Time to upgrade my computer v. 100000

***Re-Re-Re-Updated

So what the crap. SLI 680i nVidia chipset boards are lookin to have some issues? I came to the conclusion that...I dont need something for gaming. I dont need something for overclocking. I just want, out of the box, a fast and working computer. Changed up my list a bit. Instead of spending bank on a motherboard, I put some of that money towards more ram, and a faster CPU. Seems like a good idea.......right..?

I ended up switching back to AMD. On Newegg, I can't seem to find a mobo for a core 2 duo that consistently receives good reviews. Here is all that I've changed...

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Windsor 2.6GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA5200CSBOX - Retail

ASUS M2N4-SLI Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
rest of the list is below...

Any input? I beleive my original idea about getting the newest longest lasting technology was good, but it seems that the newer you get, the more bugs that come with it.

----------------
Original Message/Parts List......

Looking to do a system rebuild, seeing as my athlon xp has been pissing me off with how slow it has been recently. searching around newegg things have changed a bit since i've last done this so i have a couple questions.

***Re-Re-Updated***

First off, I am looking for a computer I can "grow in to". Utilizing newer technology standards that will be upgradable say....a year from now. heh. I am not a heavy gamer. The only instance where i'd be interesting in playing a new(er) game would be to see how well my newly built system could handle it.

Reading through tomshardware.com and other places it looks like Intel is the way to go on newer technology.

Here is what I have put together so far on newegg. Let me know if there is anything I can change. Thanks for any info!

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6400 - Retail

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail - More then I really want to be spending on a mobo but I figure that if it guarantees I can run a quad core CPU in the future it's worth it.

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X1024A-6400 - Retail

BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model GSAH22N-BK - OEM

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails - Retail

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-WW Black/Silver Aluminum Bezel, SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

This is starting to make it's way decently above my budget..

Questions would be..
- You think the "value ram" will be a major low point in the system if I am not a big gamer?
- Is any of this stuff blatanty overkill for what I want?
-What's the deal with DVD-R DVD+R DVD+-R?
18 answers Last reply
More about time upgrade computer 100000
  1. Quote:
    Looking to do a system rebuild, seeing as my athlon xp has been pissing me off with how slow it has been recently. Searching around newegg things have changed a bit since i've last done this so i have a couple questions.

First off, I am looking for a computer I can "grow in to". Utilizing newer technology standards that will be upgradable say....a year from now. heh.

Going AMD route with the CPU. dual core or single core? i'd assume dual core? the more the merrier?

Socket 939 or AM2? Reading through this forum a bit seems like AM2 is newer, and to be used with DDR2 ram. Is this supposed to be growing into a new tech standard?

FYI, AMD is killing AM2, best route would be to go Intel with a P965 mobo. If you get a Core 2 now, with that chipset, you can upgrade to quadcore a year down the line. Basically what I'm saying is get an Intel.
  2. Your socket 939 system would have been fine a year ago, now its a dead end. If you want to stay with AMD, get an AM2 system, not a 939. Otherwise, it would be better to go with C2D, as C2d would give better performance for the money.

For your present chioces, if you stay with AMD, make the cpu an AM2 and an AM2 compatible motherboard. Definitely go for a dual core cpu over a single core.

The 7600gt video card is a good stopgap until you go with Vista in the future. Then you can make the choice of an 8800 or a R600. Look for 2 gig of ram if you can afford it. This will be even more important when you migrate to Vista.

Looking forward to future video cards that are power hungry, you might go with a 750wt psu. That seems like a lot of watts and you might get by on less, but that's looking toward the future. You did say you wanted to upgrade in the future. Its only my opinion, but I'd rather buy one large psu now then to buy a smaller one and then have to buy a larger one later. Saves money in the long run.

That's my 2 cents worth. I'm sure others will have their opinions and recomendations.
  3. are you going to be oc-ing?
  4. Quote:
    Your socket 939 system would have been fine a year ago, now its a dead end. If you want to stay with AMD, get an AM2 system, not a 939. Otherwise, it would be better to go with C2D, as C2d would give better performance for the money.

For your present chioces, if you stay with AMD, make the cpu an AM2 and an AM2 compatible motherboard. Definitely go for a dual core cpu over a single core.

The 7600gt video card is a good stopgap until you go with Vista in the future. Then you can make the choice of an 8800 or a R600. Look for 2 gig of ram if you can afford it. This will be even more important when you migrate to Vista.

Looking forward to future video cards that are power hungry, you might go with a 750wt psu. That seems like a lot of watts and you might get by on less, but that's looking toward the future. You did say you wanted to upgrade in the future. Its only my opinion, but I'd rather buy one large psu now then to buy a smaller one and then have to buy a larger one later. Saves money in the long run.

That's my 2 cents worth. I'm sure others will have their opinions and recomendations.

Thanks a lot for the information. I have been an AMD fan for the past ~8 years starting with my 800 duron. The main reason I have been loyal to them has always been pricing. I will look into intel though...

Why would this video card choice not be good with vista?

Apt403:
    Probably not over clocking. Was more of a hobby back in the day, just looking for a stable/fast system now.
  5. The 7600 video card will work with Vista, but is not able to run DX10. It would only allow DX9. If you want to use DX10, then an Nvidia 8800 or an ATI R600 (which is due out in the next month of two) will be required. Of course, more DX10 compatible cards should come out later in the spring and summer.
  6. If AMD go AM2, but I'm starting to wonder if it was a good choice. the athlon 64 performes well but the C2D runs alot faster. I hope AMD has an unforseen trick up their sleeves.
  7. Updated my list to Intel...grand total is right around $1000.
  8. If you will be gaming I would suggeset a x1900GT for a little bit more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102022 $160
    SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT

Also if you're looking for upgrading in the future I would downgrade your CPU to a 6400 and spend the money saved on a 680i Motherboard

Also if you're planning on upgrading to a DX10 card I would make sure you're getting a case large enough to fit one!

Also if you're planning on upgrading in a year you're probably going to need a more powerful PSU (to power maybe a quad core + DX10 card) I'm not sure on this, but those are just some of my suggestions
  9. Quote:
    If you will be gaming I would suggeset a x1900GT for a little bit more

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102022 $160
    SAPPHIRE 100189L Radeon X1900GT

Also if you're looking for upgrading in the future I would downgrade your CPU to a 6400 and spend the money saved on a 680i Motherboard

Also if you're planning on upgrading to a DX10 card I would make sure you're getting a case large enough to fit one!

Also if you're planning on upgrading in a year you're probably going to need a more powerful PSU (to power maybe a quad core + DX10 card) I'm not sure on this, but those are just some of my suggestions

Agree, especially with the larger psu. In the next year, I think a 750wt will seem as an entry level with the DX10 cards. Could be wrong, but I'd hate to buy a psu and then a few months later have to spend the money for the larger one anyway.
  10. Quote:
    Updated my list to Intel...grand total is right around $1000.

If you plan on going DX10 Cards later next year, I would up the PSU to somewhere around 650. Also if the 7600GT will probably bottleneck the CPU and teh RAM in games... I agree with the others, get a x1900. Or you could go with a 7900GS if your an nVidia guy. The 7600GT should be fine if it is temporary until R600 comes out or DX10 comes out and cheaper GF 8 Series.
  11. Quote:
    Updated my list to Intel...grand total is right around $1000.

If you plan on going DX10 Cards later next year, I would up the PSU to somewhere around 650. Also if the 7600GT will probably bottleneck the CPU and teh RAM in games... I agree with the others, get a x1900. Or you could go with a 7900GS if your an nVidia guy. The 7600GT should be fine if it is temporary until R600 comes out or DX10 comes out and cheaper GF 8 Series.

Figure I would use it as a temporary/I'm not a huge gamer so it doesn't matter That much type of video card.
  12. Quote:
    Look for 2 gig of ram if you can afford it

agreed i have had 2 gigs (4 512 sticks) and recently split
    them up to make two computers.

and they are both SLOW. :cry:
  13. What are the likely updates to this system for you? New generation 45nm processors will be on the horizon in the next year or two, and will likely require a new chipset and motherboard anyway. For your selected processor and video card, a P965 motherboard will be fine, and cost $150 less. You would still have considerable upgrade room by upgrading the processor to a x6800, or vga card to a 8800gts.
    A 650 watt power supply is overkill, even with a x6800 cpu and a 8800gts video card. Something in the 400-450 watt range from a good brand should be fine. I like seasonic.
    Any case should function, but you might want a quality quiet case with good ventilation. The antec solo is very nice. The antec P150 is the same case(in white) with a 430 watt power supply. These cases hace convenient washable front filters which will keep your case innards cleaner.
    If you are planning on using the stock cpu cooler, it will do the job, but the fan will run faster and make more noise than you might want. One of the tower coolers such as scythe ninja will do the job for about $50.
  14. Quote:
    What are the likely updates to this system for you? New generation 45nm processors will be on the horizon in the next year or two, and will likely require a new chipset and motherboard anyway. For your selected processor and video card, a P965 motherboard will be fine, and cost $150 less. You would still have considerable upgrade room by upgrading the processor to a x6800, or vga card to a 8800gts.
    A 650 watt power supply is overkill, even with a x6800 cpu and a 8800gts video card. Something in the 400-450 watt range from a good brand should be fine. I like seasonic.
    Any case should function, but you might want a quality quiet case with good ventilation. The antec solo is very nice. The antec P150 is the same case(in white) with a 430 watt power supply. These cases hace convenient washable front filters which will keep your case innards cleaner.
    If you are planning on using the stock cpu cooler, it will do the job, but the fan will run faster and make more noise than you might want. One of the tower coolers such as scythe ninja will do the job for about $50.

My primary area that I would initially look to update would be CPU. What are these 45nm processors? I was under the impression that the intel quad core chip would use the same socket type as the Core 2 Duo I am planning on purchasing now. Thus, I could keep the same mobo, and just upgrade my CPU a year+ down the line.
  15. i have to agree on a few levels with the advice so far, Intel (for now) seems to be the better upgrade path for sure.

Always buy the most memory you can afford, and the best power supply you can afford. BTW check motherboard website or even product reviews of Memory and or Motherboards to see if any memory you buy plays nice with the mobo.

Nothin wrong with value line memory at all for even heavy gamers. Extreem enthusiest wont agree with me but, oh well.

If yur only an occassional gamer and want to pinch a few pennies skimp a lil more on the video card - Geforce 7600gs, ATI x850 maybe? Why spend more if you will be looking at a DX10 card in a few months?

Hard to balance out some things in the whole price/performance arena, but I think if you go with Core2 and just about anything other than a super budget video card, you will be quite happy with the performance increase.

My $0.02
  16. bump for update
  17. sounds like a good system, and very fast. You may not need top components in all areas to have great performance. See the thread: "Discussion: Should we deflate the fast...." One person there points out the DDR667 is as good as the DDR800, for example, and since you can upgrade to quad core in time, keep in mind that you aren't stuck permenently with your CPU speed that you choose now. My bet is the some quad cores (AMD and intel both) will be under $250 in 18 months, and perhaps nearer to $150 for a low end quad.
  18. Quote:
    Nothin wrong with value line memory at all for even heavy gamers. Extreem enthusiest wont agree with me but, oh well.

agreed.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Systems Product