L&G,
Occasionally, my Dell Dimension, XP Home - SP2, Norton AV, Spy Sweep
configured computer fails to "awaken" from "System Standby" (not
Hibernation).

Started after SP2 installed, never before.

One strange consequence, due to having to power-down the computer to
"awaken" it is the curser is changed to have focus changed to "hover". In
other words, I previously had to "click" on a Window to change focus and now
it changes by moving the curser to a Window requiring no Click.

TweakUI fixes the curser.

Any ideas why the "awaken" fails? Thanks

--
Cecil

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:56:02 -0600, Cecil Kearney wrote:

> L&G,
> Occasionally, my Dell Dimension, XP Home - SP2, Norton AV, Spy Sweep
> configured computer fails to "awaken" from "System Standby" (not
> Hibernation).
>
> Started after SP2 installed, never before.
>
> One strange consequence, due to having to power-down the computer to
> "awaken" it is the curser is changed to have focus changed to "hover". In
> other words, I previously had to "click" on a Window to change focus and now
> it changes by moving the curser to a Window requiring no Click.
>
> TweakUI fixes the curser.
>
> Any ideas why the "awaken" fails? Thanks

Installing SP2 changes several system settings back to their default
values. Perhaps this is why the behavior has changed? Try Device Manager>
Mouse properties> Power Management: check box to allow that device to
awaken the system from standby.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks Sharon,
you are probably correct RE: SP2 resetting defaults. And the Device manager
is set (and was always set) to allow the mouse and keyboard to 'awaken" the
computer. The dumb computer just will not get-up some time....Cecil

> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:56:02 -0600, Cecil Kearney wrote:
>
>> L&G,
>> Occasionally, my Dell Dimension, XP Home - SP2, Norton AV, Spy Sweep
>> configured computer fails to "awaken" from "System Standby" (not
>> Hibernation).
>>
>> Started after SP2 installed, never before.
>>
>> One strange consequence, due to having to power-down the computer to
>> "awaken" it is the curser is changed to have focus changed to "hover". In
>> other words, I previously had to "click" on a Window to change focus and
>> now
>> it changes by moving the curser to a Window requiring no Click.
>>
>> TweakUI fixes the curser.
>>
>> Any ideas why the "awaken" fails? Thanks
>
> Installing SP2 changes several system settings back to their default
> values. Perhaps this is why the behavior has changed? Try Device Manager>
> Mouse properties> Power Management: check box to allow that device to
> awaken the system from standby.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Sharon,
I have a similar problem with my brand new HP Pavillion, XP home version,
Norton System Works. Several times over past 2 days since setup the screen
freezes with windows xp "preparing to standby". Mouse and keyboard don't wake
it up, have to power down and reboot. (??)