nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
hi all,

i actually have a zalman 9500 but im not satisfied with my temps, what cooling air is better please ? i have core duo 6600, wishing to o/c it later, and a p5b deluxe

Nova46

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
Not satisfied with a Zalman CNPS9500? What the hell do you have, a Pentium 4? lol. I don't know, a CNPS9700, Scythe Ninja, Tuniq Tower, and Thermalright XP-120 are all good choices. I'm satisfied with my 9500 though.

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
i scratched the cuivre support on zalman i think its the reason why im not getting good temps for this cooler.. how do i polish it ? and does zalman 9700 more efficient than 9500 ?

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
i just ordered a zalman 9700 + thermaright 120 :)

i ll start with installing zalman (i hope its the same support behind the mainboard this way i wont have to unmount it), if not good temp i lll put termaright on it

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
8O u bought 2 highend CPU coolers for one cpu ?

yes come im crazy :p

i had an avoir of 110 euros on website ldlc.com, so i used it :) maybe i ll use only zalman 9700 if i have good temps and keep other for later

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
xD haha gimme one =P .. :b i just got my scythe infinity today, gonna try it later and see if it makes a difference :b im on AMD 3500+ tho =p im just tired of that stock cooler whining so much, and maybe i can punch a little mhz out of it also :$

:b waiting for R600 and RD600 :D gonna see what it brings and then i buy new system

btw whats the price in france with hardware?

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
its wise to wait for r600, it probably gonna kick ass, i just could not wait any longer, i had a 6800gt and many new games were lagging too much for me at medium setting (ex: oblivion)...

in france on website retailers price are 52.9 euros taxes included for thermalright 120 and about same price for the zalman..prices are not very expensive compared to the pieces and computer we can buy in supermarkets, i think its same than for usa..

my new computer costed me 2560 euros (without monitor i had already), if i break it, i dont know if i could survive :p

i already broke my asus striker extreme while unmounting it, on first time :( i broke the pci express 1, i forced a bit too much without benting the security cause i didnt see it very clearly, i contacted asus, hoping they can repair it, the motherboard still works if i put graphic card on pci express 2 or 3 i can go to bios but when exiting bios it asks me to put back graphic card on pci express slot 1.

i was trying to see if someone knows a way to cheat with bios to make it think that my card is on slot pci express 1 when in fact its on pci express 2 or 3, maybe with some modded bios is possible, but i asked on many forums and noones answered me, everyone tell me to rma it...

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
When I built my system i searched high and low for reviews and articles comparing some of the best. I happened across this one: SilentPCReview

It puts some of the top coolers against each other. From what ive read the thermalright ultra 120 is the best air cooler money can buy.

I have yet to see a review pitting the Tuniq Tower 120 Against the Thermalright Ultra 120. If any1 has this info please share it =).

HA_ZEE

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
I use the Big Typhoon on an AMD 4000 chip (OC'd to 2.70 GHZ) and only see about 38*C under heavy gaming. I am very pleased with its performance but I did replace the stock fan on it (hated the black and orange coloring) with a fan that flows more air (70 cfm and only 30db of noise max). Have fun.

cdonato

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
The scratch or the thermal compound application may be the cause of the high temps. Been very happy with my 9500. The 9700 has a larger surface area & larger fan so it should have a better dissipation.

If the scratch isn't too deep try the Arctic Clean cleaner to see if it will do anything otherwise your going to have to use a metal polishing wheel to take it out but that could cause big problems.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Meh, they all have varying degrees of error, but nearly all the top air-coolers perform near identical. Some perform better with different fans, not to mention performance changes at differing air-speeds, ambient, yadda yadda. Either way, most of the large tower recommendations are similar, can't go wrong with any.

The big typhoon VX is also a good cooler, but I'm a fan of tower coolers.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Meh, they all have varying degrees of error, but nearly all the top air-coolers perform near identical.

I agree. The benchmarks I've seen show that there are half a dozen air-coolers that all perform within a couple of degrees of each other. Some benchmarks have one being the winner and the other benchmarks have another. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm not even that convinced that the TEC coolers are significantly better. What I would like to see is a water cooling setup that incorporated a really effective refrigerant, but was still easy enough for non-tech-heads to set up. Anyone heard of anything like that?

nikolov

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
i dont have a polish wheel thats why i ordered 2 extra cooler :) this time i ll clean as5 if needed by..hum what ? i used a cloth, was thinking it was great to clean but apparently not

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
i dont have a polish wheel thats why i ordered 2 extra cooler :) this time i ll clean as5 if needed by..hum what ? i used a cloth, was thinking it was great to clean but apparently not

Try some 40 grit sandpaper, a wood block and lots of elbow grease! :twisted:

Just Kiddin'!!!!

I can't see how any manual polishing method would work. The only thing I can think of (and it sounds absurd but it works):

Get a lemon and one tablespoon of KOSHER salt. It has to be that kind as regular salt won't work. Cut the lemon in half and dip the cut side into the salt. Rub the hell out of the base with the lemon. You'll have to rinse off the salt once you're done with a damp cloth. Not only should you have a nice clean smooth surface, but your PC will smell of a Greek hillside in spring! :lol: