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics